Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a dull tournament so far

• 16-06-2004 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

I know its a bit early to judge but does anyone else think that there has been a shocking lack of actual action in all the matches to date. The last 20 mins of the spanish match were about the most flowing to date. England france barring 3 mins produced about 4 other incidents of note in the entire match.

Teams are playing like they don't know each other. Worse defensive formations like 4 5 1 are leading to very little forward play. The only excitement so far has been generated by young players like Ronaldo, Torres and Joacquin. Established players barring Zidane have produced very little. Anyone agree disagree?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well sweden were entertaining and i though the czech match was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought that earlier this evening before the Russians woke up. Still as they say "all to play for now".

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think it's been a little disappointing so far, yes. Teams seem to be approaching games extremely cautiously, there are generally very few chances in matches and there haven't been many great goals (no scorching long range efforts at least).

Still, some games have been pretty entertaining - I enjoyed watching both the group C matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

first team i've seen joaquin and he was definately impressive, ronaldo has been useful both times hes come on
    i think zidane was expected to do too much without much assistance and no width on the left for the most part, he should be better tomorrow, and the rest of the french team hopefully
    there have been some defensive tactics so far, but hopefully when the group stages are over more teams will go for it

i think spain have been most impressive so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Wrong, there has only been one dissapointing day of games so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I has been alittle disappointing but i'm enjoying the tourament as it goes on.
    The best match has been England v. France. not for football, just for the last 3 minutes.
    Spain look class to me. i watched them against Greese today and looked really good. they had a winger who came on in the second half who was brilliant, forget his name. Portugal have been very disappointing and i cant see they getting threw to the next round. Cant wait for Spain vs. Portugal, Czechs v. Germany/Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I wouldn't say it's been a dull tournament. Quite a few of the teams havn't hit top form yet and some of the matches have lacked shots on target but most of them have been entertaining.
    they had a winger who came on in the second half who was brilliant
    Joaquin. Good player. He's been a Real Madrid transfer target all season long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

no scorching long range efforts at least
    I thought the Greece goal against Portugal in the first match was a bit of a screamer ;)

Been enjoying the tournament but nothing to really write home about if ya know what i mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Totti's free-kick that was saved by sorenson

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I love the fact that at the moment there are a lot of teams who can get out of the group - makes each game a little more interesting - especially game 3 of each group where one bad result can send anyone home.

I feel that one of the lesser teams will win it this year - Sweden/Czech etc

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

No way! I think it's been a great tournament so far. For one thing, only one game so far has been a pasting and even then the scoreline didn't fully reflect the quality of the respective sides.

Not to many goals so far but lots of good football played IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

pigman II I think theres been a lot of "good football" all right. Teams are playing safe and not losing the ball cheaply. however they're also not doing much with the ball. This leads to a good standard of football but fairly boring matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Cant wait for Spain vs. Portugal, Czechs v. Germany/Holland.

me either, I think they will be great games.

Its hasnt been the best tournament so far but it might pick up now that each of the pools have played a game and they really have to go out and win. I was disapointed by the russian side when they went 1 down, they had to win that match and didnt seem to care.

Portugal dont look great, they look like the tournament hit them a 1 or 2 too late. A lot of the teams looked like they were taking it easy. maybe its the heat:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

for me this tournament hasbrought back the classic winger.
    So many teams playing the get the ball down the flanks approach.

rather than try to use the midfield and attack in force as i have felt soccer has gone over the last decade.

its been brilliant tournament some great goals.
    zidanes free, larsons header, van nistolroysequilizr.

Im loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Its not a patch on 2000 but its had its moments. Greece have been entertaining, the Latvia-Czech match seemed good from what I saw. Also, the France-England match was fascinating, maybe not the spectacle people expected but I was glued to my seat.

Expect things to pick up from the last group matches onwards. Spain-Portugal has ding-dong battle written all over it, and the Dutch and Germans have both to meet the Czechs yet. Sweden against Denmark and Italy should be crackers as well.

Have heart.

Advertisement