Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry

Options
  • 17-06-2004 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

anyone have any pointers or suggestions on this subject? its the last exam for me so i want to finish happily...i have studied a ton but i still have loads to do.....there was a lot of fuss made about the exam last year when a qt came up that wasnt even on the syllabus...so maybe this year they will be gentle on us...its almost as unpopular as physics..i wonder why??....... im stilll a bit bruised after biology but you gotta keep on trucking....{/B]

the 3 worst experiments came up last year hip hip hooray!! i hate the iron tab and the volatile liquid one!!!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

..... has anyone actually managed to do all the sample papers?? i was doing some on organic chemistry and theres a few with some weird mistakes..--namely edco papers page30 QT6 what the hell is the middle one-- CH2OHCHOHCH2OH--THAT DOESNT BLOODY EXIST!!!--but i think its an ester misprinted.sorry for nitpicking but chemistry is a nit-picky science

here are some of my suggetions for the exam, from doing a bit of DIY statistics and analysing.............

EXPS 2003--1)IRON TAB 2)ETHYNE GAS 3)VOLATILE LIQUID
    EXPS 2002--1)ETHANOIC ACID 2)SOAP 3)EFFECT OF CONC. ON RATE OF REACTION

FINDINGS:
    *** there have been no full questions in the last two papers about gases (theory or formulae), or on acids--Ka Kb, Kw of water etc (the harder chapter)

*** there have been no full questions on options (just half ones scattered higgeldy-piggeldy)...and these have been on atmosphere--o3,green houses gases etc(for those doing that option ) ...so maybe industrial chemistry--case study is up for a chance?

***no qt on electrolysis either in the last two years so maybe...(hopefully not)

;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Whoa...mind laying off the bold please?

sorry its my personality .....i skinny letters......:p

oops..... i ***hate skinny letters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I saw the papers

**te*, *er****as*** and **h li**d are coming up as the experiments. The long questions are **det**, orga**c and mostly ***ds and b***s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

CH2OHCHOHCH2OH--THAT DOESNT BLOODY EXIST!!!--

Yes it does. It's glycerol, a tri-alcohol
      H H H
      | | |
    H-C-C-C-H
      | | |
      O O O
      | | |
      H H H

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I dropped this bítch of a subject!!

aha ! so thats how you can make soap from it ! thanks for that...was driving me spare....

its a bi-product of making soap--how did i forget that?...man i hope that doesnt come up i can never remember that exp.....

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    I saw the papers

**te*, *er****as*** and **h li**d are coming up as the experiments. The long questions are **det**, orga**c and mostly ***ds and b***s.

What?

• Advertisement

Sorry, it was supposed to be a parody of this
    oops..... i ***hate skinny letters

I still can't figure out an obscene word ending in hate

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

:) okay... excuse my slowness, but I've been running around after kids all day and I am wrecked. And now I need to go and study Chemistry and Physics...

Maybe shate? ****e pronounced in a very accenty accent?

ill tell what the word is --its kinda a weird word i use in daily speech its i f**kinihate--i tend to make up words----

Yeah I'm in a panic over physics and chemistry being monday and tuesday. I've been super relaxed since all my exams bar the first few have had several days in between for studying. I did the electricity/magnetism chapters today, chemistry tomorrow then physics on sunday. Hopefully it will be straight forward as usual. I'm banking on A1s in both

chemistry is one of those subjects where you can just go blank...i did fairly medicore in my my mock exam simply because i became a bit pompous and thought i had it sorted --so since then and now i have done a tonne and nearly did every qt in the exam papers--but i forget things so easily!!--well mostly the chapters im not fond of like gases and ionic trends

****e two more days left to cram.......cripes i wonder can i leave out electrolysis and/or the option........both of them are so long for such little marks ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    ****e two more days left to cram.......cripes i wonder can i leave out electrolysis and/or the option........both of them are so long for such little marks ....

Yeah, you could, if you've covered everything else. Only 6 questions out of 8... and only 5 if you do all three experiments.

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    The option only seems to be a half question, and maybe a part in q5. It's an option, therefore it's not necessary to do it, so yes you can leave it out. Electrolysis... Meh I don't know it properly yet. Good idea actually, that's something for me to study now...

i hate electrolysis its very un-chemistry like in my opnion..i like the real hard core stuff like organic chemistry ans ox-reduction........jeez i should be doing it know but....do you think it would be safe to leave out the exps from the last 2 papers or could they do the dirt on us???

Well there tends to be a question in section B that has to do with a mandatory experiment (in q 4 or one of the half-questions) & they could well ask about one that's come up before there to catch you out. Especially since you've gone & said it out loud, too.

• Advertisement

heeh hee as superstituous as me then...:pwell i have tried to do chem as much as possible but i still am a bit vague on the exps......its just a lot of them are so similiar..its the harder ones i find easier to remember because they are more specific...titrations just are so alike....and i HATE that colorimeter exp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Stalin

^^^^Yeah i am defo ,but they half kinda come up in section B like little tiny Qs on them.

chemistry is really sneaky..i was pissed off with my pres results .... but i just panicked in the exam and forgot how to do simple things and ended up losing stupid marks.......i think with chem it can just seep away from your memory without you knowing so you have to go over stufff CONSTANTLY...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Stalin

^^^true...looking back at my mock , i have written stuff that i dont even know now...What are the main things to cover in the exam??

i think organic chem is a BIGGIE you can have up to two org exps and 3 long qts......and also id say gases are imp cos they havent been asked yet..and the harder acid chapters(with all the calculations)...equilibrium.....and must know totally well--all the first chaps-- you know---periodic table,bonding,trends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

As an A1'r from last year lads the advice i can give you is to do all the questions...i know it sounds crazy but you have sooo much time all the questions only require very definite answers dont bother your arse dressin it all up...its my experience that in science based subjects the person correcting your paper will be very pisssed of reading a chemistry/dickens script with the sun beating in on them when they could be off doin somethin better!! if you do this and answer all the questions they will be impressed and you'd be surprised where they can give ya marks when you didn't really deserve them!! i know its a bit late telling you this but the leaving cert is a system....and with every system there is a way of playing the system!!
    in english for example i went in and answered all the questions i knew no1 else would(Frost when the whole country did heaney and Plath)...got an A2 when i had never gotten over 50% in my life!!

Play the system and you will be rewarded....My chemsitry teacher told us the week before we went into our exam that she never even did chem in college!!!ultimate confidence boost-biggest B**ch in the world...

Best of Luck

thanks...i hope i do get on well cos all i really like is science and philosphy and i think science is a bit more probable as a college course---well i want to do biomedical science so its a bit of bio and chem which i love!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

yeah, i'm doin chem engineering but will prob head down biochem route in a few years...PHD in America oh yeah baby...The leaving cert chem course is an absolute joke tbh, we did most of it in 2 months in college and about 60-70% of people never did chemistry before...very east stuff..Get some small cards and write out all the reactions on them, even draw little diagrams of the aparatus and just leave them in your back pocket for next few days...look at them whenever you have a spare minute i guarantee you when you go into the exam you'll see your cards in your mind and copy everythin down...
    And remember they love diagrams...draw them everywhere even when not asked...picture is worth a thousand words!! if you leave sometin out in your description but theres a reference to it in your diagram they;ll give you a few marks..

i hope to do research or something but i know these days research is so bloody corrupt you have to get sponsored usually by some big company and they tell you exactly what to do...i would love to just be able to do research into aids or cancer or something useful without having some multinational gnawing at my back....

• Advertisement

well i suppose i should go now and actually do some study...man the amount of time i spend here...:dunno: ...ill be back on mon night to panic!!!!

Advertisement