Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

less cars not more roads

Options
  • 17-06-2004 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

re the national monuments...

watching primetime there and they were interviewing somone in dun shauglin (i think) about the traffic he was complaining about the hour long tailbacks etc and how that he doesn't want to wait for a motorway in 2009 to be made but for a bypass round that town which would arrive in a couple of years sooner

duh! i can't really understand how this guy can't see that... building another road will solve his traffic problems....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm all in favour of roads..keeps the navvies in work. ;)

It may seem strange but Ireland has far too few miles of proper road (while having far too many miles of secondaries and boreens).

The main communter and transport routes between the cities/ports are clearly under resourced. We certainly need many more by-passes which are on the NRA drawing board at least.

Mike.

ps this should be moved to commuting/transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by mike65
    I'm all in favour of roads..keeps the navvies in work. ;)

It may seem strange but Ireland has far too few miles of proper road (while having far too many miles of secondaries and boreens).

Abolish them and hand out the obligatory penalty points .

Less cars on More roads I say.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

Less cars on More roads I say.

thats an interesting point....

moved? what the obsession with moving threads on this bb... im bringing up the subjecto of jobs versus life, quality of life, economy versus environment, bikes veruss cars, how to travel around the country side without cars, tara, druids, cycles of life, mythology, whether tara means anything to the guy in the pub... moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Less cars?

Send me a postcard from la-la-land will ya?

What are we supposed to use instead, the wonderful public transport system?

Sorry, but cars aren't a luxury anymore. You'd know that if you had a large family to transport.

If your concern is wasting resources, then look at the 1.5bn paid out for the Luas - basically two bus routes. The stupidity in this country doesn't anger me anymore - it just makes me feel physically sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i was just remmebering the other day when i was kid with 6 in my family... and a sort of station wagon we use to get in our car on sunday morning and travel the mile to the church?

god knows why?

large family cut out unnessecary car jounrneys ... less car journeys not more roads....

would anyone miss tara if it were bulldozed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by chewy
    would anyone miss tara if it were bulldozed?
    Lots of people probably would. Lots of Meath people definitely would.

And the faery folk might get angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Won't have any of these problems once we get the Star Trek transporters working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭kahlua

In Dublin, the solution is to have a car pool lane for cars with four or more people in it and more buses and public transport. The traffic is very bad at peak times because people are driving to and from work with only one person in the car, this is ridiculous especially when a bus can take you there.

Other parts of the country tho it would be nice to get a bus every half hour at least. Galway is ridiculous you have no other choice but to take the car if you don't live in the city centre. You get huge traffic and the county councils solution is to build another round-a-bout. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by kahlua
    In Dublin, the solution is to have a car pool lane for cars with four or more people in it and more buses and public transport. The traffic is very bad at peak times because people are driving to and from work with only one person in the car, this is ridiculous especially when a bus can take you there.

Other parts of the country tho it would be nice to get a bus every half hour at least. Galway is ridiculous you have no other choice but to take the car if you don't live in the city centre. You get huge traffic and the county councils solution is to build another round-a-bout. :mad:
    What always annoys me most about Irish people is the instant jump into the car when it's raining. That amount of traffic on the road shoots up. This means that either a hell of a lot of people cycle or get the bus into work (except when it rains) or a hell of a lot of people don't bother going into work when it's not raining (wouldn't surprise me at all :D).
    Inexplicably, if the weather is nice in the morning, traffic is lighter, but if it rains in the afternoon, traffic increases - where are they new cars coming from if people didn't drive them into work? :confused:

Which pretty much proves my theory that traffic would plummett if we banned people from driving healthy children less than 3 miles to school. Seriously.

It's Ireland like. It's hardly like rain is unexpected at any time. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭kahlua

People are terrified of the phenomenon that is acid rain, that explains why people won't walk the fifty feet from the bus stop to the office door. They need a car to get them there safely.

Ah seriously tho, you have to be harsh with these people ban the cars.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two things needed

more shelter for pedistrians - if you have to walk to the shops on a day on which it is threatening to rain you would be more likley to walk if you knew you wernt going to get destroyed.

less cul de sac's
    in most estates in dublin you have to drive/walk the long way around to get to the shops - this means journeys are longer than they have to be with more cars on the road than if they could use direct routes. putting up ramps would stop their usage as rat runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by seamus

Inexplicably, if the weather is nice in the morning, traffic is lighter, but if it rains in the afternoon, traffic increases - where are they new cars coming from if people didn't drive them into work? :confused:

Which pretty much proves my theory that traffic would plummett if we banned people from driving healthy children less than 3 miles to school. Seriously.

