Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleting email directly from the mail server

Options
  • 17-06-2004 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Does anyone know how (or even if there's a way) to delete all my mail from my inbox without having to download all the messages? I want to delete them all at once if possible.

Telnet seems like the simplest and fastest way to go about it, but all i can figure out when i telnet in is how to delete the emails one by one, eg. "dele 1" and so on. Thats just too slow, cause i've got over 9000 emails waiting for me!

I've just downloaded a program called G-Lock SpamCombat that downloads the headers and then delete them, but that still takes a while.

Any ideas?
    Oh yeah, it's my pop3 eircom account i want to sort out, mail1.eircom.net, in case it makes a difference.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Set your mail client to download headers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Any other suggestions? Can i do it some way with downloading the least amount possible? Its just that 9000 headers still takes a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

'Magic Mail Monitor' will do it but still needs the headers.

Quickest way would be a call to eircom and get them to empty your mail box.

Cal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So if you dequeue email from someone elses server then you don't have download them.

But if your mail server is the one in MX records can you get it to reject emails from the original sender or do you have to download the whole email first ?

Is there any way of telling how large an email is ?
    eg: if a particular user has a size limit on incoming email or you want to reject email from certain hosts over a certain size can you simply ask the other server to stop sending ??

And how would you do this in Exchange ?
    Is there a mail filter app that could do this before the mail got to exchange ?

Can you stop exchange sending back out the full email when it rejects it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

If you don't want any of the e-mails, then this is how I did it recently.

Open a yahoo account, set it up to download e-mails from the relevant account, making sure you set the option to delete messages from the server, and when that's done, delete the yahoo account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement