Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Francesco Totti in trouble

• 16-06-2004 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

didn't see it on TV myself, but Danish TV channel DR1 showed footage of Totti's actions.

Francesco Totti apparently spat at Denmark player Poulsen in the face in their encounter on Monday. The Danish FA has filed a complaint with UEFA about it and a decision on what action to take against Totti is expected before Italy's next match against Sweden on Friday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Oh.. please let him get banned.

Anything that increases Sweden's chanses of a victory is good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

He made a serious dirty challenge in that game too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the challenge was a disgrace studs into the knee terrible sportsmanship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Just seen the spitting incident on BBC, the dirty ****er

UEFA have charged him with gross unsporting conduct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Aside from the spitting, he deserves a 5 game ban for the tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I dont rate Totti, only the italians seems to think highly of him. That foul was a bad act and spitting (unless on a german) was disgusting. He should get banned for the rest of the tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    That foul was a bad act and spitting (unless on a german) was disgusting.

now that is a completely uncalled for statement and i would take that back. past history is past history - get over it and accept that Germany has changed. heck, Germany is the country who pay most into the E.U. and Ireland has them to thank most for all the funding Ireland has received over the last decade or so from E.U. funding that has boosted the "Celtic Tiger". anyways, that's going way off topic.

anyways, if people go to:

http://www.dr.dk/sporten/em2004/article.jhtml?articleID=177789

scroll down the page there to see images of the incident if you didn't see the footage.

what kind of action do people think UEFA will take on the matter? if there is no action at all i will be very surprised. i'd expect a 2 to 3 match ban at least.

Originally posted by naitkris
    http://www.dr.dk/sporten/em2004/article.jhtml?articleID=177789

scroll down the page on the link above to see images of the incident if you didn't see the footage.

what kind of action do people think UEFA will take on the matter? if there is no action at all i will be very surprised. i'd expect a 2 to 3 match ban at least.

I'd like to see him banned for the rest of the tournament but like yourself probably a 2 or 3 game ban and a bit of a fine.

A lot could depend on how much power the Italians have within UEFA

Aside from breaking someone's leg it's probably the worst thing you can do on the pitch to another player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Harry2001
    I'd like to see him banned for the rest of the tournament but like yourself probably a 2 or 3 game ban and a bit of a fine.

A 3 game ban is gonna be longer than how many games Italy have left . thejollyrodger whats with the anti German stuff , uve said how u hate them on other threads too .

In my opinion Totti should get a 2 game ban for spitting and a 4 game ban (at least ) for trying to break Henrikson's (i think ) leg .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

That foul was a bad act and spitting (unless on a german) was disgusting.

Sums you up really. As being from germany I find you comments offensive and only that I enjoy this forum I wont lower myself to your level as tempting. Now back outside to play with the other lizards.

• Advertisement

Italy are in serious trouble if he is banned for 3 matches (which is what may happen if UEFA find him guilty of the offence according to the official Euro 2004 website).

it seems Totti is Italy's best player and the man who many are hoping will guide Italy to victory. can't see that happening if he's not on the pitch. he played well against Denmark (bar vicious almost leg-breaking incident and the revolting spitting incident) and i can see it being the biggest blow to Italy to have him banned more than any other of the 22 other Italy players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have yet to see the spitting incident as I havent had a chance to watch tv yet but with that and the terrible tackle at the end of the game he surely deserves some sort of decent reprimand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Saw it earlier on BBC too, disgraceful. And apparently he did it more than once. Chuck the ungrateful c*nt out on his over-rated, primadonna hole and let him rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Damn Totti, i had him down to be top goalscorer. he deserves to be kicked out for the spitting and that horriable tackle. Cant see Italy going very far with or without totti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I dont rate Totti, only the italians seems to think highly of him. That foul was a bad act and spitting (unless on a german) was disgusting. He should get banned for the rest of the tournament

thejollyrodger I expect you to apologise for that comment. I never expect to see a comment like that again from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It wouldn't surprise me if Italy played better without him. He is a good player but I've never seen him put in a good performance in a big match for Italy.

sorry i was only attempting a joke about the match against holland in the 90's where the german player voller got spat twice on. I thought it was funny because he was so angry afterwards (but its not funny), Im sorry.

Ive nothing against Germans or Germany or their football team.

Ich bin traurig

Totti may face ban in spit spat

ITALY is flying in a high profile legal team to defend Francesco Totti in a UEFA hearing today after the star playmaker spat at a Danish opponent in the team's opening Euro 2004 match.

Giulia Bongiorno, who has represented ex-Italian Premier Giulio Andreotti in criminal cases, and the Italian Soccer Federation's chief lawyer, Mario Gallavotti, will lead the defense. Federation vice president Giancarlo Abete was also flying to Lisbon.

The news of the spitting incident sent Italy's training camp into chaos yesterday. They were already facing heavy criticism for the lacklustre play in Monday's 0-0 draw with Denmark when the Danish team issued a formal complaint with UEFA after watching television footage.

