Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royston - Gis a Job

Options
  • 18-06-2004 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Will Royston be trawling through Irishjobs.ie soon.
    He is unlikely to be re-elected Lord Mayor now that Sinn Fein / Labour have taken over the City Council. He bombed in the MEP elections and he didn't run in the local elections?
    Any bets he will be recommended by Fianna Fail to become a Senator!!
    thegills

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Wonder would he struggle in a job interview? Actually on second thoughts he might just not turn up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

he could drive a taxi ....surely

M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

There is a large section of FF, Aherne in particular, who aren't too fond of him by all accounts. SO that cheesy grin could be on posters near you advertising washing up liquid or tooth paste some time soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Muck
    Nah. No insurer is likely to cover him when the risk of it being hijacked by terrorists is so high!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Originally posted by ixoy
    Nah. No insurer is likely to cover him when the risk of it being hijacked by terrorists is so high!

In fact he might just join Sinn Fein to take revenge on those loyalists that kidnapped his da!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gom
    In fact he might just join Sinn Fein to take revenge on those loyalists that kidnapped his da!

Actually just been listening to five seven live on radio one and they've uncovered a newspaper report from the time of the Dublin bombings that names Roystons Da as a taxi driver who was hi jacked at gunpoint.
    I t gives Roystons old home address too.
    So he wasnt telling porkies.

He said he didn't contact the enquiry as his DA was dead and that all he had was second hand information told to him as a child.
    T'was a bit naive of him not to at least contact the inquiry to say that but at least he didn't make the whole story up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

Originally posted by ixoy

Beat me to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Muck

M

According to this mornings examiner, Roystons story with regards to his fathers taxi is now backed up by 1974 newspaper reports.

Will he get an apology from those who doubted this story?

This is an example of how dirty politics has got in this country and that negative campaigning has finally arrived on these shores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Cork
    Will he get an apology from those who doubted this story?

Not from me he won't , even though he was actually telling the truth as it turns out. Nor will I get into his taxi either :(

Royston represents nobody but Royston and never will.

N

He was subjected to a vicious negative personal campaign.

I think that we need a Press Council in this country. The behaviour by some of our media during this story was of the gutter press standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

At the moment our friend Royston is probably licking his wounds after a severe battering in the European elections.

But I would say he will surface again. He will tap into the large crony network
    of Fianna Fail and get himself a well paid (but lowkey) job with some
    inefficient semi-state -where no doubt he will reap more destruction and annoy more people with his smug little atitude.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

have there been any news on police rather than newspaper reports from the time to say that he was telling the truth? if the media can spin things now and tell lies, why couldnt they then?

I think his arrogance has cost him heavily, even if it is 100% true, he went in the old fashioned FF way, bull headed and un-flinching, without knowing for sure what he was saying. He was Ahern's apprentice, but he's had a few pops at Ahern and his boys now for press coverage, which won't do him any good... me thinks hes quickly burning his bridges for short term goals.

Flogen

Royston got unfairly treated by the media about the Dublin & Monaghan story.

Royston has now been proven correct. Storys in todays Irish Times and Examiner point this out.

Last weeks election was a victory for negative campaigning. Parties with very few policies slamming their opposition for cheap tabloid sound bytes.

Royston has been vendicated. He has nothing to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Royston got unfairly treated by the media about the Dublin & Monaghan story.

Royston has now been proven correct. Storys in todays Irish Times and Examiner point this out.

I don't know Cork. How can we be certain these reports are genuine? I don't think I can trust the media at all after this outrage.

Firstly, I don't like negative campaigning. We witnessed it during the local elections.

I personally like programmes such as "Agenda" on TV3. It is an opportunity to see what policies are being offered.

But overall - media standards have dropped. Royston was indeed wronged with regards this story. He will be back.

From what I've heard, cork, its only been news reports from the time to back him up, not police information, which I would trust much more than a newspaper. Who's to say the newspaper didn't lie or embelish the truth? And who's to say (and no disrespect intended to Mr Brady's late father), that Da Brady wasn't telling porkies in the first place, maybe HE made the link all by himself and told the newspapers about it.

And he has done plenty more to tarnish his image besides this event, this was just the last nail in his coffin. His campaign consisted of him slagging off Bertie Ahern, the City Council and anyone else, while not turning up anywhere with his policies and stances. I still dont know ONE policy of his, all I know is that he wants a fresh start for Dublin, and has 'drive', whatever thats supposed to mean.

And did he even go onto Agenda during the election?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

...never mind 'Taxigate', his use of the Mayoral Coach and Horses when he got married at a cost of some €10,000 to the Irish taxi, sorry, tax payer was enough to mark his cards election wise.

Isn't Karma wonderful?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

...and besides, he's not my Mayor, I never voted for him.

Mayoral appointments, and even dare I say it, the Presidency, are a joke in this country, treated more like cushy-numbers by the polititions who elect each other in.

Why can't we be more of a 'true' Republic like France, or the States, where as well as mayors, most high-ranking public officials such as police chiefs are voted for by the public.

But overall - media standards have dropped. Royston was indeed wronged with regards this story. He will be back.

