Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME 4 for 1 deal

Options
  • 17-06-2004 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I know I should know better but I have to say i'm more than a bit peeved...

Right, poster says, 'any 4 games for any game' - fair enough. I ask the woman - yes she says *any* 4 games as long as they're worth 'over €15'. Grand away I toddle to get me games to swap.

Problem. It isn't actually any game worth over €15, its any game *they* decide is worth €15 euro. Thus, Rallisport is worth €5!! Its a launch game so fair enough, I was prepared to concede it may be worth less -however they then had the cheek to ask for €25!! Because Rallisport was only worth €5 I was €10 short for the deal, which in cash = €25???? The maths then work out at: they give you a game worth €60, for 4 games they'll sell at average €30 = €120.. that's not even not counting the markup on the €60 game itsself: result: - they're screwing you royally.

Anyway long and the short of it - avoid the deal, hang on to your old games, and buy from play.com anyone but GAME.

lph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

TBH ppl should really try and start selling their old games amongst themselves .

Its something that I have started to tell a few lads that I know , " offer them to me first please " , cause I would give more for the game than any store , take rallisport for instance , game offered 5 , I would give 10 np and think I got a deal .

Maybe the ppl on boards.ie . or some other forum would allow a board to be set up to allow ppl form the same areas to organise a night for trading games . Just an idea . Something like one night a month every from the local comes to " a place " to buy or sell games .

John

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by jonski
    Maybe the ppl on boards.ie . or some other forum would allow a board to be set up to allow ppl form the same areas to organise a night for trading games . Just an idea . Something like one night a month every from the local comes to " a place " to buy or sell games .

I’d be brilliant if their was some sort of board to sell your games to other people – like a for sale board, or even a board called FS DVDs / CDs / Software / Games. That would be brilliant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You're still buying from GAME when you have the Internet?

Originally posted by monument
    I’d be brilliant if their was some sort of board to sell your games to other people – like a for sale board, or even a board called FS DVDs / CDs / Software / Games. That would be brilliant. :)

Thats not what I was talking about , I was talkin about meeting up face to face , not many ppl are going to go to the bother of putting games in the post for the sake of a couple of euro . I was talkin about an organised meeting of ppl from the same areas . Sorry I though I had made that clear .

John

I know, but why bother when the FS board works?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by monument
    I know, but why bother when the FS board works?

Because obviously it doesn't work for everyone , and I am constantly reading in these forums about people giving out about trading games in in xtravision or game or where ever . I though it was a good idea , but maybe not .

John

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

thats a great idea. there are widely advertised record trading fairs, why not have a big game trading fair. if you organised it right with a few posters round the city you'd have hundreds of people coming in with loads of stuff, new and old.

it would be particularly great for a bit of retro action (my SNES broke and i want a new one :() im sure all you gaming-retrophiles have much more on yer mind then just Snes and megadrive stuff, all manner of stuff would turn up.

this is a serious idea and i would be well on for trying to organise this, and it'd be a good kick in the teeth for those rip-off merchants who give people pittance for good quality games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

In fairness to Game, Smyths and the other video game retailers, you do occasionally get games cheaper there then on the net. Not only that but you're not waiting weeks for it to arrive. As for selling your games, the FS board here is fantastic! You'd have probably got €10 anyway for that RallySpooirt game, just cover it in a few A4 pages and sticky tape, 80 cent for postage and chuck it in a postbox, easy.

I sincerely hope that you didn't part with 4 games to get a new one for €25, I'd have walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Out of curiosity, which branch of GAME was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

nah - told them to stick their deal.. the young fella beside me was slowly twigging as I gave out, that he was being screwed, and followed me out. It was in GAME on Mary Street.

The reason I go into GAME or any of the others is usually on an impulse. I know I can get it cheaper on the net etc. But somethimes I like to spend the cash and walk out with the goods (tis a phychological ting!), and the extra differnece doesn't usually bother me all that much because I expect as much at this stage. What really had me pissed was the fact they were taking 4 perfectly good games which i could see the mark up on by browsing the PreOwned section and telling me they still wanted 25squids!!

lph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just wondering, because I work in the one in Tallaght and we've had so many people coming in for this... From the first time I saw the marketing for it i knew it was a ripoff, but I cant do anything about it because it's my job to sell the stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Gamestop have a similar offer going, you should check it out.

look here for more info
    http://www.gamestop.ie/images/specials/tradein_games.jpg
    http://www.gamestop.ie/euro_specials.asp

The text of the offer is below and is taken from the tradein_games.jpg file
    TRADE IN OFFER

Trade in any 4 games and choose any game for FREE!!

(small print)
    Offer exludes Socom 2. We do not accept trade ins on PC or ??(couldn't make out this word) Games. This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer. Terms and Conditions apply. Ask staff for details. Games must have a pre-owned RRP of €14.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by DrEvil
    PC or ??(couldn't make out this word)

It says PSOne!

Originally posted by DrEvil
    (couldn't make out this word)

PSOne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Last few games i bought

Ut2004 25€ Xtravision
    BFV €20 Pc World
    Farcry €20 Pc World
    Ut2004 €20 Pc World (DVD version dont have dvd drive had to buy it)
    Call of Duty €15 Pc World
    Bf1942 with RTR €20 Gift Pc World
    Prince of Perisa GC €19 Game
    Worms 3d GC €19 Game

Theres bargains to be had if you look. All posted in bargain alerts when i found them and when others find them.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Henry Street... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

lol this is classic GAME,
    You give in 4 games, traded for €15 each, and you get a whole new game totally free!!!!!! WOOOOO!!

wait... 4 multiplied by €15 is €60.... which is the price of most new games... which means there is no special offer, its the same as always, and they're just telling you its special in the hope that you'll think you're getting a great deal.... hmmmm

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    its the same as always, and they're just telling you its special in the hope that you'll think you're getting a great deal.... hmmmm

Flogen

That's marketing for you.

Advertisement