Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More Spitting - this time on Gerrard

• 19-06-2004 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Its not made its way onto the web yet but the BBC showed footage from German TV that caught Alexander Frei (I think) spitting against the back of Stevie G so presumably UEFA will se it and ban him for three games.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

http://www.euro2004.com/News/Kind=1/newsId=196155.html

Swiss FA have defended the arsehole saying he did not spit but is only guilty of mouthing an obscenity in French

From Gerrards reaction it was obvious he had been hit with spit, UEFA will have to follow with a three match ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Im always cautious when it comes to this topic.

I know people are going to laugh/disagree but I really think people don't realise how easy it is MISTAKENLY spit on someone on a football pitch.

It happened me. I know there is a slight difference between the the leinster senior and the European Championships but it's all football! I spit alot on the pitch - physical exertion, resedue in mouth etc etc so its more comfortable to just spit! I NEVER spit ordinarily- without the need to that is- due to the general unpleasentness! Anyway I spat while running through midfield - off the ball - and got a guy on the hand- who made a BIG song and dance and squared up etc etc! It looked bad cos we just had a tussle on the ball a few seconds before. Both of us were booked but the worst came after the game- the managers wanted to drop me for a number of games- they were disgusted. In the end my constant explanation of what happened averted such action but it was a HORRIBLE feeling when even my mates thought i did it!
    At the end of year do there were nominations named as well as the winner of the player of the year. I wasn't even nominated. I was gracious and had looked unsurprised. But my mate pulled me asside and admitted quite a few of the lads would have definitely voted for me until i "started spiting on players!" that was months after the game in question and no one forgot!

Im just imagining this on the grander scale - caught on camera - I just really feel for any guy who gets accused and punished for this in the wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have spit on people and been spit on by accident on a pitch, you kinda not aware of where players are, spat on my teammate before.

But have seen players spitting out of nastiness ,as someone once said only camels and women spit.

Last season there was a wee tussle which resulted in one of our players punching one of the other teams players (their star player no less italian lad i think) anyway after my mate punched him everyone expected the guy to punch him back ,oh no he spits on him.

Kinda weird moment like "did he just do that :confused: "

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

He spat on gerrard??? He should definitely get a one match ban! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/06/19/groupb.rdp/
    LISBON, Portugal (AP) -- UEFA opened a preliminary investigation Saturday into what it called an "incident" between Swiss forward Alexander Frei and England midfielder Steven Gerrard in Thursday's Group B game between the two teams.

"On the basis of a videotape provided by German broadcaster ZDF, UEFA opened a preliminary investigation of an incident involving Frei and Gerrard," UEFA spokesman Rob Faulkner told the Associated Press. "Before issuing any disciplinary charge, UEFA will collect further evidence including the statements of the parties concerned."

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just to update this new footage has turned up from of all places Swiss TV, it sems they did'nt hesitate to submit the footage to UEFA and now the Swizz team are not co-operating with the TV company in question.

From unison
    But, while preparing preview packages for the game against France at the weekend, a Swiss TV technician discovered footage from a camera behind a goal which showed Frei spitting at Gerrard.

The player claims he was only saying 'putain' (son of a bitch) because he was annoyed at himself, but Swiss journalists believe there is a darker conspiracy.

They allege that Frei wanted to plead guilty initially but was persuaded by the Swiss Federation to deny the charge because they had TV footage to back him and the onus was on UEFA to prove his guilt.

A Swiss TV executive admitted they did have a crisis of conscience when they found the footage but took the decision that they could not condone spitting and immediately forwarded the tape to UEFA.

The Swiss Federation has castigated their national broadcaster for the treacherous decision and the Swiss players are now boycotting the station in solidarity with their beleaguered colleague, who is now facing a five-game ban.

Swiss journalists, normally a pleasant and jovial bunch, have the knives out for the Federation and believe that Frei has been hung out to dry by the politicians of Swiss football.

Mike.

Advertisement