Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Switzerland

• 17-06-2004 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

So what does everybody reckon?

It should easily be a white wash for the English but the pressure for the English is that they have to win. That'll mean that they will have to start off straight away with all out attacking play and if they do get a goal early they'll have to push for more to be sure of the win. I reckon they should do it but it is the proverbial banana skin.

B.

***edited to correct my atrocious grammar*** It's just not on!! :rolleyes: :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    It should easily be a white wash for the English

The same way that Czech Republic against Latvia was supposed to be?

At the moment England will not whitewash anyone in that tournament, Bulgaria included.

I think England are certainly capable of beating Switzerland, but if Sven persists on playing Heskey in any part of any game, it will be to the teams detriment.

edit:/

And don't forget, Switzerlands centre half Henchoz will know exactly how handle Owen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I think England will completely outplay the Swiss and have about 10 good chances. Game will stay level for about 70min before Paul Scholes nips one in....

England will ease of a bit and finish 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I "should" of emphasied the word "should" in my first post! sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

England should beat the Swiss, probably 2 - 0. If they could string together a decent sequence of passes in midfield (players kicking straight 10/20 yard balls along the ground and others making an effort to give them options) when they're under pressure they they'd actually have a decent chance in the tournament, but they can't so they don't. The last time the fielded a team who could pass the ball reasonably well was Hoddle's France 98 team.

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    I think England will completely outplay the Swiss and have about 10 good chances.

Optimistic...
    Originally posted by The Brigadier
    Paul Scholes nips one in....

Very optimistic!!

Paul Scholes to score?...are you havin a laff!

• Advertisement

That is what my gut is telling me....Or It could just be the curry I had for lunch...

Paul Scholes to score?...are you havin a laff!
    Hypnotise him then tell him that he's playing a club match. That should at least quadrouple the chance of him scoring for England but it does nothing about him being out of position and not recieving any decent passes within scoring range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

what time is this match at? the early or the late match?

17.00 followed by Croatia - France at 19.45

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by seansouth
    And don't forget, Switzerlands centre half Henchoz will know exactly how handle Owen.
    Henchoz isn't a first choice at centre half for the Swizz, he could well play today though.

I have England in the pools but i think Switzerland can cause an uspet. Hakan Yakin to score a brace.:)

Paddy Power are giving VERY high odds for Switzerland to win 7-1. England 4-9 and the draw 11-4 if anybody is interested?

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Paddy Power are giving VERY high odds for Switzerland to win 7-1.

I think you need re-phrase that :D

:D LOL well spotted seansouth!!

Of course that should read "Paddy Power are giving ASTRONOMICAL odds for Switzerland to win 7-1" 1,000,000-1. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

England to win 2-0 (and Owen the 1st scorer) @ 18-1 with Paddy Powers.

Thats my prediction anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

England should win, the only worry is if they get an early goal and try to use that as a defensive cushion. This tournament has shown that such a move never works.

England team for today

James

Neville G
    Terry
    Campbell
    Cole A

Beckham
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Scholes

Rooney
    Owen

Pretty much as expected really, apart from Scholes who was an injury worry, will he last the full 90mins?

Also the return of Terry to the defence.

I also wonder if they'll play the Diamond formation in midfield?

England team for today

James

Neville G
    Terry
    Campbell
    Cole A

Beckham
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Scholes

Rooney
    Owen

Pretty much as expected really, apart from Scholes who was an injury worry, will he last the full 90mins?

Why does he insist on playing Scholes? He's been terrible recently. Stick in Kieron Dyer or Joe Cole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

England should win, based on the players they have, manager etc. etc. but will they win is 50/50 imo.

i can see a draw (or even a loss?) coming out of this match and the English papers about it the next day.

hope this doesn't happen though, England deserve to go through their group.

Also, No Henchoz for the Swiss...here is their Starting XI

Switzerland (4-3-1-2): 1-Joerg Stiel; 2-Bernt Haas, 20-Patrick Mueller, 5-Murat Yakin, 17-Christoph Spycher; 8-Raphael Wicky, 16-Fabio Celestini, 18-Benjamin Huggel; 10-Hakan Yakin; 11-Stephane Chapuisat, 9-Alexander Frei.

• Advertisement

Also, No Henchoz for the Swiss...here is their Starting XI

Switzerland (4-3-1-2): 1-Joerg Stiel; 2-Bernt Haas, 20-Patrick Mueller, 5-Murat Yakin, 17-Christoph Spycher; 8-Raphael Wicky, 16-Fabio Celestini, 18-Benjamin Huggel; 10-Hakan Yakin; 11-Stephane Chapuisat, 9-Alexander Frei.

wo! that is a very good Switzerland starting XI! Switzerland to me are like Greece in this tournament - very much underestimated and i can see this match been a very exciting one with that starting XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

England team for today

James

Neville G
    Terry
    Campbell
    Cole A

Beckham
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Scholes

Rooney
    Owen

THat isnt actually the England team . Sven said he will use his Diamond formation . Scholes attacking centre ,Gerrard left, Lampard defensive centre , the rest is right

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

gerrard on the left again thats a joke why does he do it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by mayordenis
    gerrard on the left again thats a joke why does he do it??

maybe he wants quick money ;) . If he leaves his job he gets no money , but if they sack him , well u know .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

im 100% sure your rcorrect

Originally posted by Big Ears
    maybe he wants quick money ;) . If he leaves his job he gets no money , but if they sack him , well u know .