"We have instigated disciplinary proceedings against Francesco Totti for gross unsporting conduct, notably a spitting offense against the Danish player (Christian) Poulsen," UEFA said in a statement, adding that the Italian federation will have 24 hours to appeal.

The move will probably lead to a suspension or fine for Totti. Italy's next match in Group C is against Sweden tomorrow and they then face Bulgaria on Tuesday.

Italian federation vice-president Innocenzo Mazzini, who is also the head of the Italian delegation at Euro 2004, said the team was shocked by the news.

"We have faith in UEFA that they will handle this properly. We're already gathering our own evidence, however. I spoke with Totti and nobody likes to be at the centre of a disciplinary hearing, but he was calm and hopeful," Mazzini said.

If Totti is suspended, coach Giovanni Trapattoni would have to reshuffle his entire attack, possibly moving Alessandro Del Piero into Totti's playmaker role and adding Antonio Cassano as a striker alongside Christian Vieri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Originally posted by Dewey
    Damn Totti, i had him down to be top goalscorer. he deserves to be kicked out for the spitting and that horriable tackle. Cant see Italy going very far with or without totti.

hahah you picked him for top scorer? That was NEVER going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Personally, i'd feel more strongly bout the spitting and think that deserves the longer ban. Anyone can be guilty of bad tackling on an occasion, I'm not condoneing it but it can happen in a flash on the pitch before you even get a chance to think, it can sometimes be a lot worse than the player intended it to be. I havent been watching Italian football over the last couple of seasons, but does anyone know if this is characteristic of totti?

Thats the sort of stuff that collina looks at and if its not something he ever does then would look on it slightly more lenientely, which is kind of a good thing, as i said even the nicest players ( with the exception of Gary Linaker) are prone to one or two slip ups during their career.

The spitting thing on the other hand is the single most disgusting and disrespectful ting you can do to another player (or anyone for that matter) and deserves a hefty ban.

Did Rjykaard (sp?) get a long ban after he spat on Voeller?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Stekelly

I think he got a three match ban

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He's a scumbag, and a primadonna with nothing to show for it. Italy are better off with out players like him in their squad (half of their forward line).

Just saw the pictures, apperantly he tried spitting SIX TIMES!!!
    He hit him on the shirt three times and on the face twice.

The danish had already complained about the spitting in media, and once the journalist found the pictures they reported him.
    The decision is coming in a few hours.

Sinisa Mihajlovic did about the same thing (bad foul + spitting) and was banned from eight games.
    Unless Totti can come up with a very very good excuse, I think we've seen the last of him for this championship.

And yeah, while I'm posting, whats up with the anti-german stuff? I think Germany are pretty alright, as a team and as a country. I find it unlikely german people have done anything to you, and you are about two generation late for having a legitimate reason for hating them. Simply put, drop it, you will not find any support here and it will just end up getting you in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Stekelly
    Personally, i'd feel more strongly bout the spitting and think that deserves the longer ban. Anyone can be guilty of bad tackling on an occasion, I'm not condoneing it but it can happen in a flash on the pitch before you even get a chance to think, it can sometimes be a lot worse than the player intended it to be. I havent been watching Italian football over the last couple of seasons, but does anyone know if this is characteristic of totti?

Thats the sort of stuff that collina looks at and if its not something he ever does then would look on it slightly more lenientely, which is kind of a good thing, as i said even the nicest players ( with the exception of Gary Linaker) are prone to one or two slip ups during their career.

The spitting thing on the other hand is the single most disgusting and disrespectful ting you can do to another player (or anyone for that matter) and deserves a hefty ban.

ur comments are true except I think the kick deserves a longer ban , u may not have got to see it much but Totti went in with his studs just above the knee when the ball was on the ground , he didnt even look at the ball . The only difference between this and Roy Keane and Alf Haaland is that Henrikson was ok and it didnt help ruin his carerr , unlike Haaland .

I think UEFA are going to have to ban him for the rest of the tournament. Its only right. If you have seen the numerous attempts he made at him and the actual spittting directly into his face is enough to ban him from the rest of the tournament. The late tackle he made (which was lucky not to break the Dainish players leg) was very cynical.

Totti hasnt produced the goods in this tournament and I dont think he will either, should he actually manage to stay on.
    And yeah, while I'm posting, whats up with the anti-german stuff?

I am supporting Holland in this competition and I did already appologise

He got a three game ban according to aftonbladet.se (Swedish newspaper).

I am supporting Holland in this competition and I did already appologise

Holland is my second favourite team after Sweden.
    I lived just outside Amsterdam for 3,5years, and I was there for Euro2000 (saw the semi-final between France - Portugal) :)

The Dutchies have a legitimate reason for disliking germans... they should have won that game back in 1958 ;)

Totti banned for spitting

Totti will miss his side's next two Group C qualifiers against Sweden and Bulgaria as well as the quarter-finals should the Italians qualify.

The 27-year-old was charged with gross unsporting misconduct after the incident during Italy's 0-0 draw with Denmark on Monday.

