Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ripwave

• 17-06-2004 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

i got a letter from ibb this morning. they apologised for the delay in connecting me up to ibb as they are tring to improve their service for customers. they said that they are getting rid of the Breeze Home product and replacing it with Ripwave on the 3.5ghz spectrum. they said they would connect me at the end of july. some areas will be upgraded sooner or later than others will be. they also offered me 1 free month if i still choose to connect with them. i think they were only offering this because of the delay though.

BTW i live in clondalkin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I have ripwave in tree rock and was told by the engineer when he was replacing a broken ripwave unit that they would be upgrading to 3.5 soon.

What does this mean for a user. What benifit will I get from this. Because as it stands I am not overly happy with ripwave. Like speed it by no means super. Streaming video is very patchy and slow.

Will this upgrade have any effect on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

hopefully it will resolve any interferience issues and pings should go down. i would rather sign up with ntl as people rarely experience any probs with them but they are not available in my area. my area is able to receive digital tv so they will probably upgrade our area soon. also speeds are much higher for ntl for similar price. how long is the contract with ibb and is it possible to get out of it after say 4 months if things are not working out or ntl become available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

I would imagine that the signal strength can be higher on the licensed bands, but does anyone know for sure?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The 2.4ghz ripwaves suffer alot of interference as they run at 2.4ghz and so does bluetooth,other wireless companies and a load of other stuff,which in turn causes alot of interference.
    The 3.5ghz spectrum is licenced and no one else can operate at that frequency thus eliminating all that interference so it should make a huge difference.
    I think that they will have multiple highsites for it too so customers on the edge of a signal wil prob be able to change to a different site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

also they can bump up signal strength considarably, which means there's going to be a longer range, and also less interference due to stronger signal

supposedly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

less interference

What exactly does this mean? What is affected by interference?

interference means packetloss, which in turn means increased latency (as packets ahve to be resent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    interference means packetloss, which in turn means increased latency (as packets ahve to be resent)
    The Latency on Ripwave is far and above anything that would be explained by packetloss. It's probably got a lot more to do with the signal processing necessary to "clean up" the reflections in the NLOS signal.

Unless someone posts a 3.5GHz traceroute showing dramatically different timings, I wouldn't expect the upgraded Ripwave to be significantly better than the existing stuff as far as latency goes (read - forget about gaming or VoIP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I called IBB today to ask about the Ripwave upgrade, and they said that 3 Rock should be upgraded "at the end of the month".

We'll see. The lack of an exact date only 2 weeks beforehand doesn't instil confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

I did try ripwave bout 6 months ago ..i'm in stillorgan and should have good connectivity with tree rock but alas nothing !

Did however try another madass system with IBB whereas they stuck a mad ass areil on my house. 2 guys did the install ( I was away ) said they would set me up with 1mgbt account took 1/2 a day and left saying it was all set up. I arrive home 2 days later with great excitement and .................. nothing sweet fa!

Nice tech guys that work there tho.

• Advertisement

just realised 2 "madasses" in the one sentence ... back to junior cert english 4 me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I ordered Ripwave via RTE on friday.

Its due to go live sometime in july apparently.

Anyone know what the deal with the install is?

Do they just mail out the antenna?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Apparently so

if its ripwave, the install consists of plugging the ripwave "modem" into your computer, and thats it. Pretty simple.

"antenna" is being a bit generous as the "antenna" is about 1/2 an inch long on the top of the 6" high unit. I live in Stillorgan as I said above and Bruce ( nice Aussie chappie ) dropped in the unit to my house... it didn't work but bruce kindly left the unit with me to play around with 4 the weekend. Not to be however.

Went on to system described in my post above ( installed by nice South African chappie ) which doesn't need a pure line of sight as ripwave does no dice for Stillorgan. Which leads me to two questions 1) thinking of setting up an amish community in broadband free stillorgan would anybody like to join? 2) why are aall the foreign tech working here so damn nice and happy?

I would be interested to hear from guys who are running ripwave what are the speeds like I believe the contention rates are pretty good at IBB.

I did hear tho that the antenna on the RTE mast isn't too good as it's not high enough on the mast ( the higher up you go the more freakish the rent gets! )

Still can't believe that I can't get three rock signal at my gaffe in stillorgan ( near the orchard )

Went on to system described in my post above ( installed by nice South African chappie ) which doesn't need a pure line of sight as ripwave does no dice for Stillorgan.

Ripwave is non los
    Aerials/masts/radios/antenna are los

I live in Stillorgan and have no problems but I am on 5.8ghz,have a neighbour on 2.4ghz and theirs is fine too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Any one any inside info on when exactly RTE Ripwave is going live?

Advertisement