Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help please!

• 17-06-2004 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Having given up on broadband ever getting into my house I am looking for a wireless method to get it from my dads house which can recieve BB.His house is about 200m away partially obscured by trees.
    What would be the best way to do this,wireless,radio,cable?
    I am a bit of a noob as regards wans,lans so any help with method or equipment would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Well, if you could string a cable, that would save you a lot of hassle, particularly problems caused by trees. Unfortunately, the only way to do this is with a hub in the middle, because the max length for CAT5 ethernet cables is 100m.

So wireless then. Is there any direct line of sight (LOS) between the houses, say at roof or chimney level? If not, could you achieve a LOS by erecting aerial masts on one or both houses? If you can get over that hurdle, the rest is possible, and really depends on how much money and time you're prepared to invest.

Have a look at the IrishWAN site for info on rolling your own wireless net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Revoque

I have a los from front door to front door,nothing higher than that (200yo trees).
    What in the line of hardware would i need,routers etc, Which ones work best at that distance eg (Buffalo Wireless Broadband Router WBR-G54).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

If it's just 200m and you have LoS then pretty much any half-decent access point and wireless card combo should work, eg. Buffalo, 3com... maybe SMC, Linksys...

Advertisement