Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citywest Carrigmore BB

• 17-06-2004 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

This seems absolutly ridiculous to me, but I just got a new phone line connected so I can get BB, and eircom say it failed the test? I've seen other posts in here saying that Carrigmore has BB, so what's the deal? Do I have to do anything special?
    I'm new here from Australia, and I thought the telco infrastructure there was bad.
    Is there anything I can do so Eircom enable bb on my line, or did I just get shafted?
    DSL is available in the new Carrigmore development out in Citywest.

Peace
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

1: Ring them again and again until you don't end up talking to a biddy :)
    2: Politely inform them of your dissatisfaction, and that you would like a proper test to be carried out on your line, not just a lookup on a database.
    3: Ring them again
    4: And again....
    until they do it.

Or, you can go for IOL and have them carry out the test for you.
    :) Good luck - welcome to Ireland, and you've already had the 'pleasure' of dealing with Eircom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

For €25 a month you might imagine that you would get a phone line capable of delivering ADSL, but hey.

If the line is brand spanking new, maybe Eircom hasn't run the monthly test yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 refused

For €25 a month you might imagine that you would get a phone line capable of delivering ADSL, but hey. If the line is brand spanking new, maybe Eircom hasn't run the monthly test yet?
    Plus the €150 something for the connection.

I'm hoping that your second point is true, otherwise I'll be upset. I would have given them a call to find out today, but my throat is so sore I can barely make audible noises - so I'll save the call centre drones the frustration and ring tomorrow. Arn't I nice - now gimmie bb!!
    I guess if this fails I can always try for wireless, I hear there's a bit of that stuff floating around these parts. I get the feeling eircom won't be in any hurry to refund my connection fee's if the line isn't dsl capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

If it's a really new line (just built/finished house) maybe the 4/6 weekly line check hasn't been done yet and it's down as fail. I'm in Carrigmore and I've got BB. Try the online checks on IOL's and UTV's websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

X-posted with Da Man there on the 'not checked yet' point.

There is wireless broadband available but there's a fairly heft outlay if you go with Ensign.net (Steve Reader). IBB do have a service which reaches Carrigmore but it might depend on where you're located as those duplex houses might interfere.

Give the DSL another go in a month's time and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    Try the online checks on IOL's and UTV's websites.

http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/avail.asp
    http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/cli_check

Are these the checks you mean? (They both fail).
    I'll try ringing Eircom and see what they have to say about that matter.

Well I just rang Eircom and they did another test that seemed to pass fine. So I guess they just havn't updated the database the website is checking yet. Now I am a happy camper.
    Thanks for everyones help, suggestions etc. Now I just have to choose a good server.

Peace

Advertisement