Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voip

• 16-06-2004 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations for a decent voice over ip offering in this country? One that will allow me to get rid of my eircon LL.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I wouldn't bother with VoIP. I've been trying the same thing and it is dire. I was using Net2Phone and there is about a two second delay. The person on the other end sometimes hears an echo which annoys the **** outta them. The sound quality is worse than a standard phone line. The sounds is constantly cutting off for fractions of a second - enough so that you miss a syllable and have to ask the other person to repeat what they just said.

I used it for about an hour last night and couldn't take it anymore. Hopefully it will get better in the long term as the technology improves but at the moment I'm sticking to the old Eircom line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I've been using packet8.net. As long as your broadband connection is good quality, you should get the same sound quality (or better) than a normal telephone line (toll quality, as it is called).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    I've been using packet8.net. As long as your broadband connection is good quality, you should get the same sound quality (or better) than a normal telephone line (toll quality, as it is called).

Interesting...

I have 512Mbps. How do you find it? Can you notice any difference between it and the normal phone? Is there any delay/echo? What about the person you are talking to, do they notice any difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to BB. You'll also be more likely to get (more) suggestions over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Originally posted by Urban Weigl

Yeah, in my investigating it seems that packet8.net are pretty good.

Are they not US only though Urban ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement