Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comwreck Outs Comreg , Internet Penetration is Revised Downwards

Options
  • 17-06-2004 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Internet Penetration in Irish Homes is actually 36% and not 50% as Comreg said three months ago. Quarterly Figures here. Page 11 .

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Based on that graph - it looks like that 50% figure might have come from homes with a fixed line which is of course a very big skew. So they're showing the real figure now of only 36% of internet penetration in irish homes?

That's a depressingly low figure. Back in the hey-day of per minute billing I seem to remember this penetration figure being extraordinarily high ... and comreg use to be so proud about this high figure that meant nothing ...

hmm ... I think I am missing something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Heard on the radio that vodaphone have 1.8m customers, so how come eircom can keep their USO when they aren't the biggest phone operator , especially when for low cost usage (that famous scheme) mobiles can be cheaper.

actually anyone have numbers on subscribers to Esat BT etc. & entrylevel costs (low call usage) so we can see how Eircom rate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by Muck
    Quarterly Figures here. Page 11 .

M

Page 11 is worth reading.
    ComReg's Tom Butler has this time refrained from making big headline noises about their manipulated "internet penetration" figures, as they did on the Quarterly Report before.
    But he still insists on publishing the same nonsense: "Residential Internet penetration is estimated at 46%" and "Forty six percent of those surveyed had Internet access." It is a lie – and all the footnotes in the world will not make it right.
    OECD document 22453185.pdf “A proposal for a core list of indicators for ICT measurement, Martin Schaaper, OECD” states unambiguously on page 6 under the heading
    “Households’ and individuals’ readiness and use of ICT Indicators", how Internet figures should be measured:
    • Proportion of households with access to the Internet (% of total)

Another interesting figure from the report: Only 78% of households had a fixed line.

There is a gem on page 17 with fig 3.1.1. and footnote 20 about the stark rise of the blue line (National residential): They try to talk away the impact of the line rental increase. How pathetic is that?
    Ireland's position has worsened four places. According to ComReg nothing to do with our line rental increase, but other countries not behaving and reducing their pricing.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I think that Comwreck should start its own BB Price Indicator series being.

1. Residential analogue rental including VAT
    2. The cheapest 512/128 ADSL package from the incumbent icnluding VAT

For every EU member . That includes the Estonians who are way ahead of us of course . We may just pip the Greeks but I am not that hopeful TBH.

I'll send some PM's to the contributors to the Comparative sticky on top to get the ball rolling :D .....to be published every quarter ....naturally .

M

Advertisement