Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

This is what i'll be given priority to over the next day or so.

Section A

(1) Soduim Thiosulphate and Iodine Titration (using Potassium Manganate as an oxid agent to liberate Iodine forom excess Potassium Iodide)

(2)Bleach Experiment, hypochlorite ions etc.

As regards the organic experiment in section A,anything may appear.

Section B

Im Focusing on;

Atomic Theory Chapters
    The Six organic Chapters
    My option
    Water
    Acids and Bases
    The Gas laws
    Thermochemistry
    Equilibrium

NB*In the mocks in my school the major loss in marks came from not knowing the definitions.Every question usually opens with "Define" [insert Q here].At least 5 marks goes for this question.So.... a loss of 5 marks in every question can have a major impact on your grade.

good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

that looks pretty concise ---but dont forget gasse i have a feeling they are going to come up.........and they are some fecking hard qts on that......

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Doesn't look too concise to me, his section b revision looks like most of the course.

And don't you think you're somewhat putting all your eggs in one basket by only doing the two Iodine expmts?

Originally posted by c0rk3r
    This is what i'll be given priority to over the next day or so.
    Im not leaving out anything.Just giving priority in oder of importance according to Tara lyons.

To get full marks you need to know the entire course.

im just after revising organic and i still have a ton to do....ill do more tomorrow and then get up at 7 and study for about 4 hours before the test...itll be my last exam so hopefully i will survive on the adrenaline and the big bowl of porridge

• Advertisement

Originally posted by c0rk3r
    Im not leaving out anything.Just giving priority in oder of importance according to Tara lyons.

To get full marks you need to know the entire course.

Were you in the institute this year?

Because if you were, we have different information.

Yup, was in your classics class aswell.

This is what ive got hand written on the back of my Volumetric Analysis notes.

Acid/Base

(1)Standardisation of a Hcl solution using a standard solution of Sodium Carbonate

(2)Determination of the concentration of ethanoic acid in vinegar.

Redox

(3) Postassium Manganate (VII) and Ammonium (II) Sulphate Crystals.

(4)Determination of the amount of iron in an iron tablet.

Redox

(5)Sodium Thiosulphate and Iodine Titration

(6) Bleach

Terms of calculations

2,6 (%w/v)
    1,3,5 (%water of crystallisation)
    3,5 (could be %purity)
    4 (unique)
    2,6 (Dilution factors involved,undiluate at the end)

________
    | 1, 3, 5 | Likely number 5
    |_______| Second Contender 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Took a while for this to come to the top today, obviously people arent too worried about chemistry!!

Im just gonna run over everythin and get whatever! I dont care! All I need is a pass and I got 55% in my mocks and that was rushed so I *should* be OK but im not running any risks and so ill just run over everythin cause I aint done ANYTHING in about 3-4 weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by Smellyirishman
    Took a while for this to come to the top today, obviously people arent too worried about chemistry!!

Or else too busy trying to learn off everything... ;)

im just after finishing art today so now its crunchtime!! i am worried because i want to do realy well .....ill start studying in around an hour and then 2mrw get up fairly early so that the info will be fresh in my head...this is weird--my mum said she heard on the radio that they say its good to watch telly before an exam instead of cramming because it can improve your memory!!---i wonder.........

• Advertisement

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    im just after finishing art today so now its crunchtime!! i am worried because i want to do realy well .....ill start studying in around an hour and then 2mrw get up fairly early so that the info will be fresh in my head...this is weird--my mum said she heard on the radio that they say its good to watch telly before an exam instead of cramming because it can improve your memory!!---i wonder.........

I'm sure that has more to do with being relaxed and not trying to cram in any more information so that what you already know will be clearer, rather than any magical powers the television might have. :)

yes true true..it is said that your brain emits the same alpha waves while watching telly that it does when you are in a light sleep--basically because your eyes rarely move when watching telly your brain kinda shuts down, thats how you can watch tv for hours and not be aware of the time slipping by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Claire H good point, but even people TRYING to learn come on here , I think people are winding down a bit now and know if they have done well enough or know what they need etc...

