Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playable pings

Options
  • 18-06-2004 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Im on 56k at the moment, with a ping of around 250 and i find the sort of lag i get is bullets dont hit on time etc etc. But with BB you have no lag, so what sort of pings do you need to have to have no lag at all? and will any bb service provide these sort of pings? Sorry if it has been asked before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

my eircom bb provides pings of about 20-30ms on irish servers for battlefield and i find thats absolutetly fine, similarly i have no issues with pings of up to 50ms on english servers.

actually i get more lag from the likes of punkbuster when it decides to connect to the master server and when i only have half a gig of memory in the system

data

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

ping != lag

The connection itself is being choked so it lags for a second to keep up.

Broadband will have a bigger pipe, so more data can get through. The pings are a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

PLayable pings differ from game to game. It all depends on the netcode.
    As has been said lower pings are great but if you are getting lagged (choked) the whole time its pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

120 or above is unplayable ie you at a disadvantage to others a noticeable one.
    Anything les is playable but some games have worse netcode than others so 120 is a general number .

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

55 ms, same as my speed 55 kb

:(

thats counter strike, on european servers.
    irish = 30-40

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

20ms to 35ms on irish server, some english servers are almost as good such as axia, 4u-servers.co.uk and some others were pings of 28-38ms are possible ingame, the majority of english servers such as jolt and uk2 give 37ms to 55ms ingame so they are all perfectly playable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i play Halo on a ping of 200 grand most of the time again depends on server UT 2004 has great net code plays on 33.k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by Placebo
    55 ms, same as my speed 55 kb

:(

thats counter strike, on european servers.
    irish = 30-40

you get 55K out of a 56k modem WOW! you live like 5 metres from the exchange or sumat? i only mage 45.2k - 46.6k:mad: roll on cheap bb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'm pretty sure he never said he had a 56k modem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i think he means a ping of 55ms which equals his good download speed of 55k/sec, obviously he is upset coz his ping shouldnt be a similar number to his download speed which shouldnt be the case, his ping should be 25ms - 45ms to Irish and most uk servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

so many clueless comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

recently...

I found an old home camera tape of mine so i threw it on to find myself in my younger years messing with our family home video camera (usual mooners in negative etc) but at one point i started playing CS on my old computer. It was beta 3 at the time (or beta 4) and i was surprised to notice that i played the game at a constant ping of 300 (nowadays i have it down to 80) but what shocked me more was that i was well able to play and i was part of the clan (hence my friend was filming my clan match as some advert for my sex appeal or something????) but wha really p*sses me off is that i seem to be doing better in that 300 ping in an american server then i do today in most european servers, i dont get triple kills (in under 2 seconds) in siege no more :( [prob cause no one plays siege no more and nobody walk in a straight line.]

just a interesting (or not) story to add to throw the whole term PLAYABLE PING...into doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

While i lived in the USA, i had around a 20-100 ping to any Medal of Honor US server, and found all to be great with no slowdown what so ever even on 32 people servers. That was a cable internet connection (2mb). My original intention was to find out how ADSL can cope with common day games. But if you get a 30-50 ping to Jolt or any other UK servers im sure lag wont be an issue with most games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Unless the server is crap then everyone lags regardless of ping as server aint pereforming well.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thing is a 300ping a few years ago wasnt all that much worse than a lot of people had. I had a ping of about 250 to UK (as i said) and cos most people in the UK were modemers too it wasnt too bad. If i were to try it today (even tho im much better at the game now) id get absolutel waisted :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Must bring my PC to the office over the weekend, I think the ping was something lese then 20 playing BFV on navan. (Still haven’t got around to connecting the house and office :dunno:)

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~spaz/hldata/eqx.htm

Check out those fantastic pings from clan matchs back in 1999

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Originally posted by Gonzo
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~spaz/hldata/eqx.htm

Check out those fantastic pings from clan matchs back in 1999

haha, those were the days alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think he means a ping of 55ms which equals his good download speed of 55k/sec, obviously he is upset coz his ping shouldnt be a similar number to his download speed which shouldnt be the case, his ping should be 25ms - 45ms to Irish and most uk servers.

binG0 !
    thats for clarifying !

Advertisement