Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any trees I can plant in large pots?

• 17-06-2004 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a large bright Patio area at the rear of my house. There was a large wild hedge behind the rear wall of my house which is now being cleared and I would like to keep some greenery and privacy. Are there any trees I can plant in large pots as I don’t want to take up a very expensive deck. A friend suggested eucalyptus?

Any suggestions would help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,479 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can in theory plant any tree in a pot and keep it trimmed like a bonzai. But yes, eucalyptus is a nice tree. Just keep the koalas away. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dulux

So anybody know where I can get them (eucalyptus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Not sure about eucalyptus specifically, but any good garden centre should have them or at least be able to point you in the right direction. There is a bonsai section in the Newlands garden centre, assuming you are in Dublin that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fielle

a japanese maple is a gorgeous tree to have in a pot, use ericaceous compost, it doesn't grow too big and has beautiful bronze divided leaves, think its latin name is acer palmatum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

try growing 'traditional' trees (eg Ash, Oak, Chestnut, Sycamore, etc) Pick up seeds next time you are on a walk, and plant about now. Otherwise, try any garden centre and get a few 2 / 3 / 4 year old trees and plant away! Use a big pot, but beware! It will be heavy when planted with soil, tree and water! Perhaps put pot in (or close to) final position before putting tree in! Trim / prune branches as necessary to prevent it getting to scraggley....
    Trees, like most plants, grow from the top, so if you prune / pinch off new growth from top it will bush out and take trad tree shape.

It really would be cool to have a 5foot chestnut tree on your deck!

post any pics and let the world know how you get on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Clonee garden centre has them, and loads others
    I 2nd the Japanese Maple, we got one and its lovely.
    You can also get a small evergreen, they are nice if looked after well.
    Would you consider a few climbers on a fence/trellis, they can add some lovely colour...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I planted a Japanese Acer in a large pot last year and it's doing very well.
    They will not get big and are very beautiful, do not place in full sun all day, they like a little shade. I love the colour of the maroon one, but they can be bought in green too.

japanese-red-laceleaf-maple-acer-453170221.jpg

you can also get dwarf azalea's which have beautiful flowers, they are more of a bush, but still great for pots, I bought the dwarf called Geisha and it's also doing very well in full sun. They must be planted in special compost for azeleas

6498.jpg

any good garden centre will have both of those, I got mine in the Orchard Garden Centre in Celbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

Go for some nice sented flowering trees.

We have a range of trees in large pots, they did take two years before they really started to grow.
    Euculaptus works well
    lilac is highly recommended as you get beautiful scented flowers

Some self pollinating apple trees, look lovely and smell great - also you'll get some apples after a few years.

Lilac is defintaly the 'tree in a pot' success story of our garden...

M.

Milkman wrote:
    Lilac is defintaly the 'tree in a pot' success story of our garden...

I never thought to get a lilac for a pot, I thought they were too big.
    Did you get a dwarf version milkman? what's it called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

dulux wrote:
    So anybody know where I can get them (eucalyptus)

I got mine at Garden Works in the Clonee area, i can't remember how much they were though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Fo goodness sake don't plant a Eucalyptus in a pot.

Those things grow 6' a year. There's no way you can control them or keep them watered -- i.e. very high maintenance even in a pot.
    (I have one a few gardens from me - it's 120' high and a disaster waiting to happen in the next storm)

Someone else suggested a Japanese Maple -- this is a slow grower and a much better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Arcadian wrote:
    I got mine at Garden Works in the Clonee area, i can't remember how much they were though.

Excellent centre that, I only discovered it recently. I'm growing a dwarf plumtree in a pot - easily doine, but no use for privacy purposes.

Waht about putting up trellises and using climbers to fill them out, the climbers will create more privacy quicker than trees

A pot will just restrict the growth, so it doesnt really matter if they are giant or dwarf trees, they will only grow to a certain size if the roots are confined in a pot. Only thing to remember is that they (all potted trees) have to be
    watered and fed (esp if you want flowers). It wont matter if it is a tiny shrub or a towering euclaptus, the pot will confine its height.

Beruthiel,

not sure what type off the top of my head, I think it is standard, not dwarf.
    White flowers that are just gorgeous, and started flowering in the last two weeks,
    I'll check when I get home, If I forget to get back to you tmorrow then just PM me - have brain like a sieve.

M.

then your sig is very apt :D

Beruthiel wrote:
    then your sig is very apt :D

yes, yes it is!

got herself to check the lilac tree, linky below

Syringa vulgaris
    http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=324

happy planting!

M.