Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"saint" Bono - Piss Off!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Originally posted by mycroft
    I have.

fair play to ya

My problem is Bono claims he's interested in reducing third world debt then hangs around with the people who could change the world but don't. It's his rank hyprocracy that pisses me off.

He hangs around them so that he tires to put his viewpoint across but he cant MAKE people do things

Remember we probably wouldnt be talking about third world debt if it werent for him

I can see why he pisses people off but I think this all stems form that old cancer of irish society, begrudgery.

ps what would u do if in his shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

He hangs around them so that he tires to put his viewpoint across but he cant MAKE people do things

But the arrogance to turn up at a political summit, knowing that you can't actually change anything, and the likelyhood that no one there will listen to you, but you get to try
    ps what would u do if in his shoes?

Good question Jubillee 2000 the campaign that got Bono involved in 3rd world debt relief, was set up (in ireland) by former nuns returning from Africa. They were on the streets of Genoa at that summit.

Sometimes it's better to be outside the tent and p*ssing in, on sheer principle.

I just was watching an interview Geldolf did post live aid, and his conviction was so passionate. Live Aid changed the world not because Geldof swaned up to Thatcher and Reagan and said "give us your f**king money" he went on tv and said it to everyone. if Bono and Geldolf really want to make difference they should go onto the streets and get thousand of people involved.

Arsing around drinking champange with a war criminal like Putin and thinking the G8 are going to listen to some git in a leather jacket and shades about debt relief is vanity of the highest order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arsing around drinking champange with a war criminal like Putin and thinking the G8 are going to listen to some git in a leather jacket and shades about debt relief is vanity of the highest order.

ok i see where your coming from, your never going to be happy no matter what he does or what I say so ill leave it like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Sleepy
    It's really just typical of the Irish begrudgery that has you hypocrites having a go at Bono.

Yeah, I agree with that sentiment.

I'm totally with Lemming and Sleepy on this one.

For starters, what Bono pays in tax, has nothing to do with the very *real* lengths the man is seen to go to towards debt relief. Debt relief will fix double digit percentages of African and sub Saharan African problems, by allowing the nations to spend their money on themselves, as opposed to paying the interest, on the interest, on the interest of a loan that was taken out fourty years ago, back.

It's complete madness, with millions of people living on the edge of starvation, with wars for the scant resources left *after* paying the crippeling debt, drought and now Aids plauging Africa, to persecute the few in Western society who try to bridge the gap of the illusions the media paints for us.

If it were not for people like Bono, forcing reality onto people who mindlessly sit in front of the TV, being worried about Max Factor, L'Oreal and exactly how *firm* that magic cream for *people with curves* would make their bottom, there wouldn't even be the *slight* amount of public support for debt relief as there is right now.

It's *utterly* typical of the Irish repressive, mealy mouthed, ignorant begrudgery to start a thread which whinges about *BONO* when the thread should be whinging about the *LACK OF ACTION ON DEBT RELIEF*.

That's the issue, that's what matters.

Bertiebowl, get some sort of clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

How dare people insult bono. He is a great ambassador for this country hes done more to alleviate 3rd world debt than most governments put together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by pogcica
    Bono has become an unelected politicion and has been corupted by the power hungry elite.
    he has lain down with the wolves and become one.

He should have stuck to music or ran for a council seat
    either one would have given him more credibility than lecturing from his pulpit

The guys a clown!
    The road hes going down is only legitimising US/big business interests which he courts on his crusade in the hope of converting them and thus saving Africa and the aids riddled countries of the third world in general.
    Standing beside these guys while they pose for the pictures with smiling faces and promises of donated millions and the wiping of debts is merely giving them a sympathetic public face while they continue to rape the developing world behind closed doors.
    His hearts in the right place Id say but they way hes conducting his campaign will cause more harm than good in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Any time I have met Bono he has been a genuinely nice individual, and everyone I know who has met him says the same. He freely admits himself that when he's playing the part of "arsehole rock star" he is a loudmouth arsehole - equally, he doesn't apologise for it and neither should he.

And no, showing up at the G8 summit or on TV with Putin is not an indication of having sold out for publicity - it is an example of the "gentrification" if you like of issues like debt relief and globalisation. Proof:
    1: World leaders are prepared to MEET the guy and appear on TV with him in the context of debt relief. If the issue were being driven by the sort of Wombles and Swampys who turn up at reclaim the streets bullsh!t rallys do you think they'd be taken seriously? No.
    2: Nothing gets changed unless it's in the interests of the status quo to change it. Particularly where money is concerned. The money brokers will not just "let go" of the debt because - important point here - it IS THEIR money. Third world governments did borrow the money under certain conditions, and knew what they were getting into. We're not talking Del Boy pressuring pensioners into buying life insurance door to door here. Only if the money brokers can be persuaded that dropping the debt is to their advantage will they do it. Morality has little to do with it and again you forget - if morality had a lot to do with it the wonderful dictators of Africa wouldn't have spent all those millions on staging rebellions in each other's countries - they'd have spent it improving the lives of their own people.
    lol relax,it was more of a suggestive statement,it is my opinion and thats how i expressed it but at least you got that,a personal fortune is now a measure of brain power? lol shall i compile a list for you?

It's a better indication of brain power than your incoherent ramblings, idiot boy.

lol i burned u fool dont mess wid d best lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cleareyed

a personal fortune is now a measure of brain power? lol

What is with irish begrudgery? Why can't the ability to create a personal fortune be regarded as a manifestation of intelligence? Because the author of this inane and juvenile post hasn't got that sort of intelligence? Bono has been part of an Irish band that has conquered the world. He has used the fame that followed for good. Well done. Maybe it would have been better if he got 500+ points in the Leaving and studied veterinary and spent his life with his hand up cows arses. For f*cks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by cleareyed
    Why can't the ability to create a personal fortune be regarded as a manifestation of intelligence?
    Bank robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cleareyed

Bank robbery isn't the creation of a personal fortune. Its taking other people's creativity by force or fraud. Anyway didn't you see Heat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by cleareyed
    Bank robbery isn't the creation of a personal fortune. Its taking other people's creativity by force or fraud.
    There are those that, when given this argument, would point to Microsoft and remind you that there's often a thin line between "good business sense" and "highway robbery"....

Advertisement