Me im just wasting around waiting for the match to start and ill prolly end up jamming it all in tommorrow!

P.S ANYONE that says cramming doesnt work is a lier! It may not work long term but my god it does work for useless tests like these!

Oh and anyone got a industry process done with the name of a factory etc cause I lost the one we got I think! :(

we did IFI in cobh they are shut down but still on the course...they make ammonia from nitrogen and hydrogen and make fertilisers

i just have a feeling this year will be GASES i dunno but its a weird gut feeling...i suppose i should go and study now with what ever energy i have left --after art --im so wrecked from getting up early before an exam to cram...it makes my head dizzy:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Anyone know whats going on with the experiments in the chemical equilibrium / oxidation reduction chapters? The really crap ones where you have a million test tubes and you add a bit of something to each one then look at the colour change and write down the million half equations, there is no sums or anything. Do we really need to know them. I just know if I don't they will come up

Thank god that's over. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭BangBeater

Not a bad exam...... I think!

For Q6 - I got heat of formation of methane to be 75.6 kJ mol-1
    Any1 else get that??

Q8 - What's the quantity B?!!!!

Our teacher, after it, was saying that pt (d) of Q 8 is actually not a mandatory exp. and therefore should not be there! How many actually got that?!

Oh, yeah, Q4 (h) - got 70% but it could hav been 35% for percentage by mass of iron oxide- any1??

Q9 (e) Got Kc to be 7.1 * 10 to the power of something - any get that?!

Q11 I said limitations of the pH scale was that ngative answers are possible which don't really tell u anything

b2-b3

not enough organic, stuggled for a question 8.

Just one exam left.

WHO-RA!

THE MOLAR VOLUME FOR GAS was wrong it said 24 but it should BE 22.4!!!!
    how did ye think ye did??? im so f ucking depressed i studied a s hit load but i think i got on sh ite some qts really got to me and i wasnt able to answer them all properly......i feel horrible.....i need to be reassured...its not the way i thought i d end it feeling like this....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Damn gorgeous exam. The stuff I didn't do I had no clue of (Q10, argh) but the stuff that I did do was dead simple.

youre lucky..im in the throes of depression...it wasnt that i found it hard but there were itsy-bitsy bits that i TOTALLY f ucked up. i did qts and bits i would leave out till the end...not a good idea..........and itsy bitsies add up......

Bangbeater, I got the same answer... nice work.

Yeah that experiment is not only not mandatory but its also not even a demostration. I just waffle about the intermediate theory instead.

I got 70%

Q9 0.401...

For Q7 was the carboxylic acid ethanoic or propanoic?

please tell me what was 8d?:(

i think it was propanoic thats goes from propanol to propanone to propanoic using nickel and h* ion right???

Got the same answers as you for Q6 and on the %Fe.

I put down propanoic, my mind was tormented at that stage :p .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 uary

For Q6 - I got heat of formation of methane to be 75.6 kJ mol-1
    Any1 else get that??

I got that!

4 h What is percentage by mass of iron in iron oxide Fe3O3?

I got 70 %
    as molecular mass is 160 and iron adds up 112 divided by 160 multiply by 100.

i know that you can when you oxidise a secondary alco it goes to a ketone so it would be the opp for reduction...? man i rushed that qt....

anyone work out the ideal gas equation qt???

Want me to make out some answers? I did all the questions as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭BangBeater

Wat did ye all get for the Kc value- Q9 Part (e)?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    THE MOLAR VOLUME FOR GAS was wrong it said 24 but it should BE 22.4!!!!

22.4 L at s.t.p. It's 24 L at room temperature - which is what the question asked for. (Evil.)

If that isn't a mandatory experiment then maybe they'll do what they did the last time they asked something that wasn't on the course and just give the 18 marks for whatever you have down. *crosses fingers*

Advertisement