Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whos getting this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

The psp is not massive. the casing looks a hundred times better than DS. nintendo really need to do something about that. to be honest I think psp will win this war. we saw with playstation that it didnt have better games than the n63 but it kicked its arse and the same with ps2. The stylus controls is gonna piss everyone off and I know it. its a clever idea but think about it. youll have to be either holding the thing in you left hand and using the stylus or have it on a table. plus i think the other screen is just gonna be a waste of space for some games. I hate sony and have never purchased a sony gaming console. I love my Nintendo but I cant see them coming out on top.

also whoever said the psp will be about $125 - $200...your well out. the game boy advance cost somewhere in there. psp will be nearer to $250. while id say nintendo will launch DS at about 170

EDIT: acording to this. the psp will not be out anywere except japan before the end of the year. also it says the price will be between 30000 and 40000 yen which converts to between €220-300. while it says ds will go for about 120 - 140 euro.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/523/523718p1.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

However Nintendo will have the time advantage since they are releasing the DS a full year before the PSP. The DS wil be out for Christmas in Japan and America and 3 months later in Europe (fcuking typical of Nintendo).

I think it will be a far more close run thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

psp will be out in japan this year too. but

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I severely doubt it. Maybe if a mod chip becomes available but otherwise probably not. Sony is trying to make the UMD format that the PSP uses a new standard media for music and films. They seem to be promoting it a lot and have bought shares in a major film studio, MGM I think, and will probably use them as a base for UMD discs. I would think that it would be very harmful to sonys UMD plans if they let you put music or videos on the memory stick.

Hmm UMD the next standard for media? Whats that other media format that Sony tried to push and failed... MD maybe...

I hate Sony, they make up rubish standards that only they use and then wonder why nobody uses them....

Who will want a UMD copy of a movie then buy the DVD copy (or vice versa)? Only way UMD will take off as a media standard is if when you buy a DVD or CD you get a UMD copy as well.

Ill buy a DS straight away (may even import via friends in the States). Cannt wait to play Mario Kart DS. Hopefully there wont be import issues with the DS and DS games. Would be nice if the charger was dual voltage (like most chargers these days are). Backward compatibility with my existing GBA games is genius, hopefully there will be link cable compatibility as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Originally posted by Rew
    Hmm UMD the next standard for media? Whats that other media format that Sony tried to push and failed... MD maybe...

Dont forget BETA!!! :D

Unless it has amazing advantages and is very cheap, UMD will not be a new standard for media, DVD is pretty much set now, and no one is gonna change again unless its worth their while, besides, arent sony working with others on the new blue-laser disc media?? like DVD but 10 times more capacity, or something...???
    By the looks of things, UMD and its player aint gonna be cheap, or have anything that DVD doesn't (besides size, but big deal... MD have advantages over CD, more than just size too, and they've gone by the way-side, except maybe for people working in radio).

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by amp
    It does have Sonys sexy stylings, but it's really all about the price and the games that come out for it.

Nintendo's DS looks good in that their actually going for something completely new, with the pen interface and dual screens so at the moment if I had to choose between the two I'd probably go for the DS.
    The pen interface thing looks well annoying, apparently for the sonic game you have to keep moving it to keep him running, can you imagine doing that for hours on end?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm not 100% about this, but I *think* the music videos + other extras come with the music media.

Edit: OR maybe that's what is on the 'new blue-laser disc media'?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    I also like the fact that they're promising WiFi capability - done right, this could lead to some amazing social gaming (sitting on a bus, notice someone else with a PSP and boom, you're in a game against them).

The Nokia N-Gage and N-Gage QD already have this ability. Honestly it's one of the best techie gadgets I've ever bought. I have a load of my favourite music with me on the move, it's a phone and plus I have one or two brilliant games like Ashen and THPS which are brilliant in multiplayer mode. Plus there are some brilliant games coming out for the N-Gage this year.

A great thing about the N-Gage family is that both the original and the QD model are compatible so you can buy the older, side-talking design with MP3 and radio or you can buy the slicker, longer battery design but lose your USB, MP3 and radio.

I'm amazed these things haven't caught on in a big way!

Originally posted by Kold
    The pen interface thing looks well annoying, apparently for the sonic game you have to keep moving it to keep him running, can you imagine doing that for hours on end?

Thats a Tech demo not a full game....
    Originally posted by Poz3D
    The Nokia N-Gage and N-Gage QD already have this ability

Thats Bluetooth not WiFi. WiFi compatibility means that there is potential to play multiplayer games on your PSP/DS accross the internet or over wide area wireless nets (eg: campus and office networks). Main problem with that will be support on both devices for advaced authentication methods like 802.1x and HTTP/HTTPS hotspot style auth.... But imagine 4 or 5 people spread over a campus playing against each other in Mario Kart or somthing :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

PSP - playstion Portable Me Arse its huge imagine carrying that around in your pocket but its a ps2 in you hands none the less!

