Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

three teams, three games, level points

• 19-06-2004 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

just read the eight rules for deciding who goes through a group if three teams are all on equal points. this could very well be the case if Italy beat Bulgaria and Denmark and Sweden draw with one another leaving all three group C teams on 5 points each.

the first rule for deciding which two teams go through is not goal difference in all matches played but in fact it is the number of goals scored against the other teams who are on equal points. so Italy has 1 goal against Sweden, Sweden has 1 goal against Italy putting these two teams as the teams to go through the group if there is a 0-0 draw between Denmark v Sweden and providing Italy beat Bulgaria.

however, even if Italy score like mad against Bulgaria (say 20-0 even) and there is a 2-2 or greater draw between Denmark and Sweden, then Denmark will have 2 goals against it's two rivals for place in the quarter finals, Sweden will have 3 and Italy only 1 goal, meaning Sweden will top the group followed by Denmark.

the Italy players have spoke out about their great worry that the two Scandinavian teams will play for a 2-2 draw and the Denmark coach even said after the Bulgaria match "sure we want to make a deal with Sweden". it is mostly in Denmark's interest to do this as Sweden are comfortable of going through even with a 0-0 draw or a win of course.

will the Scandinavians play for a 2-2 or greater draw and put Italy out of the tournament no matter how well Italy beat Bulgaria? will be an interesting match to watch, pity it's not being shown on TV as NET2 have opted for the boring Italy v Bulgaria match when in fact the Denmark v Sweden match is the real group decider...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I can imagine a deal between Denmark and Sweden being carried out , and with the game poised at 2-2 ,one of them scores a late winner knocking the other out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How the fook do you play for a 2-2 draw??
    As well Norse love ,wonder if teams have pondered that whoever comes 2nd gets Germany Czech or Holland.
    be in their interests to win the game and claim the 2nd place from group D.

But still reckon denmark will win, i really hate Sweden and that damn long ball.:D
    57-0 hopefully.

dkajc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Originally posted by KdjaC
    How the fook do you play for a 2-2 draw??
    As well Norse love ,wonder if teams have pondered that whoever comes 2nd gets Germany Czech or Holland.
    be in their interests to win the game and claim the 2nd place from group D.

But still reckon denmark will win, i really hate Sweden and that damn long ball.:D
    57-0 hopefully.

dkajc

you are obviously Danish or a big fan of the Denmark team, not to mention a hater of the Sweden team. what do you mean by that "long ball"? obviously refers to something from older Sweden team (probably a match against Denmark).

it is in Denmark's interest for a 2-2 draw, not Sweden's and i can see Larsson and Ibrahimovic putting the Denmark defence to shame seeing as how Sweden have the best attack of group C by a long shot. if you read my post above it is the Denmark coach who suggested working something out with Sweden, Sweden just need at least a 0-0 draw or some Larsson-Ibrahimovic firepower and they're through.

As in styles of football ,Sweden rely on long balls to the rather large front men most likley a short pass from centre back to full back then he Whacks it in the general direction of larsson or Ibrahimovic. they have been doing it since day one.

I hate long ball teams its horrible to watch but the Danes on the other hand try to play football and pass it a round a bit.

Just dont like Long ball football horrible to watch and in this day and age with national teams possesing the best 22 players in their respective countires seeing a team who regard themselves as good, playing long ball is horrible. Like Sweden who have the best cente forward in Europe and play long balls to him. Svennson and Linderoth are there only to make sure 11 players are on the pitch not like anyone passes it to them.

Kdjac

Sweden have just announced that they are going for a win against Denmark and have thrown out suggestions of going for a 2-2 draw against their neighbours which Italy are fearing and Denmark hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

How do you play for a 2-2 draw??

I have a feeling its going to be a 2-2 draw. with they way Sweden defended in the first half against Italy, Denmark will have a few chances to score.

I think it will a 2-2 draw or Denmark or Sweden to win.......Cant go wrong with that prediction.

Seriously, i would go for a Sweden WIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Denmark will want to win that game like crazy just to annoy thier bigger neighbour.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

y can fifa nvere leave well enough alone, it should be straight forward goal difference.
    the fact that Sweden beat Bulgaria 5-0 shud be rewarded, not just clipped off the end when it comes to deciding the group, they may as well not have bothered wasting energy hammering thm and just left it at 1 or 2 - 0.

I agree goal difference is almost becoming pointless , and if teams are level and points in Spain at the end of a season , the team with the better record against the other team wins .

and lets not forget Blatters crazy , there should be no such thing as draws , when u play cards there is only winners and losers.

they should decide drawn games with a shoot from the halfway line competition.:D

• Advertisement

not just shoot from the halfway line , but shoot from the halfway line to hit the bar .

Originally posted by Big Ears
    not just shoot from the halfway line , but shoot from the halfway line to hit the bar .

Thatll show up all the talentless no hopers that are getting an undeserved amount of ridiculously high wages for being crap, only th really great players will do well in that

so all we need is 50 thousand Euro a brown envelope , with instructions to Mr Blatter , and the halfway line crossbar idea will be in regulation by next week .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well in that case then why not make it REALLY interesting by making them aim for the junction of post and crossbar from a standing position at the coorosponding intersection of the touchline and half-way line.

I reckon Zidane could do it in his sleep :)

Soccer Am do that every week, get a diff team to try it. think only 3 players have hit the bar so far.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Originally posted by naitkris
    pity it's not being shown on TV as NET2 have opted for the boring Italy v Bulgaria match when in fact the Denmark v Sweden match is the real group decider...

If it is an consolation it will be on Tv3, i'd turn the volume down though, I hate TV3's football coverage.

Originally posted by por
    If it is an consolation it will be on Tv3, i'd turn the volume down though, I hate TV3's football coverage.

i don't have TV3, only RTE1, NET2 and TG4... :(

and my local pub will probably only show the Italy v Bulgaria match seeing as how Italy are so "great"... just the same way NET2 choose to show that match over Denmark v Sweden.

Advertisement