Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Managing

• 16-06-2004 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I have been asked by my brother and his friends to manage a team they are forming for next season.

Does anyone have anyone have any tips for me?

I think they will be in the Amateur League, they are aged between about 18 to 22, there are 16 of them.

I have been wanting to go in to managment for a couple of years now, and I was going to try start lower down the age groups, maybe with an Under-13 team or something, but this opportunity came up, so I think I will do it.

I need to know the best ways to decide what formation to play, which players to play where. I was going to just ask each player where he would prefer to play, and try and work something out from there?

Also, I need to know the best way to tell players they won't be in the starting 11, especially for the first game.

Because my brother will be on the team, I need to know the best way to treat him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hadn't even thought of that. Good idea, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by seansouth
    I hadn't even thought of that. Good idea, cheers.

LOL can you even manage without them??
    No offence but if we got a new manager who hadnt got them i would tell him to go **** himself.

Seriously thats like think about driving a car but not getting a licence.

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    LOL can you even manage without them??

Do you mean that the league won't let me do the job without them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by seansouth
    Do you mean that the league won't let me do the job without them?

Depends on the League but as Smarias said you really should do it , on www.fai.ie all the details.

kdjac

Originally posted by smiaras
    No they will let you of course but lots of people who go into management seem to think that its easy peasy.

I am under no illusions that it will be easy, none at all. But I am prepares, I think, for this. I know we are a new team, and will encounter many problems.
    Originally posted by smiaras
    ...you've the advantage of dealing with adults, on the other you seemingly have no experience and may be resented for this...

I don't know if they will resent me, as they came to me and asked me to manage them. They know I have no experience, but then, neither do they have experience of actually playing for a team. We are all in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I assume you won't be doing freindlies sean?;)

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I assume you won't be doing freindlies sean?;)

Nice one eirebhoy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Why did they ask you? First off you dont exactly give off confidence. Mighty wanna change that.

Also you need to start with the basics and coach them how to defend corners, free kicks. How to get the back four playing offside as a unit. How to get players to cover each other when out of position................ etc etc

Depends on your team but a basic 442 seems like a good starting point unless you have five class midfielders and only one striker.

Also if you only have 16 players you need a certain amount of dedication. ie start off saying that training has to be attended and reasons why bla bla bla.................you just need to make sure everyone is there that can be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

/me contemplates creating Boards, the football team, heh.

Advertisement