Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship Referendum - Doesn't go far enough

Options
  • 17-06-2004 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I voted No. But seen as it has passed with a 4:1 majority I'm not going to sit and moan about it. In my opinion we should have another one to clear up a very large loop hole.

How to get Irish Citizenship for US citizens?
    The benefits of Visa free access to the EU
    Google irish Citizenship. More US sites appear than Nigerian.

I have relatives in the US. They are all entitled to Irish citizenship and the only reason why is that my grand-mothers sister emigrated over there and met someone, had a family, blah blah. She has grand kids who are about my age.
    What bothers me most is that they could come over here and start claiming social welfare within days.

If I lived in the US and wanted health treatment for example. An Irish waiting list is far far better to a US pay or feck off system...

I wonder? how can we close this loophole? Should we close it?? If we don't close it ar we racist hypocrites??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

We don't need a referendum to change that entitlement, read the Constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by Meh
    We don't need a referendum to change that entitlement, read the Constitution.

Have done and as I see it we are entitled to citizenship if our parents are. So if my parent is entitlted to it. So am I. And so on and so on. As long as you have an Ancester who is Irish you can get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    Have done and as I see it we are entitled to citizenship if our parents are. So if my parent is entitlted to it. So am I. And so on and so on. As long as you have an Ancester who is Irish you can get it
    No, you're constitutionally entitled to citizenship if 1) one of your parents is (entitled to be) a citizen and 2) you are born on the island of Ireland.

The Dáil can pass laws granting citizenship under other rules if it wants, but as of last Friday, that is the only constitutional right to citizenship. There has never been a rule that you are entitled to Irish citizenship if any of your ancestors was Irish. The rule for descendants of Irish emigrants is that one of their grandparents must have been born in Ireland (it's not enough for them just to be an Irish citizen).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Many people think the Grandparent rule is just some cutesy-pie thing there for yanks who want to come home and settle in the ol' sod, bergorah.

In reality there's frequent abuse of the Grandparent rule by US and Canadian corporate high-flyers who obtain an Irish passport because it allows them to work in the City of London.

Then again, get rid of the Grandparent rule and imagine the kind of World Cup Football team we'd have!

Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Do you qualify for a Free Passport?

No need to pay US$25,000 or more for a 2nd citizenship or passport. You may already qualify for one or more free passports!

Yes that's right, a free passport. If you or your spouse's parents or grandparent's are of Irish or Jewish ancestry you probably already qualify!

http://www.ptshamrock.com/auto/passport.html
    So, the President of the United States (back then) was recommending that if U.S. citizens were going to travel aboard and were ever unfortunately hyjacked that they should provide to the hyjacker's demands their "FBR-designated country passport" (any countries providing this), but to NOT surrender or expose themselves as U.S. citizens by their U.S. passport.

I was one of many U.S. citizens (sheep) who sought out the recommended Presidential protection suggestion for FBR passport arrangements, and sought out the lineage of my parents and grandparents (using the Consulate's research team for a small fee) to locate the necessary documents to show and then 'qualify' with parental or grandparent lineage to a foreign country for the express purpose of FBR entitlement and to obtain the EEC/EU passport for that new country of mine. In my case, EEC/EU Irish lineage was through my grandparents on my father's side so, in 1986 I got my Irish citizenship papers and Irish passport to travel under.

http://www.totse.com/en/law/justice_for_all/newcitizenship171441.html

I guess these are far better reasons for granting citizenship than actually being born here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement