Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Place for Remote Control Cars

• 18-06-2004 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Im not sure if this is the right place but here it goes.

My birthday is coming up and Im keeping an eye out for a remote control car.

I have very little knowledge of this area. Basically I want either a good electric model or a cheap petrol model.

Now I know the likes of Nikko make electric ones that dont last very long before ya have to charge em. Is there any available that last a long time on one charge?

I also am aware that petrol engine RC's are expensive. But what do they start at?
    Any suggestions where in Ireland I could start looking?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Well from my experience stay away from the electic ones, the batteries waste a lot wuicker than they charge.

a good place to start looking for a petrol one if ur in dublin is "the Model Shop", down the end of henry street and turn right, in dublin.

you can buy them loads of places, but they give a very good after sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Cool. Thanks for info. What price would I be lookin at for a basic petrol one? What parts would usually break on them and may need replacing?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I hear that u'd be better off getting one in the UK also. ireland can be expensive in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

I get my bits and pieces for my car in "STARTING GRID" which is in the dun laorghaire shopping centre.The owner, John Tracey, will give you any help or advice you need.I recommend going to him for any advice.http://www.startinggrid.ie

Another good place for getting spare parts is http://www.towerhobbies.com .Its based in the US, but parts are delivered in a few days,and its cheap!!.

Another place would be "BOYZTOYZ" which is out at Kart-City in Santry.They also have a small track beside their shop.http://www.boyztoyz.ie

RC cars are expensive in this country, but bear in mind that if you import from the US or the UK you'll more than likely get stung for import tax and vat, so you'll probably end up paying the same price to import as you would buying here at home.This happened to me buying my car from the US .

Electric cars run for 10 mins with 1 batterey stick, fuel/nitro cars run for 15-20 mins on 1 tank.So while electric cars are cheaper you'll have to buy more baterery packs to keep going.A tin of nitro fuel 2.5l is around €25 and will last for hours.Personally i love nitro cars.They sound better,look better, and can be a lot faster.I'm not too sure on prices but i'd guess around 200-300 for electric and 400-500 for nitro.But you can get special beginner deals for both types which may be cheaper.Shop around!.

As for parts you'll need to replace,well ,the bodyshell will need replacing depending on how much abuse it recieves ,tyre's will ware down so they'll have to be replaced.Aside from these it depends on how much damage you do to the car when you crash.The bodyshell will absorb most of the impact in a crash,but if it doesn't then you may be looking at replacing the suspension and axel setup.The only spare parts that are a must are extra screws ,nuts and bolts.Oh and some superglue can come in handy :D

Hope this helps some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

#1 - Do not be a mug and buy a CEN they are absolutely dreadful. You will spend more time and money fixing them.

#2 RC cars in Ireland ... Overpriced. In most cases it makes alot more sense buying from overseas. BUT this is dependent on how much you are willing to spend.

#3 Decide what aspect of RC you are interested in. You should think about on road or off.

On Road - Boyz Toyz have a track in santry and it isn't a great surface in comparison to the old one. Other then that its car parks and roads. There is a track in St. Annes park but it is more suited to 1/8's.

Off Road - Basically go anywhere !

I have had numerous RC cars and have found HPI to give the most 'Bang per buck'. I currently have a HPI Savage and a HPI RS4-3.

The Savage is a beast and almost indestructible. My mate bought one from Tower hobbies in the past week and including import tax came to little over €500 which is a steal. They are retailing over here for over €800+++.

It is faster then any RC car you could buy over here for €500.

Don't be suckered into the Irish rip off culture and buy a substandard car from an Irish retailer for the same money you could but a decent car from overseas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Mark's Models only recently opened up a part of their shop selling petrol and bettery R/C cars, they're just a turn off the south quays between tara street station and O'Connell bridge, take a look in there.

Tyco make some indestructible ones too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Boyztoyz in Santry used to have a large selection but the last time I was in there (about 9 months ago) they had very few, looked like they were getting rid of the lot. Anyone know if it's still around?

Boyz Toyz are still there. You would be right in saying they have nothing in stock nor are they prepared to get you anything. I think they are only interested in selling the cars. There is a severe lack in the after sales / support side of things.

I personaly have sent HPI emails about this lack of support as they are listed on their site as a 'Shop' .

Boyz Toyz are a joke if you ask me. Stear well clear of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=175202
    There are pics here too.
    >Here i am selling an r/c car for a good price considering all the hop-ups. VeVeX has stated CEN are crap but they are good for beginners,I now have a hpi RS4 and it is a rocket,i dont see how someone could start off one.well anyway its worth taking alook at my ad. see ya there.
    Hakko

good for beginers maybe.

You will definitly learn how to buy parts and how to take the Cen apart after every outing. Personaly id rather buy a good car. You could get a RS4-3 from tower delivered for a few euros more then your asking for your cen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

I agree with VeVeX.I started out with a HPI super nitro rally and the car is still running strong after nearly two years of abuse ;) .Quality counts in the long run!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

well import tax is not an issue from som sites,I recently bought a cen magnum nx for 200euro-279dollars and the shipping was only 20euro + I was charged no import tax so....problem sorted.
    oh ye the site is wonderhobby.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

well import tax is not an issue from som sites,I recently bought a cen magnum nx for 200euro-279dollars and the shipping was only 20euro + I was charged no import tax so....problem sorted.
    oh ye the site is wonderhobby.com

This thread is from nearly 3 years ago :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I know this is a really old thread but i cant find anywhere else to post for this.

Ok so im wondering for a beginer whats the best to buy/avoid? Were to buy? etc any advice you can give thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

theres a forum for this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=486
    if ur in clondalkin, marks models might be the closest to u, they're in greenogue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm going to close this as it's a very old thread and it's in the wrong place. OP - best thing is to start a new thread in the forum guil gave you a link to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement