Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Tree and software, ect...

Options
  • 16-06-2004 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Im gonna trace my family`s tree over the Summer.
    ANyone know where I can get free software.

Any tips on where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

I use Ultimate Family Tree and Brother's Keeper
    Check out this page for info on Genealogy software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

As someone who has worked with genealogy professionally, I very highly recommend Legacy Family Tree. They have their standard program available for free download from their site.

It's far better than Family Tree Maker or PAF or a lot of the others.

Are you in Dublin? If so, get as much information as you can from the folks/grandparents, etc. and get yourself off to the Genealogy Service at the National Library on Kildare Street. Don't get it mixed up with the Genealogy Office, which is where all the heraldic stuff goes on. It's actually in the library. The Genealogy Service staff are wonderful, they don't do any research for you, but will tell you what you need to search for next, and where to look for it. If you're not in Dublin, you should probably start by looking at 1901 and 1911 Census records at your local library, before moving on to local Church Records and civil Birth, Marriage, Death records.

You can get more information on this page from the National Library site. Assuming your ancestors are in the 26 counties, you should be able to access just about everything you'll need in Dublin, if that's where you're located.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I use this one - http://www.genopro.com/ Don't know how it compares to the others, but I find it good to use. The auto-arrange function ****s up when there's too many entries or unusual entries though.

A good place to go in Dublin is the Births, Deaths and Marriages registry on Lombard St. It's easy to use once you get used to the way it works. I've found some good information there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 navy

try ancestry.com, but expect to pay fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Genopro is excellent, particularly the reporting feature on it as you can view you info in website form which is good when showing it to relatives who are not as computer literate as you.

Its free too, apparently the company went bankrupt a few years ago and dont accept sponsorship anymore or something like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement