Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croker to host this year Ulster Final

• 16-06-2004 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

It has been announced today that Croke Park will host this years Ulster Final. As a dub it is a good thing, in that there will probably be a few tickets knocking around but if I was from Armagh or Tyrone/Donegal (especially) I do not think I would be too happy about it. What do the rest of you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I think if the Ulster teams are happy playing there then fair enough. It'll mean more tickets available and will probably get a lot of neutrals which would make an even bigger crowd. I'd hope the relevant county boards would take their fans into account when agreeing to it though, as it would be quite costly travelling to Dublin, especially for families.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Clones is one of the worst places to try and get out of on Ulster final day. I've been to three, and the traffic conjestion is horrible. From being to Croker a few times I can safely say that I would certainly prefer to watch a match there rather than Clones.

Last Sunday for example, the main Cavan to Clones road was closed and I heard that some people only got home at 7 pm after a 2.15 throw in. It would only take a half an hour to get from Cavan to Clones normally.

its a complete and utter joke though. once upon a time Wimbledon planned on moving to dublin, next yr hearts are planning on playing a scottish league game in australia and now Ulster football in Leinster.

CLOWNS RUNNING SPORT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

The more HQ is used the better for me. As long as the Ulster teams dont have a bother with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Whatever about the teams, I thought the fans would have issues with it. For example if Donegal make it I would say alot of people would who would go to Clones would not be arsed driving all the way to Dublin. It is a bit rough on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Its probably easier to get to Dublin than Clones from Donegal, in all fairness Waylander. The roads around Clones are a joke. There is one National Secondary road going through it and neither the Donegal supporters nor the Tyrone supporters will be using it to get to the game.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tyrone won't need to worry about it anyway! :D

I reckon Dublin would be just as convenient for the Ulster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Dublin is further away for Donegal fans by an hour or two, but I think its
    good as an experiment and many will probably make the trip. All fans from
    Ulster want to get "their day" in Croke Park and this can be an early taster.
    I think its also good for the players to get to Croke Park as early as possible,
    which I always think is an advanage for the likes of Dublin and the Leinster
    teams who get to play their regularly.

Clones is not easy to reach from Donegal and many fans dont bother
    going there. There's more for fans to do in Dublin if they make a day
    trip of it, etc so you will get some fans going that wouldn't have gone
    to Clones, etc. Also, the Donegal "emigrants" living in the Greater Dublin
    Area might will be able to attend easier.

As for Armagh, they will probably travel in hordes to both venues as they
    are both convenient.

Advertisement