Like Claudio!!

Originally posted by Big Ears
    THat isnt actually the England team . Sven said he will use his Diamond formation . Scholes attacking centre ,Gerrard left, Lampard defensive centre , the rest is right

Are you sure? Two attacking midfielders aren't really suited to a diamond formation.

If it's true though, Lampard playing in a defensive role!? No, no, no you gormless prat Sven! England played fantastically against the world no. 2 side and now Sven is tinkering with things at this critical juncture! If he plays with the diamond with one of Englands best players (Gerrard), wasted on the left hand side with only Lampard as defence to the back four it could very well end badly for England. Sheesh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

A lot to play for in this match. The Greeks are very likely to win their group, which means that finishing runners up in this group means you will play Greece in the quarters.

Could be an incentive.

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    A lot to play for in this match. The Greeks are very likely to win their group, which means that finishing runners up in this group means you will play Greece in the quarters.

Could be an incentive.

Greece will go through their group guranteed with either a win or a draw, they can still go through on a loss to Russia, providing Spain wins, or Portugal wins (and if Portugal beats Spain, that Greece have a better goal difference to Spain). i don't think Greece will work as hard as they did against Portugal and Spain because of being tired after 2 tough matches and because they have great chances of qualifying as it stands, so topping the group isn't the biggest priority. i think Russia will also want at least a draw being out of the competition, playing for your country involves a lot of pride and nobody wants to lose 3 times i don't think.

• Advertisement

Apparently the Swiss are doing quite well so far, is anyone watching this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pants so far....

Mike.

Rooney booked...odds on a red-card?

I've thrown my pants in the air! :)

Mike.

Well done Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I'm at work watching a window that is updated every minute.... I'd rather be watching it on TV, but sometimes you just have to make the best with what you have :)

It looks to me like England's in trouble right now ... seems like Switzerland had many more chances.. and have a nice pressure on England...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

heh, 2 seconds after my post, England scored.

Originally posted by muffen

It looks to me like England's in trouble right now

I'm the same, but you might want to change that window of yours...England just scored

try

www.livescore.com

this is good too

http://www.football.guardian.co.uk/euro2004/minutebyminute/story/0,14582,1241066,00.html

Switzerland are the better team but good goal by Rooney.

can you describe the goal to us in office land...

From here

http://www.football.guardian.co.uk/euro2004/minutebyminute/story/0,14582,1241066,00.html
    23 min: GOAL!!!! England 1 - 0 Switzerland : Just as England were looking totally lethargic, Beckham finds Owen in acres of space. The Swiss defence then give him all the time in the world to find Rooney, who heads home from three yards.

Is David James having a bad time of it?

• Advertisement

England lead but are playing crap, Sven must be the least inspired and inspiring national coach on the planet.

I cant even figure what system they're meant to be playing.

David James is'nt having a happy time and he seems to have little confidence in either himself or the wall when one forms.

Mike.

on the performances of both teams 1-1 would be a fair scoreline but if Owen had've got onto the end of a Cole cross he would have probably wrapped it up for England. I can't believe he didn't even get to the ball, never mind score. I don't think Owen is, or will ever be, the player he once was TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    on the performances of both teams 1-1 would be a fair scoreline but if Owen had've got onto the end of a Cole cross he would have probably wrapped it up for England. I can't believe he didn't even get to the ball, never mind score. I don't think Owen is, or will ever be, the player he once was TBH.

Owen's control in the last few games for England has been very poor and where is his pace?

England ordinary at best and I can see Switzerland getting a goal it's just a question of can England get another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by mike65
    I cant even figure what system they're meant to be playing.

It's the give the ball away to the opposition and then run around like headless chickens trying to get it back system, England have mastered it lately.

Bernt Haas sent off.

2-0. Stiel, the Swizz goalkeeper with an own goal, off his head from a shot by Rooney.

3-0 Stevie G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

England have two strategies.
    Defend in mass and lump long balls forward for either
    Owen or Rooney to latch onto and hopefully create something or win a set piece from which they can launch an opportunity.
    The sad thing is that this approach can pay dividends.
    So far this tournament is the worst I can recall since 1990.
    Dreadfully average teams afraid to attack and boring us to death.
    Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

England defenitley the best team in this game. They will get through the group if they keep playing like that

Originally posted by MisterAnarchy
    England have two strategies.
    Defend in mass and lump long balls forward for either
    Owen or Rooney to latch onto and hopefully create something or win a set piece from which they can launch an opportunity.
    The sad thing is that this approach can pay dividends.
    So far this tournament is the worst I can recall since 1990.
    Dreadfully average teams afraid to attack and boring us to death.
    Very disappointing.

Think Germany 2002!

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement