Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Himem.sys

Options
  • 18-06-2004 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭

HELP! Hopefully someone can help! I installed an old version of norton onto my Vaio laptop the other day and only restarted it yesterday. I have done 2 full scans of the system before shutting down, didnt find anything, now when ive restarted it, its saying cannot find program (norton boot scan) then beeps at me and says cannot find himem.sys & sits at the command prompt.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Boot with a floppy and copy the himem.sys into your HD when pc starts it will update it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

the problem is i dont have a boot disk. im using win 98 and my disk decided to fall apart on me about a month ago, and I never got around re doing one! If i wanted to install win2k, could I jsut pop in that CD and upgrade my windows?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if windows is falling apart you can't up grade it - even if you had a valid license (probably worth as much as a win98 pc) you would just end up inheriting the problems.

when PC starts press F8 - choose safe mode command prompt only

then dir himem.* /s and it should it
    then copy it to c:\windows (and /or ) c:\

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

thanks for your help. Luckily all I need to do is completly power off the comp (not jsut restart it) and it works fine! Strange one that!

Advertisement