Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 'admits overcharging for roaming calls'

Options
  • 18-06-2004 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Hot on the heels of O2's overcharge cock-up:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/06/18/story152898.html

It's true they have already credited accounts though. I was away exactly between those dates, and I checked my online yoke, and my total for this month has dropped by €5.

Sweet.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

scum bags
    like they don't charge enough already!
    I spent over 40 euro in no time flat on one phone call and a few texts over that time period while in Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    scum bags
    like they don't charge enough already!
    I spent over 40 euro in no time flat on one phone call and a few texts over that time period while in Italy

Bit harsh really. They made a mistake, admitted it openly and corrected it.. What more can you ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

i dont think its harsh at all,while in spain awhile back my mam rang to say how we getting on etc from her house phone and my credit ran out...hate when that happens.thought from a house phone the mainline gets charged only?...Sure arent we all in europe now so why do we have to pay roaming charges....Vodafone making a mint from us......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Those charges also go to the network you're roaming with, so it's not totally Vodafone ripping you off.

To be honest you're a slave to your mobile if you bring it abroad with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Originally posted by mad m
    thought from a house phone the mainline gets charged only?...
    What made you think that? Why would the foreign network care where the call is coming from? You are still using their network so they will still charge.

If you want better value roaming on Pre-Pay check out Meteor. But you will have to register a credit card to use roaming with them.

Meteor:
    SMS to Ireland: 30cent, SMS to other country: 36cent (These apply regardless of where you are in the world)
    Incoming calls: 45cent/min (most of Europe, and beyond)(regardless of network used)

Vodafone:
    SMS: 49c using a Vodafone network, 65c using other network
    Incoming calls:
    -UK: 59c/min using a Vodafone network, €1.59/min using other net
    -Europe: 99c/min using a Vodafone network, 1.59/min using other net

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 knicker

Originally posted by mad m
    i dont think its harsh at all,while in spain awhile back my mam rang to say how we getting on etc from her house phone and my credit ran out...hate when that happens.thought from a house phone the mainline gets charged only?...Sure arent we all in europe now so why do we have to pay roaming charges....Vodafone making a mint from us......

Um, it has nothing to do with the fact that we are in Europe or even outside the country. It has to do with the fact that you are making calls across networks. i.e. Between different commercial networks. Each network charges the other for transit...

Similarly, you pay extra to post mail to other countries and to transfer money between banks or use other banks ATMs.

It always baffles me that people can't equate telco to other services they use on a daily basis!

Advertisement