GTA on the move me thinks happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The Nokia N-Gage and N-Gage QD already have this ability. Honestly it's one of the best techie gadgets I've ever bought. I have a load of my favourite music with me on the move, it's a phone and plus I have one or two brilliant games like Ashen and THPS which are brilliant in multiplayer mode. Plus there are some brilliant games coming out for the N-Gage this year.

A great thing about the N-Gage family is that both the original and the QD model are compatible so you can buy the older, side-talking design with MP3 and radio or you can buy the slicker, longer battery design but lose your USB, MP3 and radio.

I'm amazed these things haven't caught on in a big way!

the reason the n-gage didn't catch on is cos it's bulky and looks terrible. ohh and don't get the boards talking about the side talking thingy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    GTA on the move me thinks happy days

coming to a GBA near you... URL=http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55746]eurogamer[/URL

Originally posted by Rew
    Thats Bluetooth not WiFi. WiFi compatibility means that there is potential to play multiplayer games on your PSP/DS accross the internet or over wide area wireless nets (eg: campus and office networks). Main problem with that will be support on both devices for advaced authentication methods like 802.1x and HTTP/HTTPS hotspot style auth.... But imagine 4 or 5 people spread over a campus playing against each other in Mario Kart or somthing :)
    I know the difference ;) The example the previous poster used was spotting someone on a bus with a PSP and playing with them. Bluetooth is good enough for this. In fact Nokia are bringing out games (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon) that will support up to 8 players simultaneously on Bluetooth! Of course, range is an issue.

You could always play through the N-Gage Arena using GPRS but Irish prices for that are astronomical at the moment. At least the technology is there...

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    the reason the n-gage didn't catch on is cos it's bulky and looks terrible. ohh and don't get the boards talking about the side talking thingy :p
    Ah, it's not that bad :). The side-talking is a bit of a problem, but you get used to it. I don't find it bulky though. Anyways, the new QD version solves the whole side-talking and 'MMC under the battery' issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    PSP - playstion Portable Me Arse its huge imagine carrying that around in your pocket but its a ps2 in you hands none the less!

A laptop is a portable PC - yet, I have never tried to put one in my pocket.

Have you? :)

Ah, it's not that bad :). The side-talking is a bit of a problem, but you get used to it. I don't find it bulky though. Anyways, the new QD version solves the whole side-talking and 'MMC under the battery' issue.

And they striped out all the other good features of the device ;)

The PSP and DS will have the potential to support games that have internet servers making the number of players limitless (ish ;) ) the WiFi solves the cost problem any way.

N-Gage is a dead duck at this stage. It was nothing more then a big marketing experiment from Nokia anyway. Make loads of mistakes, produce a **** device get
    loads of complaints and suggestions collect loads of data and come out with somthing decent in a few years time (or lean their lesson and for get it!).

The version of symbian is going to get superseeded, all its technology is rapidly going out of date. Games support will be from all the companies that do all the **** Java games while all the decent games go to the PSP and DS ;)

Id give them a life span of about another year or so before Nokia drops em. Nokia are a Telecomms company not a games/entertainment company. Basicly they will never get my hard earned cash for a games deck... :D

Originally posted by monument
    A laptop is a portable PC - yet, I have never tried to put one in my pocket.

Have you? :)

Thats coz u dont have one of theses:

http://www.oqo.com/

1ghz and 20 gig disk... beats the **** out of a PSP and a DS :p

Pitty about the price.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's too expensive and PC games don't work on a laptop (cos of the mouse). Anyway Console games are better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

Originally posted by daveffrench
    its priced to go between $125-$200 at launch.

no its not ill be getting a nintendo ds anyway

Originally posted by Rew
    The PSP and DS will have the potential to support games that have internet servers making the number of players limitless (ish ;) ) the WiFi solves the cost problem any way.
    Games are coming out soon for the N-Gage such as Pocket Kingdom, which will support 1000s of players over GPRS.
    Originally posted by Rew
    N-Gage is a dead duck at this stage. It was nothing more then a big marketing experiment from Nokia anyway. Make loads of mistakes, produce a **** device get
    loads of complaints and suggestions collect loads of data and come out with somthing decent in a few years time (or lean their lesson and for get it!).
    I don't know if games developers would agree with you. There are plenty of games lined up from big developers such as EA and Atari. Also big developers are still signing up to develop for N-Gage. Capcom recently signed a deal to bring classics like King of Fighters and Resident Evil to the N-Gage. The future's looking bright :)
    Originally posted by Rew
    Id give them a life span of about another year or so before Nokia drops em. Nokia are a Telecomms company not a games/entertainment company. Basicly they will never get my hard earned cash for a games deck... :D
    The same was said about Sony when they came out with the Playstation. They're an audio/visual company, not a games company. How opinions have changed...

• Advertisement

N-gage = good phone, mostly crap games.

Stop defending it. It's the ultimate skanger toy.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions :D OK, I'll stop defending your so called "skanger toy" :rolleyes:

Advertisement