Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband offers are dangled, but are you in a position to accept?

Options
  • 17-06-2004 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Broadband offers are dangled, but are you in a position to accept?

I was hoping for a free surfing holiday this summer, courtesy of Eircom or Esat BT, whose ads for a free three-month broadband trial pop up every time I log onto the internet. But for me, the offer is illusory.

I'm not eligible because my phone line doesn't appear to be broadband-friendly. Instead of surfing the net free gratis this summer, myself and other frustrated broadband wanabees are stuck at the bottom of broadband mountain, with only flat internet rates for sustenance.

Broadband, the high-speed, always-on connection that allows you to surf the internet, download bigger files faster and make telephone calls at the same time for a flat monthly rate, has been heralded as the way forward for internet users.

Over the past few years, take up of DSL - standard broadband technology - has been small in this country, although fresh initiatives have increased the number of current Irish users to 50,000.

Many people still have no idea what broadband means, how much it costs or how to access it.

Worse still, some internet users who want to install broadband at home simply can't because the existing system doesn't allow them.

The industry says broadband is a sensitive technology that depends on two factors; line quality and distance from your telephone exchange. If your phone line fails initial DSL suitability tests, work may need to be carried out to upgrade it, but Eircom won't offer this to you on a plate.

Critics say patchy broadband access actually comes down to politics and virtual control of the service by Eircom, which continues to leave many internet users paying more money for a slower internet service.

At present, it's estimated that 65pc of the country is broadband-enabled although the sceptics say this figure is optimistic. As things stand, frustrated internet users could be forgiven for thinking Eircom is spending money on advertising broadband than on expanding the system and delivering on its promise.

Not so, says an Eircom spokesperson: "85pc of Dublin is broadband-enabled and it is a huge project to enable the entire country. We hope to have 100,000 users by the end of the year."

In 2003, companies like Eircom, UTV, Esat BT and NTL all offered free installation and special introductory rates to bring more people over to broadband. In recent weeks, the gloves appeared to come off in a broadband price war, with free three-month trial offers from Eircom, UTV, Esat and lesser known companies like Digiweb, who provide wireless and satellite broadband connections.

In fact, there is no price war. While they may differ slightly, the current free offers are courtesy of an Eircom wholesale promotion.

UTV internet, whose Clicksilver product is part of the batch of free trial offers, refused to speak to us about the state of broadband in Ireland on the basis of their contract with Eircom.

So what is the deal with broadband access? If I log onto www.broadband.gov.ie, I'm provided with a comprehensive list of broadband providers and prices, an excellent start for someone checking out broadband for the first time.

When I key in the area I live in, I'm given a list of providers who operate in that area. So far so good.

However, when I check with individual companies like Eircom, UTV and Esat BT, I'm informed that broadband is not currently available to me.

The industry says it is moving as rapidly as possible to provide a service for as many people as possible but the fact remains that I live three miles from the centre of the capital and still cannot access broadband.

Residents of towns like Newbridge, Maynooth, Ardee and Roscrea, recently cited by Communications Minister Dermot Ahern which need basic DSL service, will know how I feel.

Eircom tells me it operates in my area and that it cannot understand why my phone line is failing the initial DSL test. There may be a fault on the line which needs to be corrected.

If they don't find the answer, there may be future alternatives. NTL, which provides broadband through its cable network, labels itself as the alternative local loop and plans a €100m expansion of its broadband service in the next two years, but also claims that in the past, it has gone into areas selectively depending on which other company is operating there.

At the moment, it cannot offer me broadband, and will not say when that service is likely to be available to me.~

If I live in an area totally without broadband, I could lobby my local residents group or chamber of commerce to push for access.

The Government currently pays telecos between 30pc to 50pc of the cost of installing broadband in a particular town, as fixed wireless provider Digiweb has done in places like Donabate, Co Dublin and Virginia, Co Cavan.

Again, Digiweb is planning to expand its services in Dublin north and west so at present, this option is unavailable to me.

But what if you are broadband-enabled at this point in time and are lured by Esat's 'no strings attached' or Eircom's 'free summer surfing' offers? What are the pros and cons of signing up for a free trial?

In general, these free trial offers run until the end of August. With Eircom, you initially sign up for a 12-month contract, with the first three months free and no installation charge.

With Esat BT and UTV Internet, if you don't disconnect at the end of the free period, you automatically kick into a 12-month contract and will be charged an installation fee of up to €90.

Eircom says there is no need for either company to charge this installation fee since the wholesale offer waives it.

Instead, both Esat and UTV are offering an extra month free, worth less than half the installation cost. If you do sign up for a 12-month contract with any company, make sure you ask what penalties are incurred if you later break it.

There may also be other strings attached. While Esat BT's offer is stand-alone, you can only pay their bills by credit card or direct debit, a turn-off for some consumers.

To avail of UTV's service, you must also sign up for their home phone service, which claims to offer 25pc savings on Eircom local, national and international rates and 5pc on Eircom mobile phone rates.

When choosing a broadband provider, check download capacity on a monthly basis - Eircom's basic broadband rate is more expensive, but offers less capacity than Esat or UTV.

However, if you're an Eircom anytime flat rate user and are broadband enabled, they will offer you a year's broadband service at your old flat rate, with no installation fee.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=35&si=1199367&issue_id=11008

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ha ha ha ha ha

1) Trigger exchange needs more signup than households exist.

2) 900m from exchange with GOOD line and analog Internet is erratic continiuosly getting dropped by eircom end.

3) 900m from DIGITAL exchange and they can't give me ISDN (they suggested Hi-Speed as solution to internet). Quote "No space for ISDN plant in Exchange at present"..

A Digital exchange *NATIVELY* does ISDN .. You need EXTRA gear to provide analog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

just because your 900m from the exchange doesnt mean the copper is only 900m, it could be looping back on itself for all you know.

Advertisement