Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Watts PSU - Power Conenctors - Help :(

Options
  • 18-06-2004 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

1st question do i need to connect BOTH the 4 pin 12v connecter and the atx connecter to the MB to get full mobo power or is that an INSAAAAANE question

Specs
    DFI Ultra Infinity II mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    512 ram 3200 400mhz
    1 modem
    1 firewire
    1 CDROM
    1 20GB HD
    1 PCI graphics card 8MB (was removed breofre installing AGP card)
    New card: 256MB MSI GeForce FX5700

PSU 145 upgraded to 350

Hi everybody, i just built a PC a few days ago using my old PB (surprisingly stable no shap edges and lots of room). My specs are above. I got my new graphics card yesterday (replacing a PCI with 256MB MSI GeForce FX5700, plugged it in, and no go, it wouldnt work, after much work and panic i looked at the bottom of my PSU to my horror it was max output 145Watts. So went along today and got a 350 watt.

Now the graphics card lit up the monitor much to my delight :):) but it only goes to the start of windows (safe mode, start windows normally screen) once i try to go further it just cut the monitor. And watching the leds on the front not much more happens (it doesnt continue to windows). This also occurs if i try to install Linux, it gets to the dos screen of it and no matter which option i choose it cuts out. So this occurs also when the system has heated up to about 115F. It cuts out in the BIOS screen, once it cools down it works again. This is with the case open so its not a cooling problem. I think its still power related, when its in the BIOS the pc health stats push it over the edge i think? AM I CRAZY OR IS IT THE PSU IS STILL THE PROBLEM??????

TRIED AND TESTED: I tried removing the other cards and stuff (cd rom, modem etc) and still to no avail it only goes so far. AM I OUT OF WATTS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

it may be a power issue, put in the old graphics card with just the basics and then see how you get on, I upgraded lately and I barely have enough power, extra fans, leds etc all add to the power uptake, i really should have a 400w psu to cope and if I add anything extra I will have to change,
    this link will be useful to you :
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

1st question do i need to connect BOTH the 4 pin 12v connecter and the atx connecter to the MB to get full mobo power

Generally yea most definetly. If the connector is there for it on the motherboard you SHOULD be giving it some power.

Your post is very confusing so ill try my best to ask a few questions that might help.

1) Very important, what make is your PSU?
    2) Does your computer re-start when it hits windows or does it hang and do nothing?
    3) Are you saying theres a temp problem? What is the temp of the CPU in 'C ? Is the CPU fan spinning and are you 100% the heatsink is fitted the correct way (its easy to make a mistake, make sure the ridge on the socket is lined up with the missing lip on the heatsink)?
    4) Did you use thermal compound?
    5) Was the PC running ok with the PCI GFX card or did you do the upgrade all at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i smell a Qtec.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cmo

Thanks for the replys everybody, it was that damn 4 pin power connector, i had none on my old PSU, or mobo. So i figured well if i plug them both in it will cook it.

I now have the card up and running all working well, thanks again.

Advertisement