Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork restaurant advice

• 18-06-2004 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

It's the gf's birthday this weekend and I want to take her out for a meal on Sunday night....except I'm not in Cork that often and don't know any of the restaurants....

Can anyone give me any advice on a good restaurant....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Does it have to be in the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Yeah city would be easier from a transport point of view as there will most likely be wine consumed....we'll be based in Wilton so anywhere within a reasonable distance for a taxi would be ok too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Greenes Restaurant on Macurtain Street is good.

Jacobs on the Mall (on South Mall) is great too but a bit expensive. Best wine selection in Cork if not a lot of Ireland.

The Ivory Tower on Princess Street is the best place around. 50 quid a head but the food is amazing, though you have to like rich exotic food.

Ecos in Douglas is good too if a little cramped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you fancy Thai, then the Ruen Thai over Boots on Patricks Street is excellent. In fact, I'm taking my boyfriend there for his birthday next week, as we haven't been there in ages.

As said before the Ivory Tower is just stunning. At E50 a head, it's kind of cheap for the quality of food that you will get, but it can take hours for the meal as everything is cooked to order in a tiny kitchen. And it is rich

As you're near Wilton, the Wylam chinese across from the Crow's Nest in Victoria Cross is quite good.

Tao Tao's Chinese on Princes Street ia a very good chinese, but at the expensive end of the scale. Also a good chinese, but more traditional is the Ambassador on Cook's Street, but be advised to book ahead there.

Jacques on Phoenix Street is also very good.

If you're vegetarian, or would fancy such a meal, then the Cafe Paradiso on the Western Road, across from Jury's is just brilliant. The last time I ate there, and I'm not vegetarian, I had to be rolled home. Brilliant food, I can't praise it enough.

I think the standard of Italian restaurants in Cork is poor enough, but I've heard that Pirendellis on McCurtain Street is good.

For Indian, I'd recommend the Bombay Palace on Marlboro Street (I think). Also good is the Eastern Tandoori across from the Opera House.

Finally for bistro type food, I'd recommend Proby's, just below the Cathedral, across the river from the Beamish Brewery.

Whatever you chose, enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Greenes Restaurant - Now Gone

Jacobs on the Mall - Tasty but Expensive

The Ivory Tower on Princess Street - Renowned for its length of meals 3+ Hours but also its high cases of food poisoning

Ecos in Douglas - Very Tasty

Ruen Thai - Very Nice

Wylam - Typical Chineese

Tao Tao's - Dont know it

Ambassador - Above Average Chineese

Jacques - Renowned for excellent food but again high food poisoning rate

Cafe Paradiso - Brilliant but only for the adventurous

I think the standard of Italian restaurants in Cork is poor enough - True but I think it is Ireland in general.

Bombay Palace - Good
    Eastern Tandoori - Very good

Proby's - Mixed reviews any time I ate there it was good.

Cork County - Ballymaloe is top class.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys....some of the suggestions there are places I've heard her mention....

Is there any particular type of cuisine that she would prefer?

Not really bothered about what type of food....just want to find a good place....

We have, in the past, eaten in the Eastern Tandoori, Aroma, some chinese place on Patrick's street, Amicus, il Padrino and several others I can't think of now....

There's one place just off Oliver Plunkett St. that she heard was supposed to be very good (I think there may have been a hint there somewhere ;) )....the building looks a bit rough on the outside but has several bridgestone awards....does anyone know it and if it's any good?

That sounds like the Ivory Tower. I've eaten there a few times and it's just excellent. There are sample menus next to the door, so you can check out what's typically on offer. Find the O'Briens on Oliver Plunkett Street, and the restaurant is overhead with the entrance on the side street down by O'Briens.

The food is rich and it will take the bones of 2-3 hours for dinner, but god, it is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Is there any place that offers say dancing after a meal or has like has a piano player while you eat your meal. I quite like the Ambassador and the Wylam, the Satay Chicken starter in teh latter is quite teh nice.
    Could anyone tell me what Cafe Mexicana is like?

• Advertisement

I think that the Italian restaurant in the Triskel Arts Centre turns into a bar/late club after serving food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Mexicana is nice nyom nyom. Service is slow and don't let them seat you upstairs, it's like dinner in an attic. Food is good. Staff are nice.

Well I tried to book both Proby's and the Ivory Tower but it seems neither do Sunday evenings so I went with the Ruen Thai....it was excellent and went down a treat....only gripe I'd have is the desserts are those pre-packed portion yokes and I don't like them....they did have ice-cream as well so I had some of that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Proby's is ****e anyway, you're lucky.

I had a work lunch in Proby's about a week ago and thought that it was quite nice. Not superb, but good. They actually cooked my steak the way I asked. (Rare). Quite an odd occurence in an Irish restaurant.

Mexicana is quite good. Velly nice indeed. They used to have a cheap lunch menu as well Monday to Thursday.

I'm heading to the Ruen Thai now Tuesday night, and I'm quite looking forward to it

Advertisement