Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decks?

• 16-06-2004 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

I've been offered a deal on a set of decks.

Prob is I know nothing about decks, I've been wanting to try mixing for awhile but never had the equipement so don't know if I am about to be ripped off. they are Numark 650's and a mixer. not sure what model the mixer is. the price is 220, I'd say the mixer is nothign special, can anyoen tell if this is a good deal. Since it's my first set I am noty looking for anything great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

go for it! e220 is cheap as chip[s, they'll probably be all right decks, theyre belt driven if i recall correctly but theyre a pretty recent model so they should be grand... if you get into your mixing you will wnat to upgrade eventually but for just messing about and learning the basics that should do you fine. i learnt on a really really dodgy pair of soundlab belt drives, it will take you longer to learn them but you will have experience of playing on a really crap setup which will stand you in good stead. good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Are they 1650's or 650's?

If they are the 1650's, but them! i just bought the TT200's and im really impressed with numark stuff. Dare i say it, but i actually prefer the TT200's to my mates 1210's, even he has said they are nicer to use.

The mixer can be upgraded later on, its sometimes better to start on a simple mixer because you dont get caught up in all the effects etc.

Let us know how you get on.

by the way the 1650's are €169 each on www.musicstorekoeln.de

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

If that's the total price, go for it. You'll need plenty of cash for records when you're starting out. There's no point in spending loads on good decks/mixer if you're not sure whether you're going to keep it up, and as tyranny mentioned, if you learn on a crappy setup, it'll stand to you later. Any monkey can mix on a pair of 1210s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

How exactly does learning to DJ on a cheap set of decks stand up to you later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Originally posted by Son of Blam
    How exactly does learning to DJ on a cheap set of decks stand up to you later?

Well, its a learning curve isn't it?

Instead of going all out and spending hundreds when (in this case) a person has never really done it before, then its the best way to start.
    So the sound quality might not be great... its his technique and traits that he wants to learn. Then, if he gets a good taste for it but will remain a bedroom dj, you can have all the fun in the world with any new gear he gets, and probably do house parties, maybe a few venues... who knows, even get propper gigs in the future OUT of the bedroom! :p

I have been gigging for 7 years, and its amazing the amount of people, friends and aquaintances, who were constantly in my ear with "c'mon, give us a go!". And when I did, they couldn't distinguish a basic 4 beat pattern, 16 beat set, matching beats to the patterns, timing etc etc. Some had mixing/music gear, some didn't, some could learn fast, others were hopeless!

In my opinion (and I don't mean to sound like I'm stripping you down Son of Blam! ;) ), starting off cheap when one has not done it before, but wants to, is probably the best way to go...
    If you can look the part, great. If you have the parts but can't use them... bollox to becoming a dj!

Cheers,

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

It's not the price issues I was on about. It's the "you will have experience of playing on a really crap setup which will stand you in good stead" I was picking up on.

Personally I don't think that practising on a cheap belt driven pair of turntables will make you a better DJ than if you practised on a pair of 1210s, I'd be interested in hearing why people think this is so though. What is it about playing on bad decks that will "stand to you later"?

When I started off buying records I just bought one 1210 and didn't bother learning to mix until I realised that I was buying a lot of vinyl and would probably continue to do so. Only got a second 1210 in April last year. :)

Every club I've played at has had 1210s so maybe I'm missing out on something having had never played on a bad pair of decks before(except for a few house parties here and there, and they were direct drive so I didn't really notice that much of a difference).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you'll have to learn to make corrections a lot faster and a hell of a lot more frequently on a pair of belt drives.
    tbh i'd go for it, you'd pay the best part of 10 times that amount for a set of 1210's and a djm600 (i haven't looked at prices in a long time, correct me if i'm wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭pyramid man

Maybe not 2200 Tman. But you are close. I would say about 1800 new. Although I have been offered the same package as above for 1200. Would have jumped at the chance but the cashflow is a but dire at the moment.

Advertisement