Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Subjects

Options
  • 17-06-2004 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Some people in my school who've been doing ordinary level subjects (mainly maths and business) and who *think* they're going to fail, have been taking honours on the day and then leaving the exam after 30 mins. Their reasoning: "It looks better if you fail honours than if you fail pass". (Little do they know that they'll probably get an NG in honours where they could have had a chance of maybe even getting a D in pass if they had even bothered to try...). Does this happen in alot of schools? It just seems so retarded. People staying in school for about 14 years, then just giving up after about 30 mins on probably the most important exam they're going to take in school.

To me, it seems like the ultimate example of retardedness. But does it happen alot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

There's one or two people in my class that always leave when they can. One doesn't care, he's getting an apprenticeship so he doesn't need the LC. The other's repeating, she doesn't really care either.

Seems a bit stupid to me, really. If you don't care, then why bother doing it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

To get "the cred" for leaving early, of course, so everyone knows exactly how much you don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    To get "the cred" for leaving early, of course, so everyone knows exactly how much you don't care.

Yeah, there's one guy who's so feckin cool he makes his car backfire whenever he leaves (usually 30 mins into the exam). He's just my idol. :rolleyes:

One of the girls in my business class came up to me about a half an hour after it to tell me how she had forgotten all about it. "Oh, like, I slept in like, ****, ahahaha". She's just so laid back and chillin, innit. This is the same girl who said at Slane last year that she thought the fireworks were yokes exploding in the sky. That's a direct quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by Lantis
    The other's repeating, she doesn't really care either.

Isn't that all the more reason to want to do well? Or does she want to go for it a third time?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by simu
    Isn't that all the more reason to want to do well? Or does she want to go for it a third time?

I think it's a bit futile trying to apply logic to these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Did **** the first time, didn't care, parents made her repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm putting in answers everywhere I can, A lot of the time you can just ply a little common sense.

AFAIK for a lot of the papers you can come very close to passing through attempt marks.

Originally posted by Kold
    I'm putting in answers everywhere I can, A lot of the time you can just ply a little common sense.

AFAIK for a lot of the papers you can come very close to passing through attempt marks.

I thought that was obvious. People don't realise that if they actually just kept writing through the whole thing, even if 80% of it is crap, they'll more than likely pass. It just seemed so fúcked up the way people were moving up to higher level in things like maths, because it "looks better to fail higher level than to fail ordinary level". It's just unbelievably stupid. Especially when those people just leave the exams after 30 mins. Why bother even showing up? They're just going to get an "NG" anyway (which they would've gotten even if they didn't show up...), which definetly doesn't look any better than an "E" or maybe even a "D" at ordinary level.

Some people are just stupid. If you haven't learnt that yet then your leaving cert is the least of your worries.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kold
    Some people are just stupid. If you haven't learnt that yet then your leaving cert is the least of your worries.

Yeah, but there's stupid, and then there's just unbelievably retardedly fúcked up waster stupid. These people would be the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

Yeah, but there's stupid, and then there's just unbelievably retardedly fúcked up waster stupid. These people would be the latter.

Overreact much?

Originally posted by Envy
    Overreact much?

Well it does get a bit annoying when they leave the exams, make as much noise as possible, and then go outside to the car park and start doing hand brake turns and backfiring their cars. Always at least 30 mins before anybody gets rid of them. If they want to feck up their own education, fine. But don't **** with everybody else's.

Well it does get a bit annoying when they leave the exams, make as much noise as possible, and then go outside to the car park and start doing hand brake turns and backfiring their cars. Always at least 30 mins before anybody gets rid of them. If they want to feck up their own education, fine. But don't **** with everybody else's.

Yeah; I agree. I've known people like that, and they are irritating.

I just think that "There's stupid, and then there's just unbelievably retardedly fúcked up waster stupid" is a little harsh -- as are a few of the other comments here.

Just because someone doesn't give a damn about exams, it doesn't automatically make them dumb.

Originally posted by Envy
    Just because someone doesn't give a damn about exams, it doesn't automatically make them dumb.

If they don't give a damn, fine. But why even bother turning up for 30 mins, disrupting everybody else? I'm not talking about the people who don't give a damn about exams and go in without having done study - I'm just talking about the ones who go in, don't write anything down - apart from their exam number and subject - and then just leave. Either way, they'll be getting an NG.
    There's stupid, and then there's just unbelievably retardedly fúcked up waster stupid
    That might have been a little harsh, but it's more effective than saying:
    There's stupid and then there's more stupid

If they don't give a damn, fine. But why even bother turning up for 30 mins, disrupting everybody else? I'm not talking about the people who don't give a damn about exams and go in without having done study - I'm just talking about the ones who go in, don't write anything down - apart from their exam number and subject - and then just leave. Either way, they'll be getting an NG.

