Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal v Russia

• 16-06-2004 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Portugal 1-0 up after six minutes, Maniche with the goal.

The Russian keeper Ovchinnikov has been sent off on the stroke of half time, for hand ball outside the area when he obviously couldn't avoid touching it and was trying to do so. Another crap ref decision for the annals in this tournament.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

stupid stupid decision

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

have to disagree. he had to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Very harsh decision, I don't even think his hand touched the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by mayordenis
    have to disagree. he had to go

Have to diasgree with your disagreement, the replay clearly showed he did not touch it - even if there was three or four microseconds where his hand brushed against it, it was obvious he was trying to get his hands out of the way.

Brutal decision, probably cost Russia this game, and him and Smertin are suspended for the next game so I wouldn't fancy their chances against Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thought it was definitely a peno when I saw it live, after the replay I knew it wasn't. Did his hand even touch the ball?

Anyway, the ref doesn't get a 2nd chance to see it, but I hope he rescinds the card so the keeper can at least play in their last match.

Portuagl agaisnt 10 men and they're still playing crap. Plenty of possession but they just don't have the cutting edge (apart from a wonderful flowing movement that lead to Figo hitting the post). The Portugese forward options are crap.

Greece and Spain to go through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Class goal there by costa

Ronaldo is brilliant :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

portugal just won!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Thought it was definitely a peno when I saw it live, after the replay I knew it wasn't. Did his hand even touch the ball?

In all fairness it would have been a bit of an awful decision if the ref gave a peno for the keeper handling the ball in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Russia unlucky to go 1 down but played better anyway!

I was hoping they'd equalise as thier second half deserved something.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So it looks like Russia will be without some(more) players for the last game against Greece. Greece should beat them, and win the group, which means its a Portugal -v- Spain play off for Second Place in the group. I haven't seen tonights game, but I'd like to see Spain going through here.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    In all fairness it would have been a bit of an awful decision if the ref gave a peno for the keeper handling the ball in the box.

You sure you didn't mean outside the box?

There's two of us in it...;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fingers crossed Spain dump Portugal out of the tournament next weekend, the less of those diving Porto ****ers in Euro 2004 the better. Anyone see Maniche making a good effort at copying Rivaldo's WC02 antics when Alenitchev (his teammate i believe?) kicked the ball at him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah saw that, "agh I've been shot in the face" Rivaldo should have patented it.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Thought it was definitely a peno when I saw it live,.

dont tryin to be argumentative but it was outside the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The Russian keeper was very unlucky. When you watch the slow motion replay you can see that there's no noticable change in the spin on the ball as it passes his hand. Either the contact was negligible or non existant.

That said from the referees position it probably did look like he stopped the ball with his hand. The funny thing is that if Russia hadn't gone down to 10 men they probably would have lost. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

There is no way he should have got a red card for that.. He went feet first and it was clearly accidental. I think I saw a player handle the ball in the penalty area and he only got a warning or a booking. Russia have been unlucky in this tournament. Portugal looked a bit better last game but not exactly tournament winners. Rui Costa and Figo are passed it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by mike65
    Yeah saw that, "agh I've been shot in the face" Rivaldo should have patented it.

will there be any action for this? I believe it should be reported.

Originally posted by mayordenis
    dont tryin to be argumentative but it was outside the box.

I know (so does Jivin Turkey). And I'd amend the original post only I can't be ars*d.

I typed it and submitted the reply before I realised what I'd said. Sh*t happens.

Advertisement