Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL on a split line and EsatVSEircom.

• 18-06-2004 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there will be any complications when DSL is setup on a split line(2 different points in the house, same physical line)?

And does anyone know the real catch behind Eircoms' 4 month free package VS Esats'?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

A split line - you mean you have an extension socket? Just put a microfilter on the socket that's not connected to the DSL modem.

No idea about the relative benefits/snags of the current special offers - they're way too late for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Myg
    And does anyone know the real catch behind Eircoms' 4 month free package VS Esats'?
    There is no particular catch. Eircom wholesale are providing a rebate to the various DSL resellers, and each reseller can package that rebate in different ways. Eircom have decided to give new customers a "holiday" until August 31st (so you'll only get 2 months free if you sign up now, assuming you can get connected in 2 weeks). You have to sign a 12 month contract at the beginning.

ESAT and UTV have both decided to offer 3 month "free trials" on the assumption that the vast majority of people will actually sign up for the service after the trial - so you get the 3 month free trial, and then the first month of your 12 month service free - in UTVs case this means that you'll get 15 months fo DSL for 11x€30 - ie €22/month if you spread the cost out.

As far as I know, UTV and ESAT will both charge you the installation fee if you take up the service after the trial. (I think this is a mistake on their part).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 refused

Originally posted by Myg
    Does anyone know if there will be any complications when DSL is setup on a split line(2 different points in the house, same physical line)?

I'm not sure what the exact deal with that is here, but I know in Australia you could get a filter than would sit on the line coming into the house, rather than on the phone socket itself. The (cheaper/easier) alternative is to get 2 filters and stick on both lines.

[useless diagram] Where Xx represents your phone wall sockets.
    X1---T--[Filter]--[Phone]
         \--[ADSL]

X2--[Filter]--[Phone]

[/usless diagram]

HTH

Advertisement