Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot problem with WIN98se

Options
  • 18-06-2004 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

On my second pc i got win98se installed and suddenly the problem arrised. It boots and as soon as it is about to bring up the desktop it just resets the pc. I took all programs off the startup and it still happens. The pc start in save mode fine!

any help ?

pyrogenx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

oh yeah, the pc has a dial up internet connection, so chances are it caught a worm. But i haven't heard of any that does that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Start it in Safe Mode and run your virus scanner (you DO have one, right???).

If its up to date, you should have little problem finding out if you have anything nasty...

yupp i have. but i must try scanning the whole system, if it finds something autoprotection didn't work again. never rely on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

could it be that something is overheating in system...or did u install any new memory that could be mixed causing it to restart?...maybe strip it down to the bare minimum and start it up and see ....

no new hardware has been installed, the system just restarts exactly at the same point. with an overheated cpu i don't think it would restart and then even exactly at the same time over and over again.
    could it be the cpu overheating ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

cpu overheating: Possible but unlikely,

Sounds very like a driver problem, I would boot into safe mode and uninstall all non-esential hardware e.g. Sound card, modem etc... Also any newly installed software. Then reboot and see if it loads

If you got yourself a worm / virus, Windoze 98 without a firewall, your asking for it.

Scanning may do the trick, make sure you have up-to-date Definitions, Otherwise do a clean install.

Thanks JoePC

heck, i was thinking that it could be driver problem alright. More than likely it is too, cause i installed some things recently, but after that it still worked for few weeks.

I'll give that a go tomorro too, i'll post for any news.

cheers lads,

pyrogenx

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!! it was a driver, im very sure it was the vga driver because i had a problem with that before.

anyway, thanx for the help,

pyrogenx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I had this problem before and it was related to a graphics driver problem. It was the Geforce 4 mx440 card, it installed a driver fine but once rebooted it had problems. But funnly enough it worked fine on another machine. Could have being the board not compatble with it too maybe.

Yeah this machine has a geforce2 mx400, but it always used to work. just since i reinstalled. probably because the drivers from a gaming magazine cd, so im not using the orginal ones. maybe those drivers are not quite compatible, even though it says they are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement