Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whos getting this?

Options
  • 18-06-2004 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

PSP_Face.jpg

Cos i am!, i cant wait for it. have you seen the graphics that it can handle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

not I! priced between $250 and $500 at launch...no thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    not I! priced between $250 and $500 at launch...no thanks...
    that's a fairly vague price:confused:
    17" monitor + 32" widescreen tv at home... think i'll pass thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Meh, think I'll stick with my Tapwave Zodiac for now ;)

Might get one if/when they're cheap and secondhand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 daveffrench

its priced to go between $125-$200 at launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Was going to get it just for Metal Gear Acid, but that I hear its a turnbased card game I'm thinking I won't bother.

• Advertisement

but what about the nintendo ds. that looks preety good too. which do ye think is better the nintendo ds or psp??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i think the psp looks more grown up, probably for the same people the original playstation was aimed towards ie those in their 20's+. the gba ds looks more childish and nintendo games tend to be more colourfulll and childish so its up to personal preference really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I was playing Halo the other night.
    Housemate: "What is it about watching other people play video games that makes me want to throw the console out the window?"

I think a PSP, clunky as it may be, might save me a whole load of grief.

I also like the fact that they're promising WiFi capability - done right, this could lead to some amazing social gaming (sitting on a bus, notice someone else with a PSP and boom, you're in a game against them).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    I was playing Halo the other night.
    Housemate: "What is it about watching other people play video games that makes me want to throw the console out the window?"

I think your friend's answer is in the first line above.

:)

i think it should be interesting to see which will come out on top when there realised. the ps has been on top of the console market and nintendo have really been the only real handheld competitor but if the psp is the top seller, the playstation will dominate the market. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The PSP will dominate the hand held market now for the sole reason its sony pretty much, the PS would never have sold if sony didnt put billions into it, and be made by sony, and Im sure they'll do the same here and totally take over.

that is very true. the psp has kind of a sexy look about it........:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It does have Sonys sexy stylings, but it's really all about the price and the games that come out for it.

Nintendo's DS looks good in that their actually going for something completely new, with the pen interface and dual screens so at the moment if I had to choose between the two I'd probably go for the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Sony are theaving gypsies as far as I'm concerned.
    From the start I never really enjoyed playstation games, and always stuck with my N64/GC/GBA. If I was pushed I'd buy the DS, but I've contracted fully into my pc as of late...

The resolution for both screens on the DS is 256x192.

The resolution for the PSP is 480x272. Obviously the PSP will look nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's far too many unknowns about it right now.

How much will it cost? What about the games? What about the movies and music? What's the actual battery life? How on earth is that screen not going to scratched to pieces by my keys in my pocket?

So far all they've provided us with is a lovely looking design for the system, and not much else.

Slightly off topic, but: I've just noticed the MagicGate logo underneath the D-Pad, does this mean it takes memory sticks as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Slightly off topic, but: I've just noticed the MagicGate logo underneath the D-Pad, does this mean it takes memory sticks as well?
    This month's Edge has shots of all corners of the PSP, and yes, it takes memory sticks. The guy from Sony that they interviewed reckoned these could be used to store downloaded content for some games (e.g. additional tracks for Wipeout).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The good thing about the DS is that it can play GBA games, but the new psp will have to start fresh with these mini cd things.:dunno:

Does anyone know if the DS will use A LOT more battery power now that it has an extra screen ?

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

How on earth is that screen not going to scratched to pieces by my keys in my pocket?

there is a cover for the front of the console as far as i am aware to keep it clean and scratch free

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's far too many unknowns about it right now.

read this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yes, whatever about the public, it's certainly not a good sign when the boss of one of the largest publishers in the world is unaware of key points regarding the PSP. And the launch is just around the corner? Are Sony yet again rushing a console to market?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think if it wasn't for the pricing the PSP would wipe the floor with the DS. However Nintendo have stated that the DS will be an affordable price, <150 dollars. From the specs I'd say the PSP will be far more expensive and out of the price bracket for most kids and teenagers. I'd say about 300-350 dollars

It will be interesting to see how it develops. I'm more interested in the DS. The new ideas it uses will make for very interesting games if used right. I'll still probably buy both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i read the price is going to be around 350 €
    i mean, no way hozay i`m paying that .

also games aint gonna be cheap and yOU gotta buy Special movies, yeah you heard me lets get a movie to watch on a small screen.

i`ll get it when price seems reasonable and i hope they crack down the system and get hacks and mods for it so people can play their own videos.

They were playing music videos on the psp in E3, they hardly expect us to spend money on a music video now ?

Would you be able to transfere movie files onto the memory stick and then watch them on the PSP? And music?

That would be rather nifty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would you be able to transfere movie files onto the memory stick and then watch them on the PSP? And music?

I severely doubt it. Maybe if a mod chip becomes available but otherwise probably not. Sony is trying to make the UMD format that the PSP uses a new standard media for music and films. They seem to be promoting it a lot and have bought shares in a major film studio, MGM I think, and will probably use them as a base for UMD discs. I would think that it would be very harmful to sonys UMD plans if they let you put music or videos on the memory stick.

See? Theavin gypises. Only after the gold.
    Why can't they just give the public what they want for a change. I'm sure they have enough cash at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The thing which would annoy me about the PSP (apart from the price...im a poor student) is the battery life. Apparently its only about 2.5 hours for games and movies...
    i'll be getting a DS. i'm such a nintendo addict...just got wario ware inc today, and if wario ware ds is anything like as mad it'll be fantastic! and if they sort out the controls, metroid: hunters looks like fun. and the one...the only...Super Mario 64x4!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

NEWS FLASH – MS to give the public ‘what they want’

Nintendo repeats their E3 claim – “they [MS] don’t care what people do, just as long as they do it on their OS”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It looks as though the PSP is going to have great graphics, but as Nintendo said about their new console, gamers are no longer bowled over by just good graphics, for example, would you keep buying the same game again and again just because the graphics look a little crisper? The DS offers something different, and for a good price too. While there will be a lot of kids stuff, I dont think it will be as bad as before, even the GBA, and more importantly the GBA SP has shown some more maturity, trying to appeal to fashion consious adults, and bringing out games that would suit adults more (like MOH, some retros like Street fighter etc).

The PSP is bound to push itself as a boys-toy, for 20-somethings with big enough incomes, this could do damage to any possible xbox handheld, and could leave Nintendo to move to a more kiddy friendly direction, which I hope wont happen.

I'll be getting the DS, unless PSP offer me something more than a PS1.5 in my pocket at a stupid price.

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't forget the size difference the PSP is gigantic where as the DS is not as big

Advertisement