Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermaltake silent boost opinions

Options
  • 18-06-2004 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hi

Has anyone got experience of the Thermaltake silent boost cooler?
    Will be using it for Athlon 64 @2GHz so oveclocking not a concern, just want easy installation & quietness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Try the Zalman 7000alcu, has to be one of the best coolers and also extremely quiet. Im not a thermaltake fan TBH, ive had a few of there "silent" or "quiet" heatsinks and there anything but quiet. Some of the noiseiest things ive ever heard.......... the volcano7 was louder than 7 case fans on full speed.

Silent boost isint supposed to be that bad TBH, id definetly stick with zalman if possible!!

www.hitide.ie (cheap delivery)
    www.jes-computer.de (cheaper price, more expensive delivery)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Thanks COL

I am going for a Sonata case so i wasnt sure if the Zalman would fit. The Thermaltake has a claimed rating of 20 dba.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Zalman 7000alcu is a kick ass cooler and damm quite to boot. But check the zalman site to see if it will fit your mobo as it wont fix on certain makes and models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Not exactly on topic.... but I just wanted to know about the HSF that comes with retail versions of the P4 2.8GHZ (Probably Northwood... maybe Prescott) is ok, or should I replace it with something a little more efficient? Like silverside, I'm building a system around the sonata case, so quietness is a big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I am going for a Sonata case so i wasnt sure if the Zalman would fit. The Thermaltake has a claimed rating of 20 dba.

I know that the TT isint rated that badly from some of the reviews but it wont be as quiet as the zalman and TBH when your going for the sonata your going to hear most things. Ie you will hear a NB fan / GFX fan and after there silenced your hard disk (although its much quieter in the sonata due to rubber grommets they use).

Your starting on the right track, if you want to be really happy id go with the zalman, a passive NB cooler, and mabye a zalman/artic cooler for the GFX card ............ ohh and mabye samsung / seagate hard disk. And your talkin among the quietest computers arround. Sonata is a great choice !!
    Like silverside, I'm building a system around the sonata case, so quietness is a big factor.

Then your not going to like the stock cooler that much. Same advise as above........ although if you dont want to go that extreme then the TT Silent boost is a good idea.

PS just so ye know im talkin extreme quietness, id consider my water cooling setup only pretty quiet.......... Im pretty sure ye would be happy with even that level (you barely know its running when you enter the room , sitting down beside it you notice it but not much (small ammount of music drowns it out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

HiGh, I recently invested in the metioned TT slient boost hsf. I find it to be a nice quiet fan, you dont notice 20 Dba when your playin a game or chillin just listening to some music as COL_LOKI says. My Cpu is a Athlon barton 2.167ghz running temp is 35c, max load is 40 - 42c not bad eh.

My last hsf was a global win cak38 37Dba! now that was loud compared to the slient boost, i dont know how i put up with it for so long (2.5yrs) or there abouts. :f

overall its a good fan but you will probably find something better if you shop around :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah I use the Thermaltake Silent boast fan on an AMD 64 3400 2.2ghz. Its decent enough but as the others mentioned the Zalman fan is the one to go for. Its not particularly loud and it keeps the temps at around 40 degrees idile and around 50 degrees under load. The Zalman fan which I intend to replace this heatskin/fan with would be quiter and run cpu temps cooler. To be honest if your not doing overclocking (which I intend to do hence the upgrade)then the Silent Boast is fine and alot cheaper than the Zalman which is the best AMD 64 cooler I have heard about. If your interested I will probably be selling off my Silent Boost shortly. If interested I will post on the for sales forum

Advertisement