Depends what subject. If you don't go in for a subject, I thought it just didn't show up on your results sheet? (Apart from English, Irish, and Maths, obviously.)

I'm fairly sure it goes down as an NG, or maybe they just say something like "uncomplete" or something along those lines. I would think that they put it down on your results no matter what you get.

But even if they don'tput down the subject on your results sheet, wouldn't that be better than having an NG down?

I'm fairly sure it goes down as an NG, or maybe they just say something like "uncomplete" or something along those lines. I would think that they put it down on your results no matter what you get.

Some of my friends last year didn't go in for an exam. I think it didn't show up on their results. I'm not sure, I'll have to ask them.
    But even if they don'tput down the subject on your results sheet, wouldn't that be better than having an NG down?

Yeah, of course it would. But the people you're talking about probably think it's better to have a Leaving Cert. with NGs and E's than to have none at all. Better for employment purposes, etc.

Hmm, I think if you had the option of no certificate or one full of NGs, well you'd be doing your best to avoid the topic during your job interview.

Hmm, I think if you had the option of no certificate or one full of NGs, well you'd be doing your best to avoid the topic during your job interview.

Well both options are as bad as each other. You can either have:
    Why did you only do 2 subjects for your leaving certificate?
    or
    I don't think you're suitable for the position
    (after seeing 7 "NG"s on the CV.)

• Advertisement

That's my point :)

That's my point :)

Yeah, I know, I'm just addicted to those
    thingies. And when else would I ever get to use three at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by subway_ie

I definitely agree with you on this one...

These are the people that are going to be sitting on the dole the rest of their lives because they couldn't give a sh1t in school...

I'm not saying everyone who doesn't do well in school falls into this category, but the majority do... I know people in school who hated school but had a talent in other non-academic areas and are a real success now, but there is the 'other side of the coin'... the wasters....

I did my leaving in 1998 and there was these 'cool' people who thought it was really cool to miss exams and leave after 30 mins, so they could look 'cool'...

They are the eejits who are still unemployed or working a crappy job in a petrol station or take away and they'll be doing this the rest of their life if they dont get up of their arse and do something about it...

There are people from my LC class of 6 years ago who are still in this category and good enough for them, but its the rest of society that has to pick up the bill for them for the rest of their lives....

At the end of the day it doesn't matter a sh1t what you think other people think of you.. its your leaving cert, your future that you are playing with here.... I couldn't give a sh1t if someone thought I wasn't cool for staying until the end of an exam....

In all reality you are never going to see half of the people in your class ever again... from time to time you see the people that you want to see.. your friends which you have forever, but in all reality its only a few that you do see... I still have quite a few friends from school and I will always be friends with these people, but at the end of the day, could you really care if you didnt see 'cool jimmy' ever again?

Lifes too short to worry about these wasters... Let them sit in the same town or village for the rest of their lives and moan and groan about life... they have nobody but themselves to blame... carpe diem...

Originally posted by subway_ie

I dunno but for the jr cert art exam, my project was destroyed by an unknown person. On the certificate it said 'absent' but on my results i got an
    F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

I didn't do the JC Art exam, didn't show up on the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

my genius principal lost my JC CSPE project, so now it says CSPE: 'D', and i look like some kind of retard.

Originally posted by banquo
    my genius principal lost my JC CSPE project, so now it says CSPE: 'D', and i look like some kind of retard.

****. I got a "D" too. But they never said anything about losing any project. AND they wouldn't let me apply for a viewing/recheck - they said you can't do it at junior cert, but I know at least 3 people who did it. My junior cert was mostly A's, a few B's and a big fat D on the subject where EVERYBODY gets at least a B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

cspe was just crap --whats it called now??-- somme weird name--its basically like religion class so i really thought it was pointless....kinda like lcvp...trying to cram a bit of transition year in 5th year-- total waste.....

Well at least we didn't have to do religion as an exam subject like the current 3rd years. CSPE was bad, but that would probably be alot worse. Although LCVP isn't that bad - I like the project work, not all relying on a single exam (which was just like foundation business). I still shudder when I think of the "seven concepts".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

bloody hell imagine the are actually contemplating religion for a lc exam.......i used to hate religion clas i had a catholic zealot for a teacher....****very scary****

Advertisement