Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading

Options
  • 17-06-2004 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

I have a win98 computer and I want to upgrade it to XP. Will I lose all the data on the computer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No use the Extra feature to export user files etc.

But you should do a full format and copy off whatever info want to cds etc.

Makes the install a lot cleaner and more stable.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beatrix

I'm probably going to sound stupid now but as they say nothing ventured nothing gained... I too have Win98 but I would like to upgrade to WinMX or Win2000 ... However I don't know how I can upgrade. I'd be really grateful for some help on this matter... Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Buy a Cd (dont think you can buy ME anymore think thats what you meant) but dont buy ME ever even if its free. its awful get XP pro if you can afford it.

insert new CD select Upgrade and away it goes ,but you really should do a full install and format the HD just make sure you get all files off it you want.
    kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

An upgrade from Windows 98 First Edition or later is fully supported to WIndows 2000 or WIndows XP.

All user settings and applications will be migrated during the upgrade.

Beware though, that hardware requirements are very different for newer operating systems, and you should source device drivers before you start your upgrade.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on the win9x cd there should be an app called Hwdiag (green icon) this will export the list of stuff in device manager.

If you have a software modem, or some old scanner or old windows printer you may not get drivers

Also check out the cost of windows XP - it ain't cheap - you could buy some interesting HW instead. Also you will need to apply all the patches and service packs, 100MB on dial up is no joke (SP2 will scale in at over 200MB and won't be on cover disks)

Also if you have 98 on your PC it may be too old/slow
    You should have 256MB ram and 1GB free on the HDD at least - not sure on processor should be ~1GHz (anyone) and you may need to turn off the eye candy (adjust for best performance in system)

Don't forget if you ever convert your hdd to NTFS you will NEVER be able to put 98 back on without wiping the drive.

ME is a bargepole job - not quite in the league of Dos 4

Run eru (on the cd) and cfgback - to take snapshots of your reg files and boot files and make a system disk in add/remove programs before you do anything else with 98.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beatrix

Thanks a million for your help! I'll have to buy the cd for WinXP *what I meant to type before :oS* however because it's all that's compatible for my new digital camera. Ahhh I'm so bad with computers! lol

Advertisement