Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you cheat?

Options
  • 16-06-2004 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

A friend asked me this question today, and I'm curious about others' answers.

Two days before the English exam -- by some miracle -- someone hands you both of the English papers.

Would you look at them, or would you get rid of them immediately, believing that there's no point in cheating, because it won't be your real grade that arrives in August?

Answer honestly. We won't judge -- much.

Would you cheat? 45 votes

Yes, of course I'd look at them.
    0% 0 votes
    No, I'd discard them. Have you no morals?
    100% 45 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Corona

If it was 2 days beforehand, and no-one would know or be able to prove it, then yes I would! However I wouldn't risk cheating during the exam itself - ie: Sneak in notes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

83% saying yes already.

What's the world comin' ta? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i would definately use those papers for revision purposes :p But no way would i ever cheat during the actual exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    i would definately use those papers for revision purposes :p But no way would i ever cheat during the actual exam.

ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Someone was caught during maths paper 2 cheating in my school, notes in the pencil case ordinary level too, jesus how stupid is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Were we not over this? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    Someone was caught during maths paper 2 cheating in my school, notes in the pencil case ordinary level too, jesus how stupid is that?

What happened? Was he kicked out of the exam? Think he got banned from the LC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts

Well if they were risking failing it, then it's not *that* stupid. Wrong, yes. Stupid, maybe. Loads of people in one exam centre in my school have been cheating... some openly. Superintendants just ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

If you're going for a high-points course, the difference between getting the points and not could cost you hundreds of thousands of euro in lost income in your lifetime.
    You'd be a spa not to look at the papers if u somehow got them.

Its different to cheating in the exam.
    And morals aren't an issue, i pity the fool whose still worried cos they cheated in the leaving cert and got away with it, a week later.
    But hey, two of my teachers are on commetties that set LC papers :p

I had a really weird dream about that last night... someone accidentaly posted all the exam papers onto the SEC website and I downloaded them all, but nobody else noticed. My dreams are so fecked up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Wow, I had the exact same dream. I went to www.examinations.ie and voila in one of the directories all of the exam papers were just sitting there in pdf format.

Maybe it's a premonition? I'm probably going to start going to examinations.ie obsessively now. Always in the hope of some miracle/cock up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Of course I'd cheat. The last 9 months or so have been absolute hell with all the studying. F*** the honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

People that say yes are telling the truth. People that vote no are lying. If anybody saw there leavin paper infornt of them beofre there exam, of course they would look. No one would say i'm only kiddin myself.

By the way I thought there was already a long a lengthly thread on this subject that came to no conclusion. Are we not shotting ourselves in the foot by starting a thread on the same subject again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Yeah i'd look at the papers but I don't think i'd bring notes into the exam. Unless I was really desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by stuey
    People that vote no are lying.

Actually, I was telling the truth. :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

In the case of english, I would have read what poets were coming up and things like that. So I could know not to waste my time studying crap that I don't need.

It would only be furthering the work I have already done like.

Sure. It's nearly all over anyway.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

to be honest i dont think i would have the ball's to........................

well i dont think i would.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

People that say yes are telling the truth. People that vote no are lying. If anybody saw there leavin paper infornt of them beofre there exam, of course they would look.

I said No, and I was telling the truth. Tsk to me.
    By the way I thought there was already a long a lengthly thread on this subject that came to no conclusion. Are we not shotting ourselves in the foot by starting a thread on the same subject again?

Sorry. Only a newbie, so I wasn't aware that a similar thread had been started before. Apologies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

honestly without a shadow of a doubt no moral issues with me on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Of course I would. Only if no-one will ever know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Last night in study, I wrote the equations for Photosynthesis and Respiration on my hand, in shorthand.

Went for a shower and all this morning, and they were both still faded on my hand.
    Went into biology this morning, in the short questions, 'name a catabolic reaction' came up - looked at my hand.

After asking for graph paper, teh examiner noticed the faded writing on my hand (along with the red pen writing - "Q1c1" and the likes - to remind myself to go back to question's i'd missed.

Examiner stopped, but said nothing. The cheat wasn't intentional, but he didn't give a ****. At the moment, I've got GUI's quotes on my hand - tips for the exam -
    "rape her, top performance, surprise sex, she wont see it coming, professional job''.
    I'm gonna rape the paper tomorrow.

Cheating < win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The vast majority of superintendents dont want the hassle of catching somebody cheating. Thats the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Realpolitik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

i did.

i'm bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

You could always just keep a sheet of notes in your pocket and ask to go to the bathroom when you need to have a look...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ya, but after your second trip to the jaxx, things look suspicious. And theres only so much you can remember on the walk back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

*me grins suspiciously* ;)

Advertisement