Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book for the summer

Options
  • 17-06-2004 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

What would you suggest?

Just one book and why you'd reccomend it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

orson scott card's - Ender Game

Good sci-fi here but readable by anyone, easy to pick up difficult to put down. Gets the message across using simple language which imo is better then using fancy language just for the sake of it. Its of a different style to the other books in the series but can easily be read as a stand alone. Nothing too heavy for a hot summers day and I found it easy to empathise with the main character.

go read it

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Rendezvous with Rama, along with the rest of the series if you're into sci-fi. I just really really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I hope it doesnt take you the whole summer to read a book!

Filth - Irvine Welsh ( wrote trainspotting )

Fantastic book , one of those ones you cant put down. Amazing characters - Its basically about a corrupt detective whos investigating a murder...hes is VERY evil and quite vile at times but hes amazingly charasmatic - hes one of the best characters Ive ever come across in a book.

I wont say any more as its best you read it yourself - 5 stars 10/10 100/100 two thumbs and one willy up

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    orson scott card's - Ender Game

I agree, it's also going at the very reasonable price of €2.99 in Hodges & Figgis on Dawson street at the moment, I think.
    The rest of the series is a little bit strange though.

Originally posted byoeNeo
    Rendezvous with Rama, along with the rest of the series if you're into sci-fi.

Yes to Rendezvous with Rama, no to the rest of the series.
    I've read two of the follow-ups so far and I was more than a little disturbed by Clarke's (or his co-writer Gentry Lee's) justification of a thirteen year old girl consumating a marriage with a 72 year old, already married, man who has always claimed to be a devout catholic.

It just didn't make any sense, and with the parents being "so happy" about it.

Oh and the books never stop waffling on about some dead French queen who has absolutely no relevance to the story.

Originally posted by CuLT

The rest of the series is a little bit strange though.

It is alright, different style more philsophical, its immediately apparent from the second book and i think they are more difficult to read, i liked them though and like the stuff about the OCD and that which comes into it.

if you liked enders game, check out the shadow saga which kinda continues on and looks at things from Bean's perspective and is more in the style of the first book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I like Jenny Colgan's stuff. Try Amanda's Wedding. I found it hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭littlemiss

Depends on what you are into. If fantasy try the Circle of time series by Robert Jordan. The Diceman is well worth a read also, that is probably in the lit section author is Luke Rhineheart. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.
    If you want something funny try Terry Pratchetts Discworld novels. It really depends on the type of book you want to read.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

The Dragons Of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey....class

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Originally posted by CuLT
    Yes to Rendezvous with Rama, no to the rest of the series.
    I've read two of the follow-ups so far and I was more than a little disturbed by Clarke's (or his co-writer Gentry Lee's) justification of a thirteen year old girl consumating a marriage with a 72 year old, already married, man who has always claimed to be a devout catholic.

It just didn't make any sense, and with the parents being "so happy" about it

Yeah thats true, it sort of freaked me out a bit. Even though, I still recommend them!

another one that i think should be read by anyone with even an passing interest in sci-fi is The player of games by Iain Banks

i think this was Banks best sci fi book and i'm not exactly sure why i went ahead and bought it as i didn't think the first one was great but i liked what i read on the back of it.

i won't go into detail about what i liked mainly as i can't remember it fantastically but go read it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just finished Gareth Nix's Abhorsen series, "Sabriel", "Lireal" and "Abhorsen". They're described as teenage fantasy (my 15 year old sister passed them onto me), but they are among the best fanstasy I've read recently. It deals with a family known as the Abhorsen who are charged with returning dead spirits to Death, and preventing them from walking in Life. Excellent, and fairly hair-raising at times for teenage stuff.

I also like Janet Evanovichs "Stephanie Plum" novels. They're in the humourous detective genre (if there is such a thing) and they make me laugh every time. Stephanie Plum is a female bounty hunter in New York (fairly incompetant at that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

The beach is quite fantastic. Really gives you the feel of being on a tropical Island.
    Always wanted to go to Thailand, and it seemed to give quite an accurate description of what it's like to be there.

Advertisement