Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Ireland. What do you want most?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by L5
    Another option would be better contention rates, maybe 24:1 for residential users

You can get that, its what I'm on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Access. Plain and simple. I just want the option of being to get broadband. It will be next March, I am told, before I can get into the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

It will be next March,

Where are you located ?

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Next year for me if I'm lucky, but probably never.

In an ideal world (one where I will ever be able to get BB :p) lower pings (interleaving off), higher caps and better speeds (2MB or higher would be nice).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by jbkenn
    Where are you located ?

Enfield, Co. Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

It would be nice just to have BB available in my area. Really don’t care what cost as long as it worked.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

jbkenn, anything on the Carrigtwohill exchange in cork?

cant for the life of me tell why its not been upgraded already, even has one of the main ida complexes in ireland with many others factorys/residences around it, and well enough population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 P45

Broadband in my area gets my vote. I'll be six foot under before it arrives, too... lost hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

P45,

If you put where you are 'located', town or local telephone exchange name. Then jbkenn - might be able to give you some idea when your area telephone exchange will be enabled for Broadband ?. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 P45

Originally posted by Paddy20
    P45,

If you put where you are 'located', town or local telephone exchange name. Then jbkenn - might be able to give you some idea when your area telephone exchange will be enabled for Broadband ?. ;)

Worth a shot, Paddy20. :D

jbkenn,
    Any ideas if, or when, Derrinturn (Carbury Exchange) will be BB enabled? I've a solid ISDN connection atm... but BB would sure make me a lot happier.

Cheers,
    P45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

So other than people who want their exchanges to be upgraded right now, most people want a speed increase. Hopefully someone who can give us this has seen this thread :)

JBKENN, ,

Re: Broadband for Ballybofey.

Well, seems you were correct in stating that Broadband would be enabled in Ballybofey on 26/06/2004.

On that date our phone lines were 'not working' for a few hours.

Now, my UTV Clicksilver Broadband availability checker for my exchange number has confirmed that Broadband is available in my area. Must get my line suitability checked out now :) .

Magico, and many thanks to you, once again.

Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Way to go Paddy20, I will pass your thanks on to the person who supplied the info.

Info on Exchanges to be enabled during July

Ardee Co. Louth
    Bantry Co. Cork
    Mitchelstown Co. Cork
    Castleblayney Co. Monaghan
    Donabate Co. Dublin
    Charleville Co. Cork

Sorry P45 no info on Carberry

jbkenn

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jbkenn I am keeping an eye out for information on Collon Co Louth for friends of mine there - would you know it if has been enabled yet by any chance? thanks in advance for any help you can give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i would have voted for nearly every option if it was a multiple choice poll.

compared to paying €47 for a 16gb, 512 down product (iol bb plus). i could have paid gbp£20 for a 4meg, uncapped product (bulldog).

removing/doubling caps should be the first step imo, followed by a line speed increase (all for no more money than we're paying now... if not for less)
    and utv need to sort out their pings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Devito

imo availability is the most important one, if you dont have bb youl give anything to be connected. all the ohter option are luxurymove.
    unfurtunatly where i live iv got no hope for eircom to make any move, probably ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Originally posted by Dustaz
    A better line test, so perfectly good lines don't fail anymore

See above (broadband in my area). Telcos will be falling over themselvs to pass lines.

you'd think wouldnt you!!!

I can get broadband... my line fails the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by tman
    compared to paying €47 for a 16gb, 512 down product (iol bb plus). i could have paid gbp£20 for a 4meg, uncapped product (bulldog).

If you live within a km or so of one of a handful of exchanges in London. Isn't it dropped to 1mbit from 8am to 6pm aswell?

The point is taken, but it's worth pointing ^ out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

well i suppose ill put my 2 penneth worth in

What do i want the most out of Broadband in ireland

Plain and simple one word answer

BROADBAND

Says it all really

Shin

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Broadband in Ireland. What do I want most?

I want to see an end to the apparent belief that "broadband" is a synonym for "ADSL on an Eircom phoneline." I would have thought that - of all places - the IrelandOffline board would be the last place that people would buy Eircom's propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Folks, Eircom is not broadband-enabling Ireland. There are vast swathes of the countryside (and, apparently, chunks of the cities too) that will never, ever get the remotest sniff of ADSL. If we want broadband, we need to start thinking outside the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What can we do then? Wireless is often too expensive(at least for me).Im connected to the Drogheda exchange but I fail the test...:mad: A form of DSL is the cheapest, easiest option

Originally posted by To_be_confirmed
    ... I fail the test... DSL is the ... easiest option
    :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The above reminds me of a famous critic who said "this book should not be put down, it should be flung across the room" or summat like that.The publishing company put "This book should not be put down..." on the back of that book and wrote the critic's name underneath it. S/he sued the publishing company for liabel and lost:rolleyes:

Cheapest is the more important word in that clause:)

Originally posted by To_be_confirmed
    Cheapest is the more important word in that clause:)
    "Fail" is the most important word in the post. Cheap broadband you can't access is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Edit: by the way, don't be too quick to assume that DSL is the cheapest option: remember that at the end of the day, Eircom control that market. Knockmore's network provides access to its subscribers at the same monthly cost as the cheapest DSL provider, but with higher speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

What'd really speed things up is if the last mile was handed over to an independant body so that eircom are no longer able to have complete control over the market.

Truckle,

Damn right you are. Maybe IrelandOffline might consider that as their next main objective. In view of past achievements, such as the great flat-rate & broadband campaigns.

Which I believe we would still be dreaming about having, but for IOFFL's gallant efforts.

N.B. Truckle, That's a brilliant piece of artwork that has suddenly appeared above. Now how do I print it out Hmmm.... Bloody hell, it's vanished ?... WTF :confused:

Advertisement