It's Ireland like. It's hardly like rain is unexpected at any time. :rolleyes:

Agree about schoolkids. Why when I was a nipper sometime before decimalisation I took the bus and when I moved school I walked the mile or so....as I did at secondary school. Its no wonder so many children are already obese. As for magic cars in the afternoon thats easy - dad/mum/son/daughter calls mum/dad/son/daughter "can you pick me up this evening..?"

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

in other countries they have subways and rail lines that cover more land than ireland and can transport our entire population in a day and we are still building roads! why can't this govrnt realise that the answer to our problems is a country wide subway/rail system that runs on time and goes faster than 30m/h.

if people could travel from outside of city to dublin in less than an hour by train then it would cut down on those taking their cars. it might also be a good idea if some of the stations were close to where people want to go.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    more shelter for pedistrians - if you have to walk to the shops on a day on which it is threatening to rain you would be more likley to walk if you knew you wernt going to get destroyed.
    Ooh ooh!! You could make portable shelters! They could, like, fold up when you don't need them - they'd have to be made of some kind of fabric over a collapsible metal frame. Then you'd need some sort of handle so you could hold it over your head without having to reach up too high. This could be huge!!!

/oscarBravo rings a patent lawyer...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Ooh ooh!! You could make portable shelters! They could, like, fold up when you don't need them - they'd have to be made of some kind of fabric over a collapsible metal frame. Then you'd need some sort of handle so you could hold it over your head without having to reach up too high. This could be huge!!!

/oscarBravo rings a patent lawyer...
    The main problem is wind - you'd need to make it with carbon fibre vanes - metal struts don't bounce back into shape. - and portable shelters don't cover your legs as well. Unfortunatley public liability insurance limits the provision of horizontal surfaces under which one can shelter - the old bus shelter debate - where shelters have to be made of glass so they won't block the view (even at a wall, and even though they have bloody big adds that are designed to be eye catching)

BTW: re the patent lawyer - since someone has patented a "circular transport facilitatior" suggest you try for the "constant radius mobility enhancer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Out of curiousity, how many public transport journeys are made in Ireland each day (bus + train)

Here in Singapore it is 2 million journeys daily for a country with the same population as Ireland.

Ironically even though it is about the size of county dublin, I think it has more miles of expressway than probably most of ireland.

Perhaps when public transport gets to a level like here could we even consider this. And really only for ubran transit.

There needs to be a motorway network linking our major urban areas. I mean even the inter city buses will benifit from this, because they get stuck in all those traffic jams too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Quite true about expressway in Singapore - never had any problem with traffic when I was there and the population is twice that of Dublin, and probably 4 or 5 times as dense in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

It would be crazy to ban cars.

The we'd have nothing to drive through puddles and splash all those schtoopid pedestrians with! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

As far as I know, the road planning in Singapore was done fairly recently in conjuction with city development.

They didn't have the problem there of having to build around a medaevial street structure and town planning done by brown-bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Smaller cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Get rid of cars,,, and make the main means of transport be motorbikes. Just have trucks and vans for commercial work, ect....

It would end gridlock, easy parking, more economical (depending on ur cc), and be class in general.

Anyone complaining of getting wet on a bike, fook them out to Spain or somewhere.

It`d be class. Even girls could ride a scooters, and they could feel free to jump up on the bk of any bike i`d have. Hee hee.

Expand the existing road network so that the majority of all roads outside of towns/cities, have two lanes. A speeding lane, and the general traffic lane.

Bring in laws against drivers that persist in driving at 30-40 mph on speeding lanes, and refuse to move out of them.

Ban cyclists from all major roads. (Simply because I don't like them, and the majority refuse to stay on the hard shoulder)

Bypass all minor towns, unless the town is capable of having a road that is not congested due to double parking, or parking alongside the road. (i.e. stiff fines for parking alongside the street, and more traffic cops to apply those fines)

Ban all drivers over the age of sixty from the road. All drivers over the age of 50 should have to do a driving test every 4 years. Any disability at that age, should prevent them from driving.

As for motorbikes, with the general weather we have in ireland, not many people would be interested in using them. especially families. Personally I tried them as a teenager, and hated them.

Advertisement