Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does IOL Anytime require CLID enabled...?

Options
  • 18-06-2004 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

... for an ISDN line?

I've a weird problem. I have ISDN, an ISDN router and an ISDN modem which I don't normally use. However, for reasons which I won't bore anyone with, I formatted my boot partition earlier today and chucked the ISDN modem into my PC.

I set up a dialup account to IOL Anytime and tried to connect. However, using the modem, it wouldn't. I changed the number/user/pass to those for IOL Free, and it worked.

Then I connected up the router and used that to connect. It connected fine to IOL Anytime.

The thing is, in the router settings, there's a dialogue for "Own number" where I can enter in the number of the ISDN line from which I'm dialling out. I have to enter + enable this in order to access Anytime (and previously for accessing UTV's flat rate service) but I have to disable it in order to access any Free net service.

So clearly the problem is that when using the ISDN modem, and windows dialup networking, this "Own number" setting isn't being entered (there's no where to enter it of course) and so the flat rate account isn't working, but the free ones are.

Question: Is there such a thing as Caller-Line ID on ISDN lines? I had thought there wasn't, that it only existed on analogue lines, but this problem seems to indicate otherwise. If so, can I simply ring up eircon, get them to enable it, and I won't have to worry about setting my "Own number" in order to access IOL Anytime? Or is there another solution to this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

insert 142 at the beginning of the number to release caller id on every call, if your anytime number is 133nn then make it 142133nn

The own number is known as an MSN (? Subscriber Number) and can affect the caller id presentation. This is normally dealt with by the modem s/w .

Try the isdn modem s/w or a control panel or task bar monitor thing installed along with the modem to see where you insert this MSN value , typically if you libve in Galway that would be either 91123456 or 123456 (can't remember which but no leading 0 ) , you have an MSN for each inbound number but only one is acceptable to IOL

HTH

M

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Ok, well, I'm not sure to what purpose you spoke about the MSN number with respect to the modem software, or else I don't understand what you're getting at.

I tried putting 142 before the Anytime number making it 1421893247365 but that still wouldn't connect. In fact, I've now tried it with an internal 56k modem on a laptop and (a) with 142 before the number, it dials the digits before going silent - about 30-40 seconds later it says that it couldn't reach a computer at the other end and to check if the number is correct, whereas (b) without the 142, I just get an engaged tone.

I should probably get onto IOL tech support, altho it's more a case of WHY it isn't working rather than needing to fix it as I use the router all the time anyway. =)

Advertisement