Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big problem

Options
  • 17-06-2004 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

hows it goin.. big prob with pc.. know nothing about them so excuse me if the answer to this is in front of my nose :D

think there virus somewhere.. pc won't let me install, copy discs and won't let me X out of a window.. have to shut pc off.. if go into a link on boards even it freezes :(

what am i to do??? so have an operating system disc which says do not load this disc..... i'm presuming i don't load the disc :dunno: so how do i get sort this out..
    if have to pay someone can anyone recommend someone in the leinster region.. and about how much to fix a contrary pc.. :rolleyes:

thanks for any help.. ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which version of Windows ?
    eg: how many M$ programmers does it take to change a light bulb ?
    None - they just redefine Microsoft Darkness (R) as another new industry standard.

Reboot the machine - press F8 to get to the menu
    choose first "safe mode" option
    (or just hold down the right hand shift key when the computer starts)

in safe mode you will get funny messages - this is normal cancel /ok on them.

right click on your C: drive and tools - check for errors.

This won't do a lot - but without knowing which of the many incompatible versions of windows you are using can't say much more.

If internet explorer works then look up all the links on the stickies for
    * Antivirus
    http://www.avast.com/i_kat_6.html
    * patches
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

* mal ware blockers spybot
    * autoruns
    * firewall (zone alarm)

BTW: the Irish honeynet project reckoned that on average an unprotected machine connected to broadband would get hit after about 15 minutes - so if you did not have AV + firewall running then you may have nasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I can come around and fix it but I will have to charge you. If you need it done PM me. I did one last weekend and it took me three hours @ €30/Hour so this is the ballpark figure it will cost you. No fix - No pay. Do you have Internet Access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

bring it to a 2600 meet and get it fixed for free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

edit: better off in a PM :)

whats a 2600 meet?

• Advertisement

Scrub that last question I looked it up and it is a meeting of like minded individuals who discuss tech issues.

Originally posted by kmick
    a meeting of like minded individuals who discuss tech issues.

Oh you politically correct person you. Go on, say it. NERDFEST!!! :D

so, when's the next one?

<quote>The dublin 2600 meetings take place on the first Friday of each month @ 7.00 p.m and meet at the phone booths on Wicklow Street beside Tower Records and then straight on to the IFI (Irish Film Institute) upstairs, for food, drink and chat. If you are unfamiliar with the magazine 2600 it can be found in Tower Records on Wicklow Street.
    <\quote>
    Being somewhat of a nerd myself I would never disparage the endevours of others.

I wasnt disparaging (and no insult was intended to my fellow technically minded people). I dont actually see , or use , the term nerd as an insult.

must pick up a copy of that mag

Ah I know that anyone who is actually posting on boards.ie is pretty much going to rank under the broad umbrella of Nerdliness. Of course Nerds mocking Nerds is a time honoured tradition. You will know what I mean if you have ever watched Robot Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

If you can stay online for long enough, download MacAfee Stinger (linky ) and run that - it might get you out of hot water long enough to install a proper anti virus program...

Originally posted by LoLth
    edit: better off in a PM :)

BTW what did you mean by this?

I offered to fix PC, either where I work - chargeable - or after hours on my own time - free, 'cos I'm a bored nerd and in a good mood :) - decided after I posted that the offer would be best made in a PM (cos I dont want you lot stalking me in my work place :p ).

tadaaaa!

Well done - beats my offer of 30/hour. I have done it for free in the past but the way I see it this is my profession so I don't do free any more.

Advertisement