Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first Modding project...

Options
  • 18-06-2004 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

This is my new project i've just started, i'll keep posting updates as I go along... Im new to this pc modding so let me know what ya'll think.

Case: It's an old desktop case, I wanted something different from a tower so decide to go back to a desktop. I've cut 1 x 120mm hole for a fan on the side, an A4 size hole for a mesh/stencil on the front and gutted the insides(see pic) I plan to mount the case vertically and attach the cd rom drive to the outside leaving the inside quite empty. The hard drives will be mounted on the bottom of the case with air from the fan blowing over them to keep them cool. I plan to mod my power supply and swap the 80mm fan for a 120mm one. I also plan to get a watercooling installed(still to decide on the kit). It's gonna be paint same blue as keyboard. I'll post more pics of how its gonna look, my description aint the best

Keyboards + Mouse: I've taken apart my keyboard n mouse and repainted them. They're a microsoft wireless joby. I aint fin the mouse yet so posted pics of the keyboard. I dismantled it completely and sanded it down, gave it 3 coats of plastic primer, another light sand. 4 coats of paint and 6-8 coats of laquer(lost count!!)... The finish is perfect and what I wanted but i'm not sure bout the orange, might change it to white... Plan to replace the Microsoft sticker with a Roscosoft one. Only problems I had was keys sticking when I replace them, loosened up after a bit of typing and the orange paint was from plasti-cote and i found it hard to work with, it's very very runny unlike the car paint which is great to work with.

Let me know what u think..

Pics:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Man the keyboard is shocking!!

Most likely gonna change the orange to white... Just workin on the mouse earlier and did it white n blue n it looks much better. Anyways, im off for some scoops. I'll be damned if im sitting in spraying a mouse on a fri night!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

best of luck with it

Mouse:

Plan was to spray it white n blue... Which i did. The white paint reacted with the undercoat and smudged off n the buttons r jamed n wont click. Suppose it gives me a reason to buy a new mouse :rolleyes:

Lesson learned is to try ur best to get paint from the same manufacturer n not to mix n match. Have to get thinners to strip the orange of the keyboard to respray it. Aint easy this modding thing...

• Advertisement

Case update:

Finished cutting up the case so primed it n started spraying. Near finished the inside of the case. Turned the Psu round so the vents r facing the outside of the case instead of facing the cpu. Located position for HDs n applied silicone sealer to HD mount to eliminate Vibrations.

mouse i've decide to get

http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=159_36&products_id=15540&osCsid=7052fabe73b21e6783c8dfad501f5fee

Internal case pic:

Side pic showing 120mm fan hole. front cut out and psu vent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Good mouse! - please don't do anything to it!, leave it as is it's fine as it is;).

I wont... Its gotton some good reviews n its alread blue. Saves me wastin more money:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Started Spraying the case, on my third can of paint!!! Bleedin expensive work... Ordered most of my new setup.

P4 2.8c
    2 x 256mb pc4000 Adata
    DFI LanParty Pro875B
    Logitech MX510

Hope to get as much as i can out of the 2.8... Lots of research to do into watercooling over the next week before I order a kit on fri(payday!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Nice work so far, fair play with the keyboard id only do that with a nice old one.

The specs for your rig are very nicely planned out i must say. The DFI is able for high FSB, the 2.8C with watercooling should push to 3.6ghz or mabye more, the Ram should have no probs going over 250mhz FSB 1:1 especially when you can put more voltage through it with the DFI (think its up to 3.3v).

Nice...........

If I can get to 3.4/3.6 I'd be well chuffed... Anything over that is a big bonus.

Advertisement