Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton Ghost over a network

Options
  • 19-06-2004 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm trying to use Norton Ghost on a machine over a network. I created the bootdisk from the option in ghost and it finds the network ok and prompts me for a user name and password. After this it gives me a message saying that I wasn't authenticated by a server and refuses to let me access the mapped network drive with the image on it.

The server is running on Windows 2003 Standard Edition, the client is a Windows 98 machine and I'm using Ghost 2003. Anyone ever encountered this before and any ideas on how to fix it. The manual with ghost wasn't the most helpful so I'm a little lost.

Cheers
    Rory

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

For windows 98, the LanManager is the same as for NT4, so your server may need to be running in mixed mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by rmacm
    Hi I'm trying to use Norton Ghost on a machine over a network. I created the bootdisk from the option in ghost and it finds the network ok and prompts me for a user name and password. After this it gives me a message saying that I wasn't authenticated by a server and refuses to let me access the mapped network drive with the image on it.

The server is running on Windows 2003 Standard Edition, the client is a Windows 98 machine and I'm using Ghost 2003. Anyone ever encountered this before and any ideas on how to fix it. The manual with ghost wasn't the most helpful so I'm a little lost.

Cheers
    Rory

i take it ur using 2 disks

one with ghost and one with drivers for the network card etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Originally posted by theciscokid
    i take it ur using 2 disks

one with ghost and one with drivers for the network card etc..

Yeah one disk has the NIC drivers and another has ghost on it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If ghost is running over TCPIP:
    can you ping the machine ?
    Are you are using static addresses for the 98 box or DHCP ?

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    If ghost is running over TCPIP:
    can you ping the machine ?
    Are you are using static addresses for the 98 box or DHCP ?

Yes to the first 2 and I'm using a static IP address

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

this is really pissing me off for some reason..

ok, you've checked all network connections etc..

try making a disk from the start again *including* the auth passwords ..

you can do it manually or enter it when making disc.. the
    latter is easier , and sets up mapped drive for you

double check that and get back to us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

does ghost 2003 have an issue with an win2k3 domain?
    It is a personal product (single license) as apposed to the latest corporate version 8. which was released in 2003

just some obs?

I've gotten around this by temporarily making a share on the server accessible anonymously so it doesn't require any authentication. I've created the bootdisk numerous times and made certain all of the relavent settings were correct. It's working the way I want it but I'd prefer not to have to make a share on the network accessible to everyone.

The version of ghost is a personal addition so it might have issues with Windows 2003. Anyway thanks for the help.

Cheers
    Rory

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

share as read only
    share name ends in "$" to hide from windows PC's

If the image is less than 700MB you could stick on to a CD

if you had a dos prompt on the Disk (?) and it has net.exe on it you could try something like
    net use X: /user:domain\user to check it can authenticate.

Advertisement