Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Switzerland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think it was a terrible preformance, just not great.

I don't like how Lampard and Gerrrard are being used, they are being played essentially as 5th and 6th defenders.

Scholes is having a lot of trouble playing on the left, unsuprisingly so really.

With the preformance of Owen being terrrible twice maybe its time he was dropped, in favour of a Scholes Rooney link up, with Dyer on the left and Becks on the right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by PHB
    I don't like how Lampard and Gerrrard are being used, they are being played essentially as 5th and 6th defenders...

...With the preformance of Owen being terrrible twice maybe its time he was dropped, in favour of a Scholes Rooney link up, with Dyer on the left and Becks on the right!

The two matters above are directly linked. Until Sven plays Gerrard in his rightful position (and makes him captain too hopefully!) Owen will labour, his confidence is low, that "shot" on goal shortly before he was subbed said it all.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I was threatened in a Dublin pub today. I was in a pub , watching the game. (And with an office crowd, I wasn't in the Blue Lion or similar)

When England scored the thrid goal I cheered. I was told to "shut the **** up and sit down or I'll kick the **** out of you ya English prick"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    I was threatened in a Dublin pub today. I was in a pub , watching the game. (And with an office crowd, I wasn't in the Blue Lion or similar)

When England scored the thrid goal I cheered. I was told to "shut the **** up and sit down or I'll kick the **** out of you ya English prick"
    Which pub was it?

Mactorcails on Townsend St.

Lovely pub, I go in for lunch sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

`Some Irish people in Ireland. They see someone wearing and English jersey and they shout abuse at them.Pity they realise that most of the clubs the support are English

I wasn't wearing an england shirt.

I had just left the office in my Shirt and Tie

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

I was just taking that as example. They would shout at you ,if you did in anyway show support for England

Yeah,

I wasn't surprised by that or the fact the half the pub cheered any good play from the Swiss. I don't mind people cheering the underdog, but this cheering had venom....Far too enthusiastic...

I really think these sort of people (and there are a few on boards.....you know who you are) are sad and pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mactorcails on Townsend St.

Lovely pub, I go in for lunch sometimes...
    Thats what to be expected on Townsend Street mate. The Pearse Street area is one of the worst for crime, violence, etc in south Dublin. I live in Holles Street so see it first hand.

BTW, Brigadier, have a read of my last post on this forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167055&goto=lastpost

I'm sure you'd hear the same about the Irish in some bad parts of England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Thats a discrace.. The bar owner should have kicked him out straight away. Pathetic..

I wanted to see england stay in the competition and was content to see them winning.

However I wasnt exactly impressed by the english performance today. They got the goals but the swiss were defending badly and the players on the english squad didnt jump out as players with talent except for rooney and dare i say it beckham. I can see england getting to the quarter finals but im not sure about after that.

Mactorcails is beside the Georges Quay financial disctrict and is filled with bankers and finance people. I couldn't see any "locals" in the pub.

And as for your post in the other thread, well I have never seen any of that, I don't feel it is representative of English attitudes to Ireland.

I have lived in Ireland on and off since 1988 and have never been in apub showing an England game where this wasn't apparant....

In contrast during the USA World Cup in 1994 when Ireland qualified and England didn't.....well you would have been hard pressed to find a pub that was showing the football that wasn't bedecked in Tri-colours and posters proclaiming "Come on Ireland"....

Can you imagine even one pub in Ireland having George Crosses up for the football??

Can you imagine even one pub in Ireland having George Crosses up for the football??
    Well, there was an English flag outside a pub in my area and it was ripped down by youths within minutes so that should answer your question.:)
    and there are a few on boards.....you know who you are
    The vast majority of the Irish population support England's opposition whenever they play as you'll see if you go into any pub. A fair few people on boards would support England so this place doesn't even reflect the view of the general public. I always cheer on England's opposition but as I said before I can't just click my fingers and change that. I'm sure you have a team that you like to see lose. Are the English pathetic for cheering on Argentina's opposition... the Scots for cheering on England's opposition... pretty much everyone for cheering on ManU's opposition ...every other county for wanting Dublin to fail...

Some people give reason's for wanting England to lose but in most cases its just one of those things that grow on you from watching/listening to the people around you. I don't know when it started but I'm sure if you took a guess it would probably be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

thejollyrodger I'm suprised you ventured into a pub to watch. I never have and never will.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by thejollyrodger

However I wasnt exactly impressed by the english performance today. They got the goals but the swiss were defending badly and the players on the english squad didnt jump out as players with talent except for rooney and dare i say it . beckham I can see england getting to the quarter finals but im not sure about after that.

Rooney was good today however Beckham was not , besides giving the pass to Neville that set up Gerrard and the one to Owen he did very little .

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Rooney was good today however Beckham was not , besides giving the pass to Neville that set up Gerrard and the one to Owen he did very little .
    Thats what he's there for though so he, more or less, did his job.

Fair play to all those england people supporting Ireland back in 1994....I never went to the pub to cheer on england, i watched it at home. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

England were poor at times. For parts of the match Swiss boss the game and should of scored. England gave away alot of free kicks and against better teams they will be punished. Rooney had another great game and took his goals well. I dont know what has happened to Michael Owen but he looks really low on confindence and i would drop him for the next match. I thought the midfeild were all over the place at times, Scholes didnt have the best of games again and Gerrard and Lampard didnt look confertable at times. 3-0 was abit hard one the Swiss but i was delight when Gerrard scored the third........cause i had England to win 3-0.:D :D
    I dont fancy England to make it threw to the next round. I watched the Croatia match and they were very good and England vs. Croatia will be a great game with the winner in the quater finals.

Originally posted by Dewey
    cause i had England to win 3-0.:D :D
    Seriously? You seem to be getting a lot of correct score bets in so I'm starting to find it hard to believe otherwise you'd be a very rich man.;)

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Seriously? You seem to be getting a lot of correct score bets in so I'm starting to find it hard to believe otherwise you'd be a very rich man.;)

As true as god. your not going to belive this but i had Rooney to score first at 6/1.
    i'm on a good run at the moment but its not going to last for ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Beckham also set up the first goal, with an inch perfect pass to Owen, which he passed into Rooney.

He also gave Rooney a perfect pass onto his foot, which Rooney controlled, but failed to finish.

He is englands main source or goals so far :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I was cursing Gerrard's goal cos I had €40 coming my way if it stayed 2-0...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'd consider myself quite nationalistic but I've never understood the reaction of some people towards the English here. Some people seem to think a requisite of being Irish is to hate the English. One of Englands greatest players, Rooney, is half Irish, I'm sure there are countless other players who have Irish roots too. Likewise, Irelands team has been greatly enhanced by English born players. It's time that we forget about the past and band together to combat the real threat in the soccer/ world peace/funny smells/etc, the French! :p

Brigadier, you should have cut the fúckers teeth out.

Back to the match and betting, I've got Rooney at 33-1 to nab top scorer for the tournament. After the first match I nearly ripped the bet up! The two goals he scored though puts him on joint top scorer with a few others. Nearly had a heart attack when I though Zidane got a second today :D I knew Owen was crocked so I thought the only real source of goals should be Rooney, suprised the bookies let that slip. . .

Originally posted by Raskolnikov

Brigadier, you should have cut the fúckers teeth out.

Not all of us are hooligans...I would rather distance myself from this sort of thuggery.... As an aside I noticed today the Irish Mirror was running an article on English Hooligans in Portugal threatening to set fire to the Irish over there. Talk about sensationalist crap... I have been treatened with being bombed god knows how many times over here by 'RA heads....That never made the paper....

I did also earlier on this very forum tip Rooney for the Golden Boot at 33-1.....I was laughed at...well who is laughing now...Super Wayne...(I didn't get a chance to put money down though)

Going to have a punt today on a treble, Rooney for Golden Boot, Player of the Tournament and England to win...

Irish people not supporting England for the simply reason that its England playing is sad. Everyone here follows the priemership and the english team isnt arrogant like the likes of France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I would be surprised if Rooney gets credited with the 2nd goal or if Zidane gets credited with his. Neither were going in but for the intervention of the last touch from a defender.

999 times out of a thousand rebounds off the keeper are not counted as own goals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Generally when it hts the post and the back of the keeper it is an own goal. If he wasn't there it wouldn't have been a goal. As far as I know that the criteria they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

UEFA have said today that he may lose the second goal, they are meeting about it later

Shame if they take it off him though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    One of Englands greatest players, Rooney, is half Irish

:confused: more like one eighth irish, his only irish relative is something like four generations back or something?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kida
    Generally when it hts the post and the back of the keeper it is an own goal. If he wasn't there it wouldn't have been a goal. As far as I know that the criteria they use.
    If the keeper wasn't there it would have been a goal from what i seen. Steil saved the shot it then hit the post and rebounded off his head.
    Originally posted by kida
    As an aside I noticed today the Irish Mirror was running an article on English Hooligans in Portugal threatening to set fire to the Irish over there. Talk about sensationalist crap... I have been treatened with being bombed god knows how many times over here by 'RA heads....That never made the paper....
    C'mon Brigadier, I've seen hundreds of stories about English people being abused over here but it does actually happen to the Irish in England too. You may not notice but you are being biased if you feel the Irish don't have a right to know what a minority of English people are doing over in Portugal.

Irish bars warned of racist threats

I am not even over in Portugal and I have heard "No surrender to the IRA" being chanted on Sky Sports news and at the France match on Sunday. Ken Earley from Newstalk 106 was abused as he tried to chat to a few English people.

Some Irish fans are just as bad but the Mirror still have a right to print what they did.

BTW, I was suprised to hear a poll on Newstalk last night, 66% of the listeners (nearly all Dubs) wanted England to win last night. If you feel were anti-English in Dublin, I wouldn't advise you to go to Cork any time soon.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

UEFA today credited Rooney with the second goal.
    Also Paul Scholes parents or grandparents are irish but i dont think the FAI tried to get him to switch over.

Advertisement