Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approx vat etc charges on items from US

Options
  • 17-06-2004 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hello all

Am just wondering does anyone know the possible vat and related
    charges that might apply to an mp3 player?
    I have seen one on ebay for a good price.The del is $45.00.
    Thats having it sent Global Priority mail.
    Would the the post office deliver or the comp GLS.?
    My friend sent a medium box a few months ago from the US,containing some coffee sweets and such and I had to pay 40 euro for vat etc.I thing she put the value at $100 or so.A lot over the actual cost though.

Any thoughs most welcome,to help decide if its really a good price!
    Cheers

Also what criteria decides if the post office or GLS delivers?
    The box would not be large.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/pn_1179.pdf

(([cost of item + cost of transport]+duty)+VAT)+(handling charge by courier)

If it is sent via USPS or Royal Mail it will (might ;)) be delivered by GLS

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

tks for that Victor

Dont laugh....but is the rate based on the dollar value or the euro?
    Cos the dollar would be showing on the customs right?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would be converted from $ to € and you would pay in €

Make sure the courier doesn't rip you off in handling charges and miscalculations.

How would I make sure of that?

Is the rate 21% vat....plus extra for del fee and customs?

I checked the USPS site and its says that GLS will be delivering all global mail.

Are GLS honest?:dunno:

Would they try to fleeze me?
    again tks for ur help.

Me again....
    This is from the USPS site.

Global Airmail Parcel Post and GEM shipments mailed by consumers valued at €45 and up to but not including €350 ($395.78 as of August 4, 2003) are assessed a combined customs duty and tax of approximately 13.5 percent plus an administrative fee of €9.50 ($10.74 as of August 4, 2003) for customs clearance.

My Parcel would be $269.99 and del is $45.00,so its under the $350.00 threshold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hopefully!

As the notoriious GLS handle US pacels in Ireland, including the Tax collection , I am not very hopeful.

Print that page out and have it ready to show to the GLS operative when he arrives,

I have heard some real horror stories about the antics of GLS as an agent for USPS but do tell us how it goes now you understand the principles behind it. GLS only take cash BTW

M

Yes I will indeed let you know.
    I have ordered the player so hope it wont be a huge amount to pay:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

Watch out for the duty calculation and make sure they convert to € before calculations. I had a case with Fedex where they calculated the duty and taxes on Canadian $ instead of converting to € which made the price of the good almost 3 times the cost here :rolleyes: I got my money back but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

my 2cents :cool:

Would the rate be a different rate to what I paid?
    Or they look at the $ amount and then convert to euro on the day?

I am so nervous about this now........

Would I have to pay the del comp even if the amount was wrong,and then try claim it back?I s that what you did w/ fedex?

:dunno:

You will see the charges on the receipt of your delivery. You might not notice much difference between € and US$ but in my case it was Canadian $s which was around $1.65 for €.

Unfortunately you will have to pay the taxes to whoever delivers to your door at the time if you want your package that day and dispute later or you can refuse to collect (e.g not enough funds at the time of delivery etc.) and go to their collection point somehwere in the city.

Nothing to be nervous about, I am sure it will all go well for you, just check your paper work for correctness as there can be mistakes.

All the best.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

it is very arbitrary , if you pay the wrong duty I would go straight to your local customs n excise office in the Revnue and demand a rebate / investigation of GLS as a customs agent (a collector of Revenue for the government in effect) , you will get any overpayment back that way .

M

Originally posted by Muck
    it is very arbitrary , if you pay the wrong duty I would go straight to your local customs n excise office in the Revnue and demand a rebate / investigation of GLS as a customs agent (a collector of Revenue for the government in effect) , you will get any overpayment back that way .

M

Yep maybe, but they did all that for me. Let them do the run around after all it was their mistake not revenue. They refund me the difference so I didn't care much where it came from :D

I hope to have the player early this week.I tracked it on the usps site and its left the US!
    Does anyone have any idea how much I might have to pay?
    Put it in small letters so I dont have a heart attack:D

$269.99 player
    $45.00 s+h

Hi Guys...

Well the box arrived....and the cost was 27.70 euro!
    vat at point of entry=16.18
    duty=2.02
    customs clearance=9.50(but thats the fee gls get)

But I think what really saved it all was the cost of the item.
    The sender wrote the value as $90.00.
    The cost of shipping didnt show on the box.
    I am just so relieved it wasnt the 110.00 euro the first guy I spoke to in GLS said
    it could be.But It shows that cost needs to be thought about when buying from the US!So Tks for all your replies.I am now of to fill the 20g karma:D

Advertisement