Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount a NTFS drive in Windows 95

Options
  • 17-06-2004 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Why? ...... I know i know

But anyways can anyone tell me how i can mount a NTFS drive contaning Win2k n stuff (so reformating to Fat32 not an option unless i can keep the data) to Windows 95 so i can read and write to it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

2 options with Win 95 - use something like partition magic to convert the drive to FAT32 or use this driver to read the files (it is read only though).

Your third option is to get hold of a knoppix CD and use the captive NTFS drivers to access the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not really.
    There are 3rd Party Drivers available that will let you do that, but none of them are permanent or stable solutions as far as I can see. You'd be walking on eggshells in terms of data integrity, particularly if you want to keep the drive as as a bootable Win2k drive.

Why, amoi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

There's apps like NTFS for Windows 98 (seems to be loads of products with the same name)

some of which will work under '95 and priced between 30 and 80 quid.

Suggest that you only use it to read data from the NTFS, and not write/modify if possible. Even though it's documented to some degree there tends to be problems with 3rd party implementations.

Write to an intermediate like a USB key or cheap extra HDD if possible, to be copied later using windows 2K.

If it's a legacy business app, have you ruled out running win95 under a virtual machine, mounting a NTFS shared directory over a virtual network?

If it's a game then shrink your NTFS partition to create a suitable sized win32 drive using partition magic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ntfsdos is also fairly good - it is read only - learn to live with.
    ntfsdos et al bypass all M$'s security and permissions , so when writing back to the files it won't be able to handle this lot properly there is also a setting for NTFS last access timestamp (and don't they use a bitmap to ID contigous free space)

Since M$ don't release info on NTFS third party drivers can be very dodgy. I've tried a few and trashed the drive a couple of times.

If Win2k is installed on the NTFS drive I reckon the registry would get mucho upset if you did manage to convert back to FAT32. you could defrag the drive in 2K and remove unneeded files and ask for an app that will resize safely and then setup a fat 32 drive in the new space. (pagedfrg and contig are also useful after you run defrag - also on the sysinternals site. )

BTW: if it is encrypted nothing else will be able to read or write.

Advertisement