Italy have been given 24 hours to appeal against the decision.

Totti, was booked in injury time for a high tackle on Danish defender Rene Henriksen, left without comment after the three-hour disciplinary committee hearing in Lisbon's Hotel Meridien.

The Danish Football Association (DBU) made an official complaint to Uefa after images of the incident were picked up by Danish television and had originally pushed for a four-match suspension.

Italy brought in top lawyers Giulia Bongiornand Mario Gallavottito defend Totti, arguing that the player had been provoked by Poulsen.

But Uefa's six-man disciplinary committee - led by Spain's Joseph Louis Vilaseca and including judges from Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, Hungary, Scotland and Germany - found Totti guilt of the offence.

Italy coach Trapattoni is expected to move Alessandro Del Piero into Totti's role and promote Roma youngster Antonio Cassano into the starting line-up as a striker alongside Christian Vieri.

In November, Lazio's Sinisa Mihajlovic was suspended for eight matches by Uefa's disciplinary committee after being sent off against Chelsea in a Champions League match.

He spat at and kicked Chelsea players during his side's 4-0 home defeat and was also guilty of "improper conduct" towards a Uefa official after being dismissed for two bookable offences.

The spitting incident had echoes of the ugly clash at the 1990 World Cup between Dutch midfielder Frank Rijkaard and Rudi Voeller of Germany, now the national coach.

Rijkaard spat at Voeller as he ran past the German striker and the two became embroiled in an altercation which ended with both being sent off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2004/italy/3812903.stm

Originally posted by muffen
    He got a three game ban according to aftonbladet.se (Swedish newspaper).

har just läst det på aftonbladet.se finns på nästan alla andra fotbolls-sajter också. han är ej så bra en spelare, men han är en nyckel spelare för Italien för att dem skall kunna göra mål. bra nyheter för Sverige!

news of this is all over the place, 3 match ban, don't think Italy will last longer than 3 matches at most anyway and they've lost a key player which makes things much worse for them particularly when they're up against Sweden tomorrow.

• Advertisement

har just läst det på aftonbladet.se finns på nästan alla andra fotbolls-sajter också. han är ej så bra en spelare, men han är en nyckel spelare för Italien för att dem skall kunna göra mål. bra nyheter för Sverige!

Jupp, agreed. He may not be the best, but he is considered a "god" by the italians, and loosing him will be a blow to their moral.

I'm getting Atlanta - 94 flashbacks now :)
    Back then we had Brolin/Dahlin as goalscorers, and Kenneth Andersson behind runnig up to score (man o man did I love seeing him draw his two pistols).

This time we have Henke and Zlatan up there, and Fredrik Ljungberg running up from behind.
    Sweden, or Swedes in general actually, are very good at sticking together and being organized, so defensewise we've never been bad really (we don't have a history of letting in goals).

I know you should never get your hopes up, and I am really trying not to, but a win against Italy seems completly possible right now, and quarterfinals aren't too far away.

We might just get somewhere ... fingers crossed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Originally posted by BigEars
    The only difference between this and Roy Keane and Alf Haaland is that Henrikson was ok and it didnt help ruin his carerr , unlike Haaland

WTF does this thread have to with Roy Keane. Its widely acknowledged that it was the other knee that Keane connected with. Why do you think he dropped his case? Stop trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This tread is digressing into farce!! thejolly made a joke about the Riightguard (sp?lol) incident that absolute nobody got and then everybody starts bitching about!

Then somebody starts moaning because somebody mentioned Roy Keane! How dare he make comparisons!! Down with that sort of thing!!

and then..

Don't even know what that is about????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I actually think Itally will be a better team now that Totti is suspended. They will now play with 2 up front and Del Piero in his favourite position behind them.

BTW, Bazmo - muffen and naitkris are both Sewdish.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    BTW, Bazmo - muffen and naitkris are both Sewdish.:)

Ah, I know. I was just being silly.

btw where do Sewdish people come from? :D;)

Then somebody starts moaning because somebody mentioned Roy Keane

What I was complaining about was not that someone mentioned Keane but the fact that what was mentioned has been discussed long and hard and has no basis in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by kida
    What I was complaining about was not that someone mentioned Keane but the fact that what was mentioned has been discussed long and hard and has no basis in fact.
    All he was saying is Keane got banned for just as bad a tackle but it really can't be compared as Keane admitted he meant to break AIH's leg.

Not strictly correct he said Keane ruined his career.

OK back on Topic

Can't believe he didn't admit it - he might have gotten a lesser ban - 2 matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I cant believe it. 3 games is a bit harsh. it was a disgusting thing to do tho and im not proud of him.Im a big roma fan and i was looking forward to watching him in this tournament. He`ll be missed. this is the man who scores 20 goals a season in serie a from attacking midfield.

Does anybody remember Diouf`s spitting incident with the celtic fans. he wasnt dealt with as severely and spitting on fans is considerabley worse than spitting on another player.

Advertisement