I'm still not sure Cork. We've only got the unreliable media (standards have dropped after all) to back up Royston on this. Who to believe??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Last weeks election was a victory for negative campaigning. Parties with very few policies slamming their opposition for cheap tabloid sound bytes.

What were all of Roysotn's wonderful policies then?

• Advertisement

What were all of Roysotn's wonderful policies then?

I already pointed this out that Royston stood as a FF canidate. Hewas not an independent. FF has always been a PRO EU party unlike say the UKip, Conversative or SF partys.

FF delivered on obtaining maximum structural & cohesion funds for this country.

The EU Presidency has delivered a constitution that will now be blueprint for the EU.

FF has a superb record on EU metters.

Now, back to Royston. He was been viciously attacked by our media and he has now been vendicated.

The media completely failed to get their facts before launching unfounded personal attacks on an election canidate. There is a need for a Press Council to protect people aganist media standards that have reached gutter level.

Now, back to Royston. He was been viciously attacked by our media and he has now been vendicated.

The media completely failed to get their facts before launching unfounded personal attacks on an election canidate. There is a need for a Press Council to protect people aganist media standards that have reached gutter level.

But how do we know Cork. If some sections of media "failed to get their facts before lauching unfounded personal attacks" on Royston, how are we to know that this vindication you speak of is genuine. Couldn't these media reports be unfounded?

You either trust the media Cork, or you don't.

Or is this another case of "the truth according to FF"?

FF has always been a PRO EU party unlike say the UKip, Conversative or SF partys.

SF are pro-EU Cork, stop misrepresenting their policies. Disagreement with the development of the EU is healthy and democratic. It does not mean you are anti-EU. You do realise there are valid alternatives to the FF world view, don't you?

Where do Sinn Fein demand Ireland's withdrawal from the EU?

The standard of posting on this message board has gone down in my opinion. Certain posters have failed to do their research before making unfounded allegations against a political party with a growing electoral base in the republic (and thats the real cause of your concern Cork, ain't it?) Maybe we need a Boards Council to protect people against boards standards that have reached gutter level...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Originally posted by thegills
    He is unlikely to be re-elected Lord Mayor now that Sinn Fein / Labour have taken over the City Council. He bombed in the MEP elections and he didn't run in the local elections?

It's not unlikely that he'll be relected Mayor, it's impossible. As you say he didn't run for the council again and you have to be a councillor to be elected mayor.

SF are pro-EU Cork, stop misrepresenting their policies.

Could you name one EU treaty that they supported?

Even the UK Converative party has supported EU treatys. But, name the treatys that those in SF/IRA have supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Originally posted by thegills

It's not unlikely that he'll be relected Mayor, it's impossible. As you say he didn't run for the council again and you have to be a councillor to be elected mayor.

I already pointed this out that Royston stood as a FF canidate. Hewas not an independent. FF has always been a PRO EU party unlike say the UKip, Conversative or SF partys.

ok, he's not an independant... I figured that, and he's pro EU, ok, but what did he plan to do besides say the EU is great?
    FF delivered on obtaining maximum structural & cohesion funds for this country.

How? The EU's general policy is to help out its smaller or poorer members by giving funds to build them up, if it was FG or Lab or SF or me on my own, we still would have gotten them, and we'd still be coming towards the end of their influx. And how is it a policy for your party to have done something in the past? What are his own policies for the future?
    The EU Presidency has delivered a constitution that will now be blueprint for the EU.

Yes it has, and kudos to them all. However, and not to take away from Bertie and his boys, it had to be done or else the EU would look like a joke that couldnt agree on its own basic structure. Also, thats not a policy concerning MEP's, just the leaders of EU countries.
    FF has a superb record on EU metters.

Does it? And what did Royston plan to do to personally further that 'superb record'?

Rather than just tell everyone how great you think FF are, and how vilified Royston was, why dont you answer the questions that are made in responce to your stance? How can you pick and choose when its right to trust the media? How do we know Roystons dad wasnt telling lies too, or the media were telling lies in the first place? How come there are still no official connections made by police regarding the taxi claim? How should Royston be treated when he dodges public appearances, tells no-one his policy and pulls publicity stunts like bad mouth Bertie and others, or insults the city council conveniently as he finishes his Mayoral term and just as he announces his plan to run for MEP?

He got what he deserved. He ran a campaign that was all loud mouth PR with no policy, no accountability and no researching, and the public saw through it. So long Royston

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    , if it was FG or Lab or SF or me on my own, we still would have gotten them, and we'd still be coming towards the end of their influx.
    Flogen

No, the Cohesion funds were one of Alberts ideas. Together with Spain and Potugal - these funds came into existnce before monetary union.

Albert also achieved massive increases in structural funds.

The SDLP also saw the benefits of EU membership. The SDLP saw the benefits how EU membership could help a devided society.

John Hume always believed in the EU. Much credit to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I already pointed this out that Royston stood as a FF canidate. Hewas not an independent.
    So he's a clone, a pawn, incapable of independent thought?

• Advertisement

No, the Cohesion funds were one of Alberts ideas. Together with Spain and Potugal - these funds came into existnce before monetary union.

Was this when he was Taoiseach, or before?

Advertisement