Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts and Computers or Computer Science?

• 16-06-2004 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

I'm going back to college full time next year.
    I'm 23 (male) and applying through the CAO, not as a mature student (even though i could, i don't think you're guarnateed (sp?) a place).

I'm thinking UCD as it's close to home but I'm relativly open.

Bizzarly I'm not overly concerned with the final degree.
    I just want to spend another four years in college, work resonably hard but also have a good time.
    That's why arts/computers appeals to me.

Any suggestions/comment/critisism ?

tribble

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'm in UCD now (just finished 2nd year). I'm doing computer science, but i did it through general science, not denominated entry.

UCD is a nice place (don't let the large amount of concrete put you off). Computer Science in UCD tends to focus more on the theoritical aspect of computer science, though if you are motivated enough you can get some kinda real world experience. The one thing I like about the UCD science course is that it's quite open and you can try many subject, before you decide what you going to do for the next for years. For example I originally wasn't going to do Computer science, but what I found out that 1st year was basically programming I thought it would be an easy year. Now I'm doing it for my degree.

Another good thing about UCD is that it's quite enlosed. There are only student's there, noone just walks through, so it's like a little enclosed town.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Which arts subjects were you thinking of doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Closing date for CAO Change of Mind was 1st of July.

I stuck down Comp. Sci. through Arts as number 1.

I was thinking about doing Information Studies and Psychology (yes, i konw how boring it is).

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by tribble

I was thinking about doing Information Studies and Psychology (yes, i konw how boring it is).

tribble

Why are you doing it if you think it's boring? Or is it that you are interested in it but that others find it boring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Picking something that you have a genuine interest and prior understand off will make life alot easier... There was people leaving my degree who didn't grasp simple things that I understood when I was 15... They were the people who had to study for hours and in most cases learned everything off by heart for exams instead of just understanding it..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Have to agree with Jesus-thats_gre .. pick what suits you now...my first degree was a BA in European Studies and in the first year nearly half dropped out. My 4th year studies Risk management and I noticed that people who could spout the theory didn't know the practice eg could stat e how many sprinklers were needed per square foot but couldn't recognise a sprinkler when handed to them..

So really you should go for what you have an interest in. Learning by rote is no good - practical life afterwards needs more tnan rote learning - real problems rarely come in the exact form as in your exam paper...

You know what you're good at, you know what your aptitude is, you know how hard you will study so really only you can choose your course (others can say that such 'n' such a scourse is a waste but you know your general field..).

Advertisement