Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

john gilles has alzheimer's ?

• 18-06-2004 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

just watching the matches that Gilles has been commentating on iv noticed he can never remember any of the players names apart from some of the most famous ones but even with them he just shouts them out even when someone else is on the ball

now i doubt if RTE would have hired someone like this to do commentating
    perhaps his Alzheimer's has worsened recently and RTE doesn't have the heart to sack him or have already paid him his wages for the torunament:(

but do you realy think its fair for RTE to expect someone with that condition to contunue doing their job

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He is the most pesimistic pundit ever, check him out in the next game, everything is doom and gloom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by tuxx
    just watching the matches that Gilles has been commentating on iv noticed he can never remember any of the players names apart from some of the most famous ones but even with them he just shouts them out even when someone else is on the ball

now i doubt if RTE would have hired someone like this to do commentating
    perhaps his Alzheimer's has worsened recently and RTE doesn't have the heart to sack him or have already paid him his wages for the torunament:(

but do you realy think its fair for RTE to expect someone with that condition to contunue doing their job

It's probably because he can't pronounce the players names! He had awful trouble with the French and Spanish Basque players, he even said he gave up trying to pronounce their names! The guy who commentates with Giles (no idea of his name) is awful though. I know he's trying to be impartial, but when a player has clearly dived or is offside he refuses give his opinion on it. On another related note, Denis Irwin on the panel has been pretty good, talks more sense than Dunphy or Giles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yes i agee Irwin is the only good thing about the RTE pannel
    he even admited refs like Mike Riley often give dicisions that favour the bigger team, fair play to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Irwin is the only person on that program who I like. The match analysis is generally better on BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I agree Irwin is impartial , and his opinion on matches are definetly the best .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Never knew he had Alzheimer’s. How long has he had it? I think the rte coverage is pretty good. I've been watching all the games on rte, in spite of itv and bbc having better picture/sound quality. I think Giles commentary is great, he speaks his mind, remember Gronkjaer against Monaco a few months back:D. He's certainly better than Bobby Robson on itv, who only yesterday was bitching on that Dwyer wasn't brought on instead of Hargreaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

The hilarious thing about Giles is that after analysing the Premiership all this time he still pronounces Thierry Henry's name as 'On Ray'. He was doing it the whole way through the last France game. I don't think its Alzheimers, it's a form of brain malfunction that only himself has been inflicted with. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    who only yesterday was bitching on that Dwyer wasn't brought on instead of Hargreaves.

Did Newcastle buy a new player Dwyer????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Originally posted by Space Coyote
    The hilarious thing about Giles is that after analysing the Premiership all this time he still pronounces Thierry Henry's name as 'On Ray'.

lol, now that i think of it he does say it that way. I think Giles is better on the panel that commentating, But i've been watching all of Euro 2004 on RTE cause i think its coverage is pretty good. Dennis Irwin has been brilliant on the panel, Brady is good too and Dunphy is......Dunphy.

Originally posted by Space Coyote
    The hilarious thing about Giles is that after analysing the Premiership all this time he still pronounces Thierry Henry's name as 'On Ray'

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151744

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

bbc are rubbish!

take alan hansen.... "uhh diabolical defending there" *get nothing new out of him ever*
    take peter schmeichel... "eh i think the problem lies with the tactics" *daft bugger *
    take ian wright.... "rule britannia!!" *annoying git*

i dont care if they get names wrong... as long as they give a good analytical view of the game, that's all they can be expected of!

However, Houghton is starting to get on my wick a bit... constantly criticising players for things you'd swear he never commited in his entire career! He's up his own swiss roll a bit.

The only thing i don't like about Giles (apart from his leeds connection) is that once he makes a key point, (while co-commentating) he tends to harp on about it!! England v France... he kept going on about england getting too much joy down the right flank!

Anyway... view Irish! buy Irish! be Irish! be proud to be Irish!!! Up Mary Lou!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

There's a severe lack of enthusiasm in the RTE commentary. Whenever there's a goal or good chance there's never any excitement, it's just "oh and look, they've scored. Isn't that nice." It's not helped by the fact that the crowd noise/chanting sounds reeeeally faint compared to the other channels.

Are the RTE commentators actually there or are they in a studio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's bizarre watching the BBC panel.

In between Gary Linekers desperate grasps to come up with a decent pun to segue (Petrov Boys anyone?) you get some real insight from the interesting (yet barely decipherable) Gordon Strachan talking about various formations and tactics and general consequences of employing such.

Unfortunately to balance that you get:
    1) Alan Hansen droning on about a game that no longer exists. Repeat after me: 'Ya kan win da world cup with 1 up/1 back. It was definetly pen-al-tay. etc etc'
    2) Ian Wright shaking his head and occasionaly interupting with some pointless comment centering around 'my man <insert name here> letting me down' once every 20 minutes.
    3) Peter Schmeichel just trying to talk English.

Give Strachan a blackboard his own show and just dump the rest of these clowns.

well i guess its time to face facts
    footballers including ex footballers (which most these comentators are) are awfuly boring people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Who ever hired Wright and Reid for BBC get rid of both they are awful, bring back Gullit I say. Pleat in The Italy Denmark game kept on calling Vieri Viera which would have been ok if he corrected it. One commentator was pronouncing Rosiscky Radzinski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I actually can't stand to listen to Giles, most people allowed access to the soccer forum here on boards would know more about football than him. They should actually make him do a bit of research before each game. I was listening to him on Newstalk a couple of weeks ago, Ger Gilroy interviewing:

Ger: "So, John, what do you think of Spurs' knew manager, Jaques Santini?"
    John: "Serious, I didn't hear anything about it".
    Ger: "Yeah, it was announced today".
    John: "Oh, Tottenham seem to be changing everything now. Who's Santini by the way?"
    :